Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

KLM Award Ticket in Business - 0 baggage allowance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, SPG Platinum

Booked an international KLM Award Ticket in Business with Alaska miles. Looked up KLM's baggage allowance and it says look up your booking to see. So I did that and much to my surprise it says 0 bags are allowed, plus 1 carry on. Should I just assume they'll actually take the normal biz allowance (2), or is this worth contacting partner desk or KLM?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I'd say it would be standard allotment myself.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:15 am
Original Poster

maybe will have trouble

Looks like people have had issues here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...rd-ticket.html
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, SPG, Marriott Rewards
I flew both AF and KLM business last year with Alaska miles. I don't recall what my KLM booking said, but looking at my Alaska confirmations they say:

Checked Baggage: KLM Royal Dutch Airlines rules and fees apply for this itinerary. The first and second checked bag fees are waived. See the KLM Royal Dutch Airlines website for details and exceptions.
Checked Baggage: Air France rules and fees apply for this itinerary. The first checked bag fee is $200 and the second checked bag fee is $285. See the Air France website for details and exceptions
I did not call ahead to confirm, but I paid $0 when checking luggage for both flights. Guess I just assumed I would receive all the regular business class benefits (which I did).
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:47 am

I recently booked a business award of KL and the online verbiage does indicate 0 bags. Past experience, however leans towards no problem checking bags.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:28 am

Had the same problem on a BA ticket in May; went to check in online and they wanted $110/bag; despite Alaska paperwork saying 2 free.

Wasn't a problem at the airport.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

wow

what a widespread problem. looking into the details, looks like the people who had problems were on a mixed business/economy flight and they were in Paris for the economy leg. Luckily I avoided CDG like the plague on my itinerary, and am going through AMS. Might give a call anyway so Alaska's more aware of this .. not sure if it will help though.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:06 pm

So happy to have found this thread as my KLM business class tickets using AS miles have the same 0 checked bag allottment on my booking but allowed 2 free as per the AS confirmation. I reported to AS who have reported to KLM. Glad to see that it has worked out for those effected previously.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:14 pm

Had the same problem with a BA reward; and it said 0 bags when I checked in online. No problem at LHR though.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Would anybody care to post the detail on luggage allowance from the AS award ticket receipt for a partner-carrier itinerary that has a U.S. origin or destination (and thus DOT single-ticket/single allowance rules will apply)?

The full routing and class(es) of service would be helpful.

The DOT rules are complex, but disregarding elite allowances there shouldn't be any ambiguity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.