Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

PDB improvements coming on mid/transcon flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDB improvements coming on mid/transcon flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
No pdb yesterday sea-ord. No special circumstances (short turn, etc) that I am aware of that would have prevented it. Maybe it wasn't catered properly because the red wine ran out during the meal service a little over an hour and a half into the flight. Overall it was a strange flight, no nuts, first beverage service was close to 45 minutes in; no turbulence or other instructions from the captain to stay seated. The flight attendant up front seemed quite inexperienced.
Sounds like someone that doesn't know the service expectations on this flight.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Agreed.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Step in the right direction

I applaud AS for making this step and look forward to seeing the new PDB service in action. Taking a break from air travel for a couple months so maybe this fall it will be rolled out on more flights!

I do agree with many of the posters about the offerings, though. Personally I wouldn't be thrilled with those choices and would love a glass of something besides red wine or beer. I think they will spend more time explaining what they have to offer and responding to requests for alternate beverages than it would take to just poor the drink of choice for 12-16 passengers.

Fingers crossed this pans out to PDB on most flights, with no beverage choice restrictions.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by apodo77
I have never been offered multiple drinks (alcoholic or non alcoholic) on DL during the boarding process nor would I expect it. Should be noted MonThruThurs did not post he expected to receive 2 drinks it just happened to be offered to him.
DL's service standard is a bottle of water on each seat at boarding + a pre-depart of your choice before pushback.

I've been on a DL or UA flight here or there where I was offered a refill (usually when I'm on first and/or boarding is taking a while). Sometimes if I order a beer (DL only, UA's beer sucks), and they don't give me the can, the cup doesn't hold all of it, and they'll bring the rest by later as opposed to throwing it out.

It's not normal, but it's hardly uncommon either.

It's good to see AS going in the right direction. A full PDB is standard on carriers, but this is still an improvement. We had a Hawaii fuel stop in PDX (SEA-HNL flight), and I asked for a drink while on the ground (for an hour, mind you, it takes a while to fuel), and was denied. Service in the air was great, but this AS resistance to PDBs (or in this case DDBs -- diversion departure beverages), I've never understood. After some prodding I convinced them to give us water, which resulted in the whole F cabin wanting some as well.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Thank you for the thoughts and, for the record, I agree with your thoughts on a full PDB.
Trying not to shoot the messenger.

My enthusiasm is reduced because it is still limited choices, and the water is the only one that appeals much to me. Maybe I'll have the red wine sometime, but like others I'll worry about getting jostled. Sometimes I just want a little Coke Zero because that's what I like.

American's PDB isn't much better most of the time. Some FAs do a full service, most do water/juice/champagne/mimosa, and more than I'd like don't offer anything at all, with no explanation (such as late catering). I've started bringing my own water for those flights where I need to take a medication around departure time because you just can't guess whether you'll get anything during boarding.

Hopefully this leads to fully opening up the cart in the future (subject to alcohol laws).

I think in America in general, and in the airline industry in particular, there is just so much squeezing every last penny out of things that it sucks out all the joy, too. How much can it possibly save to offer just 3 choices instead of anything in the cart? Fares are up, benefits are down, it is a lot less fun.

Last edited by makfan; Jun 19, 2014 at 7:41 pm Reason: More comments
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by makfan
How much can it possibly save to offer just 3 choices instead of anything in the cart? Fares are up, benefits are down, it is a lot less fun.
It may save nothing but service time, and might actually lead to more waste. What if no one wants red wine on a particular flight, but a tray with a selection of beverages is already prepared (etc)?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by meej
...I do agree with many of the posters about the offerings, though. Personally I wouldn't be thrilled with those choices and would love a glass of something besides red wine or beer...
Maybe Alaska is taking a page from Horizon's book. The last time I flew Horizon I could have beer or wine but no soda. This seems to happen a lot. So I emailed them asking them to make soda available on more flights. The vague cut and paste response talked about watching expenses. They must get the wine and beer cheap.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Or there are a lot of us that don't want BEER or WINE, so we pick water. If soda was an option, that's where the cost comes in.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Or there are a lot of us that don't want BEER or WINE, so we pick water. If soda was an option, that's where the cost comes in.
This can't possibly be a cost issue -- they're offering beer and wine, after all.

I would guess this is an issue of trying to ease it in for the workgroup who is not used to doing this and considers it extra work.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Flew SEA-LAX today, Since there was no PDB not even water offered I was thinking that maybe the memo that went out confused the crew and they thought only transcons get anything now prior to 10k.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ctporter
Flew SEA-LAX today, Since there was no PDB not even water offered I was thinking that maybe the memo that went out confused the crew and they thought only transcons get anything now prior to 10k.
I got pre-departure water on my SEA - LAX RT last weekend.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
I got pre-departure water on my SEA - LAX RT last weekend.
Normally, I am very forgiving of lack of service, I can see when things are running late, the plane is oversold, trying to find VDBs, trying to find people to check bags, trying to find space for those who did not check carryons that board last, and especially when the actual crew arrives late and it is someone just taking care of the passengers until the scheduled FAs can get on board. (but standing around, chatting with other FAs is not expected during the boarding process) Today was just a lot south of expected I guess. It is a GOOD thing that this is unusual with AS This makes me wonder, what SHOULD we expect ..... hmm?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
Wow, that's great news! Does SEA-ANC qualify as a mid-con?
Honestly, I don't know, but I don't think so. In terms of general service levels, no, it does not. Whether they will count this flight as such for PDB, I don't know.
Yeah, it's only a 3.5 hour flight and the most common in the AS system. Why pay any attention to that....

ANC-SEA and SEA-ANC are the most woefully serviced flights in the AS system based on recent experiences.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
No pdb yesterday sea-ord. No special circumstances (short turn, etc) that I am aware of that would have prevented it. Maybe it wasn't catered properly because the red wine ran out during the meal service a little over an hour and a half into the flight. Overall it was a strange flight, no nuts, first beverage service was close to 45 minutes in; no turbulence or other instructions from the captain to stay seated. The flight attendant up front seemed quite inexperienced.
AS is making a lot of noise but the service is nowhere in the same league as the other legacy carriers on the trans cons and mid cons anymore. ANC-SEA & return are getting worse by the week. The inconsistency on the AS flights is really frustrating and getting worse. AS catering needs a total shakeup (or at least a tune up).
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOB W
AS is making a lot of noise but the service is nowhere in the same league as the other legacy carriers on the trans cons and mid cons anymore. ANC-SEA & return are getting worse by the week. The inconsistency on the AS flights is really frustrating and getting worse. AS catering needs a total shakeup (or at least a tune up).
I hear ya but unless Customer Care hears from customers they aren't going to get the message.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.