Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

By Q3, Delta expects to be largest carrier in Seattle*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)

*based on revenue

This came from this morning's Delta investor webcast of March Quarter 2014 results. The executive said that SEA ramp up was well ahead of schedule.

Also of note regarding SEA: all new SEA domestic routes are "segment profitable" for DL.

I guess DL will be there to stay in SEA, which in the grand scheme of things is a positive for competition and consumers (although AS may need to adjust to a new reality).
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dmorbust
Also of note regarding SEA: all new SEA domestic routes are "segment profitable" for DL.
Is "Segment Profit" a widely reported metric for the airline industry? I've only seen mention of yields in the past (inherently the same, but to a room of knowledgeable investors, interesting term to use over what seems to be the industry standard). If not, seems like spin to take focus away from the Intl expansion and probably less that stellar results.

Also, if the exec wanted to show that the expansion was warrented, they would want to show a high yield on these routes. Just because they are profitable does not mean they are doing well. I think there are 2 ways to look at this.

1. Alaska is known for having very strong yields on its SEA routes. DL may have been able to tap into some of that, but it does not mean they are able to compete with AS and earn their targeted IRR.

2. There's an opportunity cost to flying these planes to/from SEA. Even if they are profitable doesn't mean that could not be more profitable in another market and on another segment.

Idk, hard to read this guy.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, Starwood Rewards
Do not like DL.

I think I'll go buy another U ticket to give AS some more money.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
One four letter word captures the thoughts behind this statement.

SPIN
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 98103
One four letter word captures the thoughts behind this statement.

SPIN
Agreed - Although, the market seems to have expected worse (i.e. no profitability) as DAL is outpacing UAL and AAL by several percentage points this morning.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Well, sure, if they're pushing expensive fares.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Well, sure, if they're pushing expensive fares.
Delta had their chances when they bought Western Airlines which had a strong west coast presence. This is just p.r. and nothing more. Used to fly Delta but their tight seats and ho-hum attitude turned me off.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Of course, they do; all the longhaul fares naturally push DL up.

Let's see what the ALK 1Q results tell us on the 25th...
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Did Delta hire an Enron executive?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:31 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
yeah by Q3 I plan on winning the powerball ....

Either they still plan on acquiring AS or they are talking garbage. There isnt enough infrastructure to support that idea both in terms of gate space or ground baggage systems to all the sudden support 120 flights a day extra. So either they still plan on a Putin/Crimea esque illegal take over OR their just blowing hot air

Last edited by ANC; Apr 23, 2014 at 8:41 pm
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Seattle references from the call:

Well, we’ve been very excited about the spool in Seattle so far. As a matter of fact in the month of March, all of our new domestic markets were segment profitable and Seattle’s margin improved by 8 margin points year-over-year despite a 22% increase in revenue. So we’re off to a great start, and we have a lot more to go in Seattle. So we’re looking forward to those all coming online over the next few months. And we do expect to become Seattle’s largest carrier in terms of revenues in the third quarter of this year. So we’re well ahead of our own internal forecast on Seattle and we’re pretty excited about the early returns.

Investor:
Okay. How come Seattle was only 10% to 20% of connecting traffic three months ago, but now it's up to 65% of connecting traffic? How did that happen so fast?

Edward H. Bastian

I don’t think 10% to 15% was an accurate depiction I think it might have been a misunderstanding of what we were talking about last call, Hunter, that's got to be anything else, the full depth of our connecting close.

We saw our best unit revenue performance in the domestic system, which increased 6%. We saw particular strength in hub-to-hub flying, continued strong results in Atlanta and importantly, both Los Angeles and Seattle delivered high-single digit unit revenue improvement on double-digit capacity growth. In fact, Seattle had the highest domestic unit revenue gain of any of our hubs for the quarter.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Hmm. I've never heard "segment profitable" used as an industry standard. I'm assuming that DL means that each market (i.e. SEA-LAX) was profitable during the month of March. We'll see...DL is doing very well across the board right now -- particularly compared to UA.

AS may have to "up their game" a bit to compete. I wonder if AS has looked into the economics of the smaller jets (E175/E190 size) to see if that would work for them (or QX) to fly with both F and Y seating.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ANC
yeah by Q3 I plan on winning the powerball ....

Either they still plan on acquiring AS or they are talking garbage. There isnt enough infrastructure to support that idea both in terms of gate space or ground baggage systems to all the sudden support 120 flights a day extra. So either they still plan on a Putin/Crimea esque illegal take over OR their just blowing hot air
Did you miss the part about being based on revenue, not flights. How do know it will take 120 flights to get there??
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:21 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by LBJ
Did you miss the part about being based on revenue, not flights. How do know it will take 120 flights to get there??
Their plan is to have 120 flights a day, They said so
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by ANC
Their plan is to have 120 flights a day, They said so
With 13 gates, that would require pretty impressive utilization.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.