Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Did alaska change the terms on fly & buy miles for refundable tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:26 pm
RLG
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier

I just noticed this term in the T&C for alaska's "Fly & Buy" miles:

"Fly & Buy Miles purchased with a ticket that is later refunded will be subject to additional fees at the standard rate of 2.75 cents per mile plus applicable taxes"

Questions:

1) Is this a new provision? I don't recall seeing it before.
2) Has anyone had any experience with this? Are they actually enforcing it?
3) If someone has been charged, is Alaska charging the difference between the 2.75 cent standard rate and the 2.0 cent discounted rate, or are they charging both?

I can understand that someone at Alaska may be worried about "abuse" of Fly & Buy. (Although it's not obvious why, since they routinely have offers to buy at the 2.0 cent price.) However, people legitimately buy refundable tickets. It would be a pain to have to track one particular refundable ticket that has to be modified instead of refunded if I don't want to be charged (or double charged) for miles.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:31 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
they probably did change the terms. There was a fellow with a thread on here not too long ago that had their account blocked for repeatedly doing this to game the system. While I dont know for sure, Im thinking you would just be charged the additional .75. To me this makes complete sense. Perhaps if you wanted the funds as a credit rather than a refund you wouldnt be charged extra fees most likely
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Just call this rule the "I'm going to buy a discounted trip in EK F or CX F by buying a bunch of SEA-PDX refundable Y tickets with miles, and refunding the tickets every time" rule.

Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:43 pm
RLG
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
It's been about 6 months since Alaska added this provision. Has anyone been charged yet? I'm curious as to whether actual experience answers any of my original questions.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Starwood
How did that work?

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Just call this rule the "I'm going to buy a discounted trip in EK F or CX F by buying a bunch of SEA-PDX refundable Y tickets with miles, and refunding the tickets every time" rule.

Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by seekinghelp
How did that work?
Its cheaper to buy extra miles during a ticket purchase than through the buy/gift miles link.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
Its cheaper to buy extra miles during a ticket purchase than through the buy/gift miles link.

Eeeeexactly.

And to be honest, I doubt people are going to be posting on FT about "hey, I totally bought 20 refundable Y tickets just to fly EK F and AS never charged me the extra cash they were supposed to once I refunded the tickets", even if it happened, for pretty obvious reasons.

Hint: AS employees are active FT participants. Especially in this forum.

It's an application of the "DON'T CALL THE AIRLINE ON A MISTAKE FARE" rule...
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Eeeeexactly.

And to be honest, I doubt people are going to be posting on FT about "hey, I totally bought 20 refundable Y tickets just to fly EK F and AS never charged me the extra cash they were supposed to once I refunded the tickets", even if it happened, for pretty obvious reasons.

Hint: AS employees are active FT participants. Especially in this forum.

It's an application of the "DON'T CALL THE AIRLINE ON A MISTAKE FARE" rule...
Many of us aren't willing to take the risk to try to find out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.