Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Aisle legroom on new AS 737 layout is HORRIBLE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aisle legroom on new AS 737 layout is HORRIBLE

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

"They're both rather hefty when full and take up most of the foot well, but as previously mentioned I just moved it after takeoff."

Again, it likely won't fit. Thus, it goes in the overhead bin. I somehow doubt that you'd take it down after that. You'd just have your backpack in the overhead bin taking up space. That's what was happening to me. I understand what you mean by having a bag under your knees, but it doesn't apply in this case since the aisle foot well is so narrow that a lot of personal items won't even fit under there.

It's just stupidity by Alaska.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
What can everyone be bringing on the plane!?

I've had zero issues with this (usually have a North Face backpack or a Victorinox laptop bag). They're both rather hefty when full and take up most of the foot well, but as previously mentioned I just moved it after takeoff.
I, too, have a North Face backpack. Nowhere near stuffed full, not even close, and it still only fit in the new aisle footwell by turning it on its side. It is the width that is the problem, not the height. I don't even mind leaving it there the whole flight - I am 5'8" so legroom isn't an issue. It just doesn't fit in the new, limited space. Fortunately, that has been my only flight in Y so far this year and for flights in the foreseeable future
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Once more of the planes get rolled out, I'm sure the issue will be more well known. It's just sad that an airline would spend so much on a plane and not be intelligent enough to realize things like this.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Finkface
...it still only fits in the new aisle footwell by turning it on its side...
So it fits, what exactly is the problem?

Additionally, 60+ flights in AS F last year, the aisle ALWAYS gets the center underseat storage, with the window getting access to the window under seat storage. This is a time honored, unwritten rule of the road.

Once more of the planes get rolled out, I'm sure the issue will be more well known. It's just sad that an airline would spend so much on a plane and not be intelligent enough to realize things like this.
Why is it the airlines problem and not yours? You say this as if you've experienced it several times and have chosen to still fly AS again. It's no secret airlines are changing up the game with slimline seats, power, and onboard entertainment. Some of the changes you'll like, some you won't. If you are so against it, either buy a new computer bag so you're not inconvenienced, put your stuff in the overhead bin, or walk to another airline.

This is honestly one of the most trivial discussions I've read on FT.

Sorry, not sorry.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Additionally, 60+ flights in AS F last year, the aisle ALWAYS gets the center underseat storage, with the window getting access to the window under seat storage. This is a time honored, unwritten rule of the road.
News to me. I guess I don't fly enough.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by ou81two
I've mostly been flying first and haven't been in coach in a new plane layout until recently. I'm not sure how you redo an interior and create a problem that didn't exist in 50 years of aviation, but the geniuses who designed this new layout did........
Totally agree with all of the above comments. I was in row 6 aisle on one of these babies. I had just one small daypack-size backpack and I had to put it on its side to slide it under the seat in front. That's how narrow the footwell is....

So it fits, what exactly is the problem?

Why is it the airlines problem and not yours? You say this as if you've experienced it several times and have chosen to still fly AS again. It's no secret airlines are changing up the game with slimline seats, power, and onboard entertainment. Some of the changes you'll like, some you won't. If you are so against it, either buy a new computer bag so you're not inconvenienced, put your stuff in the overhead bin, or walk to another airline.

This is honestly one of the most trivial discussions I've read on FT.

Sorry, not sorry.
This is coach we are talking about, not F. Read the OP and my follow up (I was in row 6). You think a coach aisle seat passenger is entitled to the centre underseat storage? I can see the middle seat guy being totally ok with that; giving up his storage and his foot space. Oh but wait, I actually read your post - you were talking about F.

And I normally respect everything you say and you have a lot of knowledge and good advice but your second last sentence is a bit uncalled for. If the discussion is trivial to you, you don't have to waste your time and participate.

Last edited by Finkface; Apr 3, 2014 at 9:43 am
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:54 am

This is coach we are talking about, not F. Read the OP and my follow up (I was in row 6). You think a coach aisle seat passenger is entitled to the centre underseat storage? I can see the middle seat guy being totally ok with that; giving up his storage and his foot space. Oh but wait, I actually read your post - you were talking about F.

And I normally respect everything you say and you have a lot of knowledge and good advice but your second last sentence is a bit uncalled for. If the discussion is trivial to you, you don't have to waste your time and participate.
Trivial in the sense that AS isn't going to recapitalize and adjust an aircraft interior project b/c OP's bag is too big and they are unwilling to re-adjust.

There was a similar post of someone "newer" (I assume) on FT who was complaining that they regularly get stopped by gate agents b/c their bag is too big. No sympathy here. Their bag is probably too big, they just feel the need to complain vs. actually rectifying the problem.

The issue here isn't the seats. It's that OP's bag is too big to be putting underneath the seat.

Edit: I also like to complain
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: AS, QF, SK
Trivial in the sense that AS isn't going to recapitalize and adjust an aircraft interior project b/c OP's bag is too big and they are unwilling to re-adjust.

There was a similar post of someone "newer" (I assume) on FT who was complaining that they regularly get stopped by gate agents b/c their bag is too big. No sympathy here. Their bag is probably too big, they just feel the need to complain vs. actually rectifying the problem.

The issue here isn't the seats. It's that OP's bag is too big to be putting underneath the seat.

Edit: I also like to complain
No, the issue is the seats - because the bag will easily fit under the seat on some planes, but not on others. The bag will also fit easily under the seat of just about every other airplane in the sky. Ergot, the bag isn't the outlier.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Quintiuos,

Thanks. I guess I wasn't using words that were small enough for some people to comprehend.

The bag just isn't the issue. The issue is knee strain for people who actually work out and have leg bulk. The foot well is so narrow that my feet can't lie normally. It makes my iliotibial bands and the outside of my knees just ache.

The bag is a competely different issue. AS in their stupidity design their seats differently than every other carrier, took space that was previously given to the aisle passenger and gave it to the two others in the row.

Hopefully MonTuesWed can understand that.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Quintious
No, the issue is the seats - because the bag will easily fit under the seat on some planes, but not on others. The bag will also fit easily under the seat of just about every other airplane in the sky. Ergot, the bag isn't the outlier.
Care to reassess your anecdote?

Since this problem is tied to Slim Line seats w/power or entertainment options, this article details that this is becoming the industry norm. Notable airlines using the seats: AA (319/321/77W), DL (319/320/330/75W/744), UA (319/320/738/739/757/763/764), AS (738/739), WN (737/738).

This fact, would indeed confirm that these seats, with their weird brace placement and legroom snatching equipment, are indeed becoming the industry norm and it will soon be the bag that is the problem.

Cramped or comfortable, new airline seats still put the squeeze on fliers
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Red Herring.

The slimline seats aren't what we're talking about and the article isn't what we're talking about.

Should you want to discuss this, go make your own thread instead of threadcrapping.

What's written in that article has nothing to do with what we're talking about and mostly have to do with seat width changes on long haul flights.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by ou81two
Red Herring.

The slimline seats aren't what we're talking about and the article isn't what we're talking about.

Should you want to discuss this, go make your own thread instead of threadcrapping.

What's written in that article has nothing to do with what we're talking about and mostly have to do with seat width changes on long haul flights.
You are so out of your element.

The seats, manufactured by Recaro, referenced in this thread are the seats in which you speak of. The seats all use the same bracket to mount to the narrow and wide-body tracks.

AS FT Thread referencing the install of these seats:
Alaska Airlines Upgrading its Aircraft With New Seats and Power Outlets

These are also the seats referenced in the aforementioned article and in some of the statistics I provided (AA 319/320/77W | DL 319/320 | UA 319|320). I was merely pointing out that they are becoming the industry standard given that the largest 3 airlines in the world, and Alaska, are putting them in their planes (both refurbs and new installs). Given this fact, your bag problem is not going to be going away, and is here to stay.

Validating my point that your bag is the issue and not the seats.

No red herring here.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Im on an almost new 737 800 with an almost complete interior.. no curtain between F & Y and the seats in F are pretty bad. It seems like a much smaller cushion and no thigh support. I feel like im leaning forward. The power box is present and underseat stowage is reduced.

Lets see how I feel in an hour outside of Anchorage (enroute to LAX).
Old Apr 5, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
You can see in the photo in the link below how the seat supports are offset.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/busin...ggest-jet-yet/

Personally, I think the new seats are OK, but I prefer the BE Aerospace seats that they are removing. I would have rather that AS just kept the existing seats and retrofitted them with power, but perhaps there were technical reasons precluding doing so. However, I tend to angle my legs toward the aisle a bit anyway, so I don't find the aisle seat too bothersome.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 11:13 pm

[QUOTE=EIPremier;22656196]Personally, I think the new seats are OK./QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. The 737-990, non-ER, seats are the best, but I don't think the new one's are bad either.

Last edited by MonThruThurs; Apr 5, 2014 at 11:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.