Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

And so, the DL hatchet begins (AS elite benefits on DL cut effective 5/1/14)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

And so, the DL hatchet begins (AS elite benefits on DL cut effective 5/1/14)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by vmsea
boarding wise it's one zone behind.. but not much diff
Oh no? As an Alaska elite who's not averse to a bit of gate-licing, I've usually boarded not long after first class, with many DL Sky-priority elites behind me. On many routes, Zone 1 would be a significant delay, although there should still be overhead space somewhat nearby.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

is zone 1 all that much different than SP though? guess i will soon find out with lots of DL flights booked thanks to the December 26th DL gift.
For the purpose of pretty much guaranteeing space in the overhead bin before you board before a large percentage of people it isn't much difference. There is a larger number of people who board though because it includes people that have a boarding benefit from their AMEX card.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
boarding wise it's one zone behind.. but not much diff.

SP also gives your priority security line access though..
for those of us who have precheck via Nexus/GE, it really doesn't matter so much given that most airports are now going toward PRE at least at peak times. i haven't missed PRE since my GE interview (knock on wood).

in addition, enforcement of the priority security lanes is pretty lax at many airports. i'll just flash my MVPG card if it becomes an issue and see what happens if PRE is out of the picture for some reason.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Yea I don't get it and I fear it will get worse

Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Maybe I asked it wrong because I am so ticked off at this new arrangement. Do the base miles we fly on DL and credited to AS still count towards elite status on AS at the actual miles flown level - regardless of status?
My AS MVP is in real peril now - I am really upset about the bags especially as UA has dumped BKK.

I really have to rethink my loyalties and it annoys me when this comes mid year like this.

But are we surprised at this behavior? Not in the least. DL's behavior is like a spoiled adolescent these days as they think they are doing so well. And maybe they are, but for darn sure it won't last as in this business it never does. And then the chickens will come home to roost. Chapter 13 yet again.

Basically there are too few airlines competing. It is rare that there are 3 old timers that are strong in any market - so that leaves one or at the most two on most routes. And that means we now have a monopoly or duopoly in many cases. Gee our elected representatives in DC did us a big favor - as usual.

Maybe I just stick with UA and AA as at least they are nice to me. DL has poleaxed me more than once. Like some years ago when they pulled the PDX Crown room for a while and would not refund the fee I had just paid. Arrogance then and arrogance now. They even had the cheek to say I had too many L fares for their liking. And anyway I can never get FF tickets at the low redemption mileage on DL. Oh well it is only a corporation and corporations don't have a soul so why am I getting uptight you are thinking? Good point.

Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Assuming you will be in economy/coach, you will continue to get the actual miles flown as EQM's. She will get 50% additional AS miles that are not EQM's, and you will get 100% extra yourself, exactly as it has been.

As a hypothetical example ... if that itinerary is 12,000 miles round-trip, you would each get 12,000 Alaska EQM's; you would get 24,000 AS (spendable) miles in your AS account, while she would earn 18,000.

The only time I've ever heard of receiving fewer miles than actually flown is BA's whopping penalty on cheap tickets where a steeply discounted 12,000 miles round trip would only earn 3,000 EQM's/3,000 base (+ elite bonus, based on 3,000 not 12,000 miles) actual AS miles.
Thanks folks for the answers. Truthfully, as we both have global entry anyway, seems we are really only losing a free bag (or two), and the ability to buy up to better seats at a discount.

Seems we still get "priority check-in" (not sure if this means the sky priority check-in line or not), and zone 1 isn't so bad in comparison to Sky priority getting on the plane.

Does anyone know how this will affect our relationship with KLM? In the past I have been able to use the sky priority check-in line if the original ticket was booked on DL from the US to AMS.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
if we can just hang onto earning EQMs until EOY, i will be a happy camper. i'm too far invested in AS and qualifying via DL at this point in the year to turn back now.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS, QF, SK
The only thing I'll miss there is access to the security lines. But since I'm TSA Pre, maybe it doesn't even matter...seems odd that that'd be one of the things they'd nix.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Might be a good time to post the DL baggage rules. The $25 fee for the first bag only applies between the US/Canada and to the US/Canada/Caribbean. So trips to Europe, middle east, etc, etc still allow one free 50lb bag (in coach) per person.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...p/checked.html
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by mczlaw
{Nothing happening here...move along}

This one was like a hanging curveball. I understand they treat their own elites pretty well, but in terms of award miles usability, DL has always been pretty dismal and, as others have noted, UG for AS FF are a once in a blue moon thing. I've rarely booked on DL the last year or so and have nothing planned since I fully expect the partnership to end before too long.

--mcz
DL doesn't treat it's own elites pretty well, check out what's been going on there

If there's one thing I like about DL it's their redemption of Skymiles on partners. On DL metal, good luck ever finding anything at their lowest "saver" tier, but on partners there's only one award chart. Up until recently, which I just took advantage of, it was 100k with no fuel surcharges on AF BOS-CDG-FLR. It's now 125k, but given what other carriers have done, it isn't bad - and DL is an Amex MR partner.

As I tell others, I love DL - for partner awards. I have no interest in flying them
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Full email from AS on DL benefits

For those curious, here's the relevant text from the Alaska Airlines email. While I'm glad the preferred seating is being maintained, several of the takeaways are pretty significant (and those "complimentary upgrades" have never come through for me).

Elite Benefits on Delta are Changing

Effective May 1, 2014, your benefits as an MVP Gold 75K will be changing when you fly on Delta. We'd like to take a moment to recap the changes you can expect to see, including an end to baggage fee waivers and Sky Priority Boarding. You'll still continue to enjoy benefits like Complimentary Upgrades and Zone 1 Boarding as well as earning miles and redeeming them for award travel on Delta.

We work hard to make your experience the best it can be, and hope that you enjoy the other benefits that come with being a Mileage Plan™ Elite customer. Thank you for flying with us and being such an important part of Alaska Airlines. We look forward to serving you on board.

Your Delta Experience
What to Expect

Ending May 1:

ο Baggage Fee Waivers for Delta flights ticketed after April 30, 2014
ο Sky Priority Boarding
ο Delta's Express Security Lanes
ο Priority Baggage
ο 50% off Economy Comfort Seats

You'll Still Enjoy:
ο Priority Check-In
ο 100% Elite Bonus Miles
ο Complimentary Upgrades Lower 48
ο Preferred Seating
ο Zone 1 Priority Boarding
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:56 pm

boarding wise it's one zone behind.. but not much diff.

SP also gives your priority security line access though..
Guess I'll be going through the AS terminal if I ever fly DL out of LAX, etc. Just bummed about this for those times I want to fly DL to CDG and then AF, etc. from there. Blah.

Onward!

[edit: good news about the Europe trips still including 50lbs, though]
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by tombiro
In any case, having BA actually earn miles now helps with Europe, but the AA experience to South America has been less than awesome over the last couple of years. Maybe that improves with the integration of US, who knows.
If you've ever had the displeasure of being forced to fly on US, you know that there is no way that will improve anything. We'll be lucky if they don't bring AA down their level.
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
And then the chickens will come home to roost. Chapter 13 yet again.
Perhaps you mean Chapter 11. Although if there are chickens, it could be a Chapter 12.

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Seems we still get "priority check-in" (not sure if this means the sky priority check-in line or not), and zone 1 isn't so bad in comparison to Sky priority getting on the plane.
If it becomes the same as what MVPs have gotten up to this point, at some airports it'll be the SkyPriority check-in, at other airports (mainly larger ones) it'll be a separate line for Silver/MVP/etc, which is still almost always better than the non-elite check-in area (only reason I say almost is that if there is no line for the non-elite, then there is no difference).
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
This was not as bad as I had envisioned. I suspect things will change significantly on 1 January, but at least I know I can book DL to Europe this year. The one thing I'll miss is the more restricted choices to Europe and Asia, should I wish to maintain MVP status. I'm not a big fan of LHR, but better that to Europe than ORD or JFK. AMS, on the other hand, I quite like. Oh, and bummed about the EC discount going away.

I will brAAce myself for chAAnges to my flying hAAbits next yeAAr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.