Wiki Posts
Search

Does AS R Fare Class Credit to AA? [No]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, AS MVP Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Does AS R Fare Class Credit to AA? [No]

I am doing a SAN-BOS mileage run in April on AS metal, and am hoping to credit to AA.

The fare class for the AS ticket is R. However, American Airlines does not list R as a fare class on their website.

Anyone have experience with an R fare and crediting to AA?

Thanks,

Kevin
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:30 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Its a brand new fare class thats been live for maybe a week. I just saw it the other day. Its possible AA hasnt updated their site? I would think it should count. Its not cheaper than G and T were. Looks like they just bumped up G and T prices up a bit
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, AS MVP Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ANC
Its a brand new fare class thats been live for maybe a week. I just saw it the other day. Its possible AA hasnt updated their site? I would think it should count. Its not cheaper than G and T were. Looks like they just bumped up G and T prices up a bit
Thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by ANC
Yeah they didn't lower prices
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Has anyone had luck crediting any R fares to AA?

They still haven't updated their earning chart (https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...nes/alaska.jsp).
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Bumping this thread now that another few months have passed. Still no update on AA site.

Anyone had luck w credit on AA for "R" class flights on AS? I have a couple coming up before year end.

Thx.

--mcz
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I bet its being treated the same as AA's O fares when crediting to AS meaning nada. I alerted mods as this would probably get much better exposure in the AA forum since this is really an American program question even though it involves AS flight.

Have you actually submitted a missing miles request with American?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Gold
My experience with Alaska R (not) crediting to American

I did a lot of same day turnarounds from SAN-BOS on Alaska in April in order to attain Executive Platinum status on AA. There were 33,553 miles in R class that AA would not credit. I faxed in the boarding passes and receipts in June but never heard back - called AAdvantage last week and learned why the miles weren't credited. Ouch, painful lesson!

I called Alaska about at least getting credit with them, and they were very helpful. The rep said if I submitted the uncredited flights with copies of my AAdvantage statements, the miles could possibly be credited to Alaska. Fingers are currently crossed.

I would advise trying to change the R class on your upcoming flight to another code.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jerkymom
I did a lot of same day turnarounds from SAN-BOS on Alaska in April in order to attain Executive Platinum status on AA. There were 33,553 miles in R class that AA would not credit. I faxed in the boarding passes and receipts in June but never heard back - called AAdvantage last week and learned why the miles weren't credited. Ouch, painful lesson!

I called Alaska about at least getting credit with them, and they were very helpful. The rep said if I submitted the uncredited flights with copies of my AAdvantage statements, the miles could possibly be credited to Alaska. Fingers are currently crossed.

I would advise trying to change the R class on your upcoming flight to another code.
Thx. Good solid info. Like CDKing, I had a suspicion AA would treat AS "R" the same as AS treats AA "O". Nothing's easy any more, is it? I may or may not try to switch out of "R." Not sure I actually need the AA miles at this point as I'm going to make Plat, but no way I get to EXP. So, maybe keep the cheap-o fare and get a few extra AS miles

--mcz

Last edited by mczlaw; Sep 23, 2014 at 2:48 pm Reason: Add'l information
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:51 am

FT to the rescue again! I almost tried crediting an R fare to AA for my wife. Will definitely credit to AS now.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: AA AAdvantage, AS Mileage Plan, EK Skywards, LH Miles & More
I really should have paid more attention to fare class on my recent AS booking. Now I am stuck on SEA-SAN roundtrip next month with the outbound leg in R and inbound leg in T class. So far I have always credited to AA due to 100% bonus, EQM and free checked bags.

Now, I am trying to come up with a strategy to handle this. How about keeping my AA FF on file and have it changed to AS at the customer service desk after security at SEA. That way I hope to get free bags with AA status and with the current promotion on AS I could get double miles on the outbound and would simply switch back to AA on the return flight for T class credit.

Any thoughts or advice on whether this is doable?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by UAE777
I really should have paid more attention to fare class on my recent AS booking. Now I am stuck on SEA-SAN roundtrip next month with the outbound leg in R and inbound leg in T class. So far I have always credited to AA due to 100% bonus, EQM and free checked bags.

Now, I am trying to come up with a strategy to handle this. How about keeping my AA FF on file and have it changed to AS at the customer service desk after security at SEA. That way I hope to get free bags with AA status and with the current promotion on AS I could get double miles on the outbound and would simply switch back to AA on the return flight for T class credit.

Any thoughts or advice on whether this is doable?
Keep the AA number and just send copy of BP to AS when it does not credit. Trying to double dip benefits on the same reservation is more trouble than its worth.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: AA AAdvantage, AS Mileage Plan, EK Skywards, LH Miles & More
Think I will do that. Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by mczlaw
Thx. Good solid info. Like CDKing, I had a suspicion AA would treat AS "R" the same as AS treats AA "O".
Still a bit more than a month to go and maybe we will see a change now that AS allows credit for O class on AA.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat
Just took a good look at my boarding pass for tomorrow PSP-SEA and it's the dreaded R class. AA website still not showing. But I also noticed a number of partner airlines where fares classes earning 0% are at least listed. Not all but some. Think I'll turn in the miles and argue that the inconsistency is confusing. Only 2k miles RT but costs nothing try.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Took AS R flight back in February and had my AAdvantage number in the reservation. Did not credit. Submitted to AA. Received response about 10 minutes ago that AS R class tickets are not eligible for mileage accrual on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.