N320AS (-900)
Print Wikipost

AS flight with at seat power-thoughts

Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:56 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by baliktad
2D was my favorite seat :-/
mine too but Im not going to fight over floor stowage and will choose another row. Generally in F, except in select situations where DYKWIA takes the center and the wall space, there is an unspoken courtesy that the window person takes the space in front of them and the aisle person takes the center spot because there isnt really any stowage in the aisle slot. I dont mind stowing a bag right above me or right in front of me but if its full I cant have a computer being stowed out of my sight 6 or 8 rows back in coach
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Originally Posted by EIPremier
There are two a/c with power that have been reported on FT: N548AS and N584AS (new bins as well). These are both 737-800s. Not sure if any more are equipped yet.

If AS intends to have all 737-800s and -900s equipped by the end of 2014, they would need to be retrofitting about seven aircraft per month to accomplish this goal.
Many thanks. My next flights are all scheduled to be on 900s so no worry unless something else comes out of the barn. Maybe I'll move back to my favorite 2F seats!
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kileysmom
Is it just under 2F or under every F seat?
I was on N548AS a few days ago, and it had the boxes under every first-class "middle" section and under every middle seat in coach, on both sides of the aisle. The boxes seemed fairly narrow to me, maybe 3", but I wasn't in a seat where I could check them.

The on-seat power sockets are angled down a bit, and I couldn't see the USB port at all no matter what contortion I tried while in my seat - only spotted it when I leaned my phone down to take a picture. (It's above the AC socket.) They might not get noticed right away by any but the shortest flyers!
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Still have the photo?

Thanks for the report.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Only this one. Here's what it looks like from about knee height on a coach seat. The blue LEDs in the USB port aren't visible at all from above the lip at the top of the molding; I could just barely see the green LED.

Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Kieron
Only this one. Here's what it looks like from about knee height on a coach seat. The blue LEDs in the USB port aren't visible at all from above the lip at the top of the molding; I could just barely see the green LED.
Cool. So its built right into the seat and not down low like on other carries.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by beckoa
Cool. So its built right into the seat and not down low like on other carries.
In F it is in the divider between the seats, which is extremely difficult to find.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
In F it is in the divider between the seats, which is extremely difficult to find.
Did it have new F seats as well?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Did it have new F seats as well?
Yes, all aircraft with power at the seats, have the new Recaro seats installed.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Does the USB charge iPads as well as iPhones? I was sorely disappointed flying on the first of DL's refurbished A333s from ATL to FCO. While they had a nice big seat back monitor in coach, it has a USB charger - but wasn't powerful enough to charge my iPad. Seemed counterproductive as I read my kindle and watch movies on my iPad.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:58 pm

As discussed in another thread, the spec posted online indicates that it won't charge an iPad, but I haven't actually tried it.

I've never understood why the power equipment boxes need to be so damned big.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:31 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Does the USB charge iPads as well as iPhones?
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
As discussed in another thread, the spec posted online indicates that it won't charge an iPad, but I haven't actually tried it.
Here's the relevant post from the other thread:

Originally Posted by Kermee
"Up to three +5VDC outputs at .5 amps each for in-seat USB power applications." -- "Provides up to three USB 4.75-5.25VDC @ .5A each."

Looks like 2.5W (5VDC@500mA) per USB port so if you wanted the faster charging (ie 10W), going to need to bring your iPhone/iPad/Android AC-USB adapter.

Cheers,
Kermee
2.5W is half of the power that you get from an *iPhone* charger. You could plug in your iPad, but if you have the screen on, you'll be consuming power faster than you're replacing it. If you have the screen off, you'll get a very very very slow charge.

iPhone wall chargers (the little bricks about 1" cubed) are 5W.
iPad wall chargers (the larger bricks that are maybe 2" x 2" x 1") are 10W.

I would recommend if you want to charge either your phone or your iPad at any realistic pace, you bring your own wall charger and plug into the 110V plug. In a pinch, the USB plug will do for your phone, but it's not really realistic to recharge your iPad.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I flew on one of these planes yesterday. I think AS should put a card in the seatback pockets with info about the seat power panels. I heard one woman ask if she could now plug into the internet using the new panel so I'm guessing others would benefit from an explanation and a picture that clearly shows what's what. As someone else here mentioned the seat power panel is low and difficult to see. I didn't need to charge anything (I'd topped off my Kindle in the Board Room beforehand) but if I'd needed to there's no way I'd have been able to bend over and see where to plug it in once the man in front of me reclined all the way. Maybe others are more limber than I am. Actually I'm certain that many others are more limber than I.

As for the new interiors my first impression upon boarding was that AS has decided to visually eliminate the concept of a separate First Class cabin. The mock cabin "dividers" hanging between rows 4 and 6 don't really divide anything. They end well above the seat tops so that at seat level rows 4 and 6 are just 2 adjacent rows like any others. To my eye we now have one big cabin with an F section containing wider seats and exit rows with extra leg room. YMMV.

An FA on another flight told me that the FAs don't like the new configuration. One of the reasons given was that the new layout seems to result in even more coach passengers using the front lav. Guess we'll see.

Last edited by Westcoaster; Jan 23, 2014 at 7:36 pm Reason: typos
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
An FA on another flight told me that the FAs don't like the new configuration. One of the reasons given was that the new layout seems to result in even more coach passengers using the front lav. Guess we'll see.
Not surprised considering AS is jamming more seats in Y...

Love the part about 'plug into the internet'
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
ATL - SEA the other day, the pilot gave a pre-departure welcome speech, which included a mention of power ports becoming available, with a mention that caught my ears of " ... you'll be able to watch streaming movies ..." as though the internet itself were somehow included (if you weren't a tech-savvy person). I made sure my Kindle Fire was fully charged before takeoff, used it a lot (including watching a movie and listening to some audio), and it was barely down to 80% at landing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.