Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Where were you on the upgrade list for your Delta flight?

Where were you on the upgrade list for your Delta flight?

Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by LBJ
Originally Posted by sea_jeff
A unicorn sighting! ^

This evening I was 3 of 33 SLC-SEA for 8 seats.

Strangely this wasn't available to book on alaskaair.com as a codeshare.

Really nice F experience for a 90 minute flight. Brand spankin new 737 with a high res display, TV, movies, music and Woodford Reserve Bourbon.

USB power at every seat as well. I really liked it as well as having a pre-departure cocktail.
I can't see how you would be 3 of 33 based on AS status. The only thing I can think of was that you were on a full Y fare.
I can see a lot of elites on SEA-SLC

Also factor in FB elite plus SPG below those...
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by LBJ
I can't see how you would be 3 of 33 based on AS status. The only thing I can think of was that you were on a full Y fare.
Surprised me too. I checked in early. Was #1 of 2. Usually I just sink to the bottom of the list and end up being #31 of 33 or something like that.

I suspect the waitlist was a combination of those seeking upgrades and passengers just wanting seats.

I was on an L fare. Not really sure what that means though.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sea_jeff
Surprised me too. I checked in early. Was #1 of 2. Usually I just sink to the bottom of the list and end up being #31 of 33 or something like that.

I suspect the waitlist was a combination of those seeking upgrades and passengers just wanting seats.

I was on an L fare. Not really sure what that means though.
Were you looking at the upgrade list on the website? That is incorrect as it includes standby's. The phone app shows the correct list.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by LBJ
Were you looking at the upgrade list on the website? That is incorrect as it includes standby's. The phone app shows the correct list.
Yep - it was the website. Initially the website showed 7 seats and me @ #1,2 or 3 of roughly 9.

Closer to boarding it ballooned to 33 people on the WL.

I guess I'll have to get the phone app.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
2/21 ATL-SEA Last flight of the day. I was #17 out of 22. We ended being delayed 2.5 hours because they couldn't find a co-pilot.

On the outbound earlier in the week, I wasn't even shown on the wait list and we were delayed 2 hours for a mechanical. Got to spend the night in ATL instead on my final destination.

Last summer, my son flew from Seattle to Santiago, Chile. His bags went to Salt Lake City. Yes, they have a similar airport code.

They are suppose to be this new and improved airline but I guess I haven't been fortunate to experience it yet.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: AS: MVP, Hyatt: Platinum, Hilton: Gold, MLife: Gold
Question: does upgrade order depend on fare class as well as "normal" factors?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by TheSterlingTraveler
Question: does upgrade order depend on fare class as well as "normal" factors?
Delta primarily orders upgrades via status, holder of DL Reserve AMEX, and fare class. Time of purchase is a distinguishing feature after those. AS elites are all considered to have the same level of elite status, which is of a lesser upgrade priority than DL Silver Medallion status.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Those on full Y fares are at the top of the list, sorted by status and Delta Reserve. After that is all other eligible fate classes, also sorted by status and Delta Reserve. Ties are broken based on ticket purchase date and then by MQMs to date for the calendar year.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: AS: MVP, Hyatt: Platinum, Hilton: Gold, MLife: Gold
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Those on full Y fares are at the top of the list, sorted by status and Delta Reserve. After that is all other eligible fate classes, also sorted by status and Delta Reserve. Ties are broken based on ticket purchase date and then by MQMs to date for the calendar year.
Almost makes my head hurt just thinking about it! I was going to ask if it can be any more convoluted, but then I realized that they could just institute a lottery system on top of that.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: AS100K, AS Lounge+, Marriott Plat, SBUXG, GE, Costco Exec, Amazon Prime, Nat Parks Yearly Pass
Originally Posted by TheSterlingTraveler
... they could just institute a lottery system ...
I'd have a better chance at an UG with a lottery system
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
3/MAR DL4824 (operated by OO) SEA-LAX, 3/3, UG @ gate
3/MAR DL1406 LAX-DTW, 27/27, no UG
4/MAR DL414 DTW-JFK, unknown, UG @ gate
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:03 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
The full Y fare portion only applies to Medallions. AS elites on Y fare used to get pushed up to the top and listed after all medallions on Y fare but ahead of everyone else. DL changed that.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: Free Agent
Follow up: MVP is currently upgrade eligible

Originally Posted by mpc7488
MVP should still be eligible for Delta upgrades, AFAIK. I flew to Tampa on January 18 and was on the upgrade list (dead last, granted) for all of the segments.
So despite the conflicting messages on DL and AS websites, it seems MVP is still on upgrade lists for DL metal. It doesnt show on the DL My Trips page before check in, nor any indication of elite status. However:

1. DL phone line reps can see the upgrade requested
2. at the end of the check in process there is a banner indicating "Medallion Upgrade Requested"
3. the mobile boarding pass clearly shows AS MVP status, not sure if physical pass does
4. after completing check in for a segment, there is a "standby list" link within that segment info on the My Trips page that shows the upgrade list.

Even more confusingly, at the end of the check in process, there is an "upgrade list" link, which shows the MVP on a standby list for all remaining economy seats! I would ignore that, seems like another kink brought to us by DL's outstanding IT folks.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
MIA-LAX/LAX-MIA most of the elites travel on AA for this route... i've been upgraded a bunch of times on it as silver medallion but you may still have to get lucky...

also, LAX-MSP and LAX-DTW have a lot of F seats that don't always get used
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
STL-LGA upgraded at gate (CR900) 1/1 for 6 seats ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.