Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Where were you on the upgrade list for your Delta flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where were you on the upgrade list for your Delta flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by getoffthe grid
Upgraded on the LAX-OAK return (2/4/14 DL 4453). 1/1 on list 60 minutes prior to departure. Flight left with 3 empty F seats.

I am easily above 50% upgrades between SFO/OAK and LAX on DL over last few months, with OAK over 75%.
good to know, this coupled with consistent CR7s and CR9s gives me some hope for SMF-LAX and vv. which is a route i'll be doing fairly frequently.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:57 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by cottonpatch
As a DL DM, it's been a disappointing run at upgrades lately. They've dropped capacity to the point where there's no margin anymore and they've got pretty good pricing power in their favor. Their implementation of FCM has been a pretty good driver of extra revenue for them to the detriment of upgrade opportunities. It really pits "us against us".
It is not just DL, but upgrades have really tanked over at UA too. Not that it was ever a cornerstone benefit for me [SDC is], but the capacity cuts are much worse over at UA.

Mainline birds being replaced by 50-70 seater RJs and they are not looking to retire the 50 seaters progressively anytime soon. Some days PIT-DEN is all E-145s, most of PIT-IAH is RJs same for PIT-ORD. Those routes used to be dominated by mainline.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by MGW2000
It's not about being lazy; Delta policy is that when you board, you drop off the list.
Ive been told its two different lists. You may drop off the gate display but they still have the original list.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
Ive been told its two different lists. You may drop off the gate display but they still have the original list.
Correct. In theory, if you board and then an F seat becomes available (misconnect/no-show) the GA is SUPPOSED to board and move you up and not just clear the highest ranking person who hasn't boarded yet... in practice, this responsibility often falls to the wayside out of laziness, prioritizing getting the flight pushes on-time, shenanigans, or a combination thereof. I missed an UG on DL metal TUL-SLC week-before-last when I was last on the list yet 1D flew empty (assuming the seat wasn't inoperable). It stinks, even more so when you're low on the list and don't clear that often to begin with (I'm ATL hub-captive which really lowers my upgrade percentages, preciously as GM/FO, now as MVPG).
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, MVP Gold 75K, HH Gold
No status recognition for Gold 75K

I connected from AS to a DL flight today and noticed my name wasn't on the DL upgrade list at the gate. The gate agent told me that I wasn't upgrade eligible because I had a V class fare (though my boarding pass indicated T class). At any rate, my AS status did not print on my DL boarding pass (nor was the Sky boarding group indicated). Needless to say, there was no upgrade for me.

Also, when I checked in via the AS app, my seat assignments on the DL segments switched from window to several rows back in a middle seat. I called the AS Gold reservation line to get that fixed--the agent had to contact a counterpart at Delta to get me back into my original seats.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat LT, AK 75K, and the rest
My favorite position for an upgrade has been #73 on a sold-out flight. Can't remember from where to where, but it's nifty to note that loyalty programs have become stuffed with non-fliers who have the credit cards. Get used to it. With any luck, all programs will be similar to Southwest soon and it really won't matter who you are or how much you fly. It will be all about how much you spend and how far you go.

Last edited by Andyman61; Feb 11, 2014 at 10:10 am Reason: people are unhappy with themselves
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:38 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by golfingboy
It is not just DL, but upgrades have really tanked over at UA too. Not that it was ever a cornerstone benefit for me [SDC is], but the capacity cuts are much worse over at UA.

Mainline birds being replaced by 50-70 seater RJs and they are not looking to retire the 50 seaters progressively anytime soon. Some days PIT-DEN is all E-145s, most of PIT-IAH is RJs same for PIT-ORD. Those routes used to be dominated by mainline.
I remember flying DC10s to and from DTW-MDT talk about reduction in fleet sizes.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: Free Agent
MVP not eligible for DL upgrades any more?

Originally Posted by SamuelS
I dropped from MVPG to MVP January 1st. Last year all my DL flights showed me as "Gold Elite / Elite Plus" and "upgrade requested" as an MVPG. This year, nothing. I did call DL and he said he sees an upgrade request but then referred me to the online helpdesk (overseas call centre, not helpful) for more info.
Any resolution for you? I have a friend with a similar situation regarding dropping from MVPG to MVP on Jan 1, and a DL booking for March shows nothing on delta.com about elite status or an upgrade request. Thought I would check if you got the upgrade request to show up on the website somehow, or at least saw yourself on the gate upgrade list once at the airport. TIA for any update!

Note that the DL partner page on AS site now does not mention complimentary upgrades as a MVP benefit, while specifically mentioning it for MVPG and 75K. Of course, a link on the same page leads to an announcement page about 'new' DL benefits which includes DL upgrades as an MVP benefit, as does a matrix on the Elite Benefits page. Could not specifically find a direct reference on delta.com, but a travel agency reference page mentions only MVPG and 75K as eligible for complimentary upgrades.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

2/10/14 80 empty seats left me with 3 seats to myself on SEA-JFK redeye. 9 of 9 for the upgrade think 3 cleared (last month for comp upgrades on this route)

To add: JFK-PHL I did move on an ERJ135 (FA moved me from row 1) to my own row so that was kind of an upgrade

Last edited by beckoa; Feb 23, 2014 at 7:56 pm Reason: added content
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, CX Silver, Global Entry
MVP should still be eligible for Delta upgrades, AFAIK. I flew to Tampa on January 18 and was on the upgrade list (dead last, granted) for all of the segments.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by mpc7488
MVP should still be eligible for Delta upgrades, AFAIK. I flew to Tampa on January 18 and was on the upgrade list (dead last, granted) for all of the segments.
They are. I had to have my ff# taken off and put back on to get it to work on flights booked before I got MVP.

I went 1/4 on my DL segements

02-15 dfw-atl 8/8 for 3
02-15 atl-mex 2/3 for 4 they were selling the last not sure if someone bought
02-20 mex-atl 22/23
02-20 atl-dfw 25/27
Old Feb 24, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
On 2/24. DL 128. I was 28 out of 40. Nice not to be last on the list!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
2/21 DL 5843 SFO-LAX 4 of 4 for 4 seats, cleared at boarding (wife is DL Silver, she was 3/4, in front of my MVPG status)

2/23 DL 5854 LAX-SFO 14 of 16 for zero available F seats.

Still running about 50% upgrades on SFO-LAX shuttle flights for 2014.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
A unicorn sighting! ^

This evening I was 3 of 33 SLC-SEA for 8 seats.

Strangely this wasn't available to book on alaskaair.com as a codeshare.

Really nice F experience for a 90 minute flight. Brand spankin new 737 with a high res display, TV, movies, music and Woodford Reserve Bourbon.

USB power at every seat as well. I really liked it as well as having a pre-departure cocktail.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sea_jeff
A unicorn sighting! ^

This evening I was 3 of 33 SLC-SEA for 8 seats.

Strangely this wasn't available to book on alaskaair.com as a codeshare.

Really nice F experience for a 90 minute flight. Brand spankin new 737 with a high res display, TV, movies, music and Woodford Reserve Bourbon.

USB power at every seat as well. I really liked it as well as having a pre-departure cocktail.
I can't see how you would be 3 of 33 based on AS status. The only thing I can think of was that you were on a full Y fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.