Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Where were you on the upgrade list for your Delta flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where were you on the upgrade list for your Delta flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xelnaga
So they are just going to fly empty seats on those routes in BusinessElite?
They do that right now on international flights which do not offer complimentary upgrades to elites. It's really no different. As elites get used to the fact that there are no complimentary upgrades and seats will go empty, they will be a higher percentage that either buy a BE seat outright, or use upgrade instruments like miles or the new global upgrade certificates that will be offered to Diamonds.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
I have an upcoming flight booked with DL and there is no "upgrade requested" and no Elite showing next to my AS number.

Is this normal in the first few weeks of the year while AS updates the membership tier and for DL system to pick up on it?

Or do I need to call DL to try and get them to recognize the AS status?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Is this normal in the first few weeks of the year while AS updates the membership tier and for DL system to pick up on it?
How long ago did you get MVP status on Alaska? And is this your first Delta flight since getting status?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by meballard
How long ago did you get MVP status on Alaska? And is this your first Delta flight since getting status?
I dropped from MVPG to MVP January 1st. Last year all my DL flights showed me as "Gold Elite / Elite Plus" and "upgrade requested" as an MVPG. This year, nothing. I did call DL and he said he sees an upgrade request but then referred me to the online helpdesk (overseas call centre, not helpful) for more info.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
DL 2581 SMF-ATL #9/10 for 2 seats
DL 1202 ATL-GSO #2/2 for 10 seats ^

Last edited by PV_Premier; Jan 28, 2014 at 3:54 pm
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I was on a F ticket for my 6 delta flights over the weekend so i cannot say exactly where i would have fallen on the list. Here's the flights I payed attention on

1/25/14
LAX-HNL DL 1149 5:20PM. 2 were on the upgrade list when i arrived and there were 2 seats. One of the upgraders was a flight crew member who quickely headed to the lav before departure and switched into street clothes. I assume she was traveling NRSA which leads me to believe I would have cleared if i was a Y passenger.

1/26/14
SEA-MSP DL 2314 7AM didn't see the upgrade list but 1 seat went out empty

MSP-BOS DL 848 1:20PM. 36 on the upgrade list. 1 no show in F, GA came on board moved someone from EC to F and gave the seat to a non-rev who was last to board. If I played my usual be the last to board, I would have stolen the upgrade out from under those 36 but i was already booked in F.

Last edited by CDKing; Jan 27, 2014 at 2:08 pm
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I was #24 on the screen at boarding, but RSW - ATL is a consistently tough route. As the agent thanks all of the Delta elites boarding ahead of me, but crickets for my Skypriority bp, I add, "No love for partner elites?"
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
DL2294 GSO-ATL #8/8 for 3 seats
DL2581 ATL-SMF #38/38 for 2 seats

Last edited by PV_Premier; Jan 28, 2014 at 3:54 pm
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
1/28/14 DL 5835 SFO-LAX (DL Shuttle) 3/3 for 5 seats -- rec'd at gate when boarding
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
2/4/14 DL 4461 OAK-LAX 1/1 for 5 seats, CRJ 900 left with 4 of 12 F seats empty
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by getoffthe grid
2/4/14 DL 4461 OAK-LAX 1/1 for 5 seats, CRJ 900 left with 4 of 12 F seats empty
Upgraded on the LAX-OAK return (2/4/14 DL 4453). 1/1 on list 60 minutes prior to departure. Flight left with 3 empty F seats.

I am easily above 50% upgrades between SFO/OAK and LAX on DL over last few months, with OAK over 75%.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
01/26 - DL4875 ATL-TUL 4/4 for 3 Seats
01/27 - DL4662 TUL-SLC 3/3 for 2 Seats (last-minute no-show, 1 seat flew empty
01/27 - DL1957 SLC-SEA 10/10 for 4 Seats
01/29 - DL0128 SEA-ATL 34/34 for 2 Seats

In all four instances I had to be manually added to the upgrade list by the gate agent as my MVPG status match had just gone through on 01/22 and hadn't filtered into the DL system. I was marginally upset about the TUL-SLC leg where a seat went out empty... the GA boarded the aircraft at least twice to get the manifest straight, but failed to move anyone (me) up to F to fill the empty seat. Complaint to DL garnered no apology miles or anything other than "we're sorry, we'll try harder next time". If I'd been crediting to my DL account with FO status, the same may have happened but I might have at least got some miles thrown my way as pittance.

I have ATL-SLC-LAX-ATL coming up at the end of the month, we'll see if I show up on the list automatically by then or if I'll have to fight with the GAs all over again...
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I was marginally upset about the TUL-SLC leg where a seat went out empty... the GA boarded the aircraft at least twice to get the manifest straight, but failed to move anyone (me) up to F to fill the empty seat. Complaint to DL garnered no apology miles or anything other than "we're sorry, we'll try harder next time". If I'd been crediting to my DL account with FO status, the same may have happened but I might have at least got some miles thrown my way as pittance.

DL gate agents can be lazy when it comes to last minute upgrades. If its that close and you have a bag that can go under the seat in front of you, its best to wait until near the end of boarding.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
DL gate agents can be lazy when it comes to last minute upgrades. If its that close and you have a bag that can go under the seat in front of you, its best to wait until near the end of boarding.
It's not about being lazy; Delta policy is that when you board, you drop off the list.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MGW2000
It's not about being lazy; Delta policy is that when you board, you drop off the list.
As a DL DM, it's been a disappointing run at upgrades lately. They've dropped capacity to the point where there's no margin anymore and they've got pretty good pricing power in their favor. Their implementation of FCM has been a pretty good driver of extra revenue for them to the detriment of upgrade opportunities. It really pits "us against us".

I've had a feeling that it was coming to this, but I've cancelled my DL tickets this week and booked on AS. FCM has worked in this case, but the extra revenue is going to AS. If you want first, buy first. To DL, I just did and it felt good. See Ya.

I feel like singing some Janis Joplin...."freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose." Thanks DL, I feel freer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.