Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The "What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight?" DISCUSSION (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight?" DISCUSSION (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

And as AS doesn't serve MS...
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
they do have glenlivet on QX. i saw it purchased this past weekend on a SMF-PDX flight.
I just got back from Tokyo where airline sized bottles of Glenlivet are sold all over the city. Flew home biz elite on the Delta non-stop Tokyo to PDX. I asked a flight attendant what kind of scotch they had and was told "Dewar's". I said I don't like Dewar's. Immediatey offered Glenfiddich. Had a double and a long nap. Nice!
For F class prices, Alaska shouldn't be offering a 3rd rate scotch...
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
they do have glenlivet on QX. i saw it purchased this past weekend on a SMF-PDX flight.
I just got back from Tokyo where airline sized bottles of Glenlivet are sold all over the city. Flew home biz elite on the Delta non-stop Tokyo to PDX. I asked a flight attendant what kind of scotch they had and was told "Dewar's". I said I don't like Dewar's. Immediatey offered Glenfiddich. Had a double and a long nap. Nice!
For F class prices, Alaska shouldn't be offering a 3rd rate scotch...
This is a sore spot with me...
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
By my tastes at least, I am seeing entirely TOO MUCH

Cucina Fresca Three Cheese Ravioli
~ or ~
Trident Wild Alaskan Cod with Puttanesca Sauce

These were the main courses on many routes in October and here we are in November stuck with them again except that we get the horrible pear and arugula salad replacing the excellent Beecher Shrimp Caesar.

So is Alaska cutting back its main transcon dinner entrees to just 2-4 variants throughout the year? The last three flights I did that featured the above entrees I went and bought myself a dinner beforehand and just settled for the salad inflight.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Once they lost Chef Cliff...
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

~ or ~

These were the main courses on many routes in October and here we are in November stuck with them again except that we get the horrible pear and arugula salad replacing the excellent Beecher Shrimp Caesar.

So is Alaska cutting back its main transcon dinner entrees to just 2-4 variants throughout the year? The last three flights I did that featured the above entrees I went and bought myself a dinner beforehand and just settled for the salad inflight.
I agree about the repetition - some variety would be nice. In the past 5 days I've been served pressed-formed turkey-parts sandwiches on ciabatta 3 times and they just kept getting worse:
1) ANC-SEA #84 -- Warm, full size pressed-formed turkey-parts sandwich on ciabatta with flavorless coleslaw & a chocolate. PDB water only. No warm towels, no mixed nuts.

2) SEA-SFO #300 -- Half of a lukewarm, pressed-formed turkey-parts sandwich on ciabatta with "broccoli slaw."

3) SFO-PDX #387 -- Half of a stone-cold, pressed-formed turkey-parts sandwich on ciabatta with slaw and a chocolate. No service after initial food delivery ... FA seemed bored and indifferent.
At least the turkey-parts sandwiches were marginally better than the horrid meatball subs. But not by much. Ugh ....

Only on the final leg, PDX-ANC did I see warm towels -- and that's a 10:10 PM departure with only warm cookies. Why did they not show up on other flights? Were they not catered or did the FAs skip that step to save time?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), UA Silver, OW Sapphire
Oh, forgot to mention. I did have a PDB on AS 764 (PDX-DCA) last week; the FA took orders and delivered drinks, stopping boarding each time for ~30 seconds or so. Just the way it's done on DL and others, and no apparent impact on an on-time departure.

I had a Baileys and Coffee. She asked if pax would like "coffee, tea, or juice" but I was neither the first nor the last to ask for a little bit more.

Dave
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

~ or ~

Not sure how it is now, but for several years they had 3 menus that rotated monthly, so what you had in June on route X would be the same in September on route X. Of course, if you were to fly the same route in the same direction multiple times during the month, you would end up getting served the same thing.

Just based on this thread, it looks like there are at least four transcon lunch/dinner menus that have been offered in recent months.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
They've been serving a variation on the Vietnamese banh mi candwich, jona970318, PDXPremier, Points Scrounger, and that's what's in the photo.

Traditionally the banh mi is made with pork or pork belly, and served with picked carrots, peppers and cilantro. The versions I've had on AS were either made with chicken or pork, not turkey. And last time I checked, neither Subway or Quizno's served banh mi ... but I could be wrong.
Alaska Air's social team posted the recipe for the banh mi sandwiches on their blog.
“We loved the idea, but getting a fresh, hot sandwich onboard an airplane presented a new set of challenges,” says Kirsten Robinett, Alaska’s onboard food and beverage product manager. “We needed a way to add the fresh components after heating, otherwise it wouldn’t be the same. We decided to pack the fresh items in a resealable plastic bag so customers could add as much or as little of the cucumbers, shredded carrots, jalapeño and cilantro out of the fresh goodie bag.”
Here's the official banh mi recipe with options for either pork or chicken.

Now if only they could serve the banh mi in first instead of those horrid meatball subs and pressed-formed turkey-parts sandwiches ...
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:48 am

I received an email this morning announcing the new "Alaska Beyond" theme including the new inflight entertainment system. While poking around on the other parts of the website, I found this page about the "Alaska Beyond" Food.

I found this interesting section (emphasis mine):

First Class Food & Drinks

At Alaska, we go Beyond by offering food and drink service that is truly worthy to be called First Class. Our commitment to locally sourced, artfully prepared, and expertly served food is even more evident in our First Class cabin.

No matter the length of your flight, we take pride in serving you the very best that 35,000 feet has to offer. Whether it’s a three-course meal for your trip across the country, or a cheese plate for your short hop to a neighboring city, we take pride in the food, wine, and cocktails that we serve our First Class travelers.
Up to this point, I'm not sure I buy the "even more evident in our First Class cabin" comment.

But could other parts of the statement mean there's actually going to be improvement in the food presented in First? Are there going to be cheese plates in F?

Have they actually been listening to us?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Cheese plates are available on most flights. After the first pass in Y one can be requested for no charge. Not sure much else is changing...yet.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by beckoa

Cheese plates are available on most flights. After the first pass in Y one can be requested for no charge. Not sure much else is changing...yet.
Read the article. It made it sound like the cheese plates will be offered in F on shorter flights without a full meal service.

IMO, there's a big difference between the cheese plate being offered & available in F versus getting one only if there are leftovers from Y. (And some FAs make F passengers pay for the Y food, even if it's leftovers.)
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Pardon my ignorance, but do they even serve 3 course meals in first?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
I received an email this morning announcing the new "Alaska Beyond" theme including the new inflight entertainment system. While poking around on the other parts of the website, I found this page about the "Alaska Beyond" Food.

I found this interesting section (emphasis mine):

First Class Food & Drinks

At Alaska, we go Beyond by offering food and drink service that is truly worthy to be called First Class. Our commitment to locally sourced, artfully prepared, and expertly served food is even more evident in our First Class cabin.

No matter the length of your flight, we take pride in serving you the very best that 35,000 feet has to offer. Whether it’s a three-course meal for your trip across the country, or a cheese plate for your short hop to a neighboring city, we take pride in the food, wine, and cocktails that we serve our First Class travelers.
Up to this point, I'm not sure I buy the "even more evident in our First Class cabin" comment.

But could other parts of the statement mean there's actually going to be improvement in the food presented in First? Are there going to be cheese plates in F?

Have they actually been listening to us?
And it does state, "No matter the length of your flight"....looking forward to the cheese plate on my AS flight from PDX to SEA
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jona970318
Pardon my ignorance, but do they even serve 3 course meals in first?
Yep....those are the transcon and Hawaii flights that have menus....salad, entrée, desert....you should have had this type of meal service on SEA-PHL (although I think the bread basket counts as a course on breakfast flights....lol). I don't think it's based on flight length or mileage because SEA-DTW gets transcon service while PDX-PVR, although almost identical in terms of departure time, mileage, and flight length, does not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.