Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2015 Alaska Airlines First Class Food (REPORTS ONLY from Jan-July, closed to posting)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
This is an archive of reports from January through July of 2015. This thread is closed to posting. Please post your reports and discussion of the First Class food offerings on Alaska Airlines in this thread:

Print Wikipost

2015 Alaska Airlines First Class Food (REPORTS ONLY from Jan-July, closed to posting)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, former AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Uber Diamond, National Executive
AS 2 SEA-DCA
Jan 30
F

Sad to say the salmon mac 'n cheese was terrible tonight. Usually a favorite of mine, but no salmon and tasteless today.

Cheesecake dessert good as always.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Date the flight was taken: Jan 24
Route flown: SEA-SNA
Class of service: F
Length of flight: ~2:45 (dep 1:50pm)
Meal served: A non-authentic but tasty-in-its-own-right banh mi sandwich. Warmed bread, crusty outside, with dark meat chicken and some mayo inside. Plate garnished with shredded carrot, sprigs of cilantro, and sliced jalapeno.

I thought it was one of the better airplane sandwiches I've had (winner was the hot dog I had in JL C SAN-NRT).
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
1/31 on AS 766 SEA-BWI
Mexican Style Fruit
Bacon and Leek QUiche OR Buttermilk Pancake w/ Apple Walnut Compote
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Silver
1/24/15
AS 4 SEA - DCA
08:30 departure
4:15 flight

Mexican Style Fruit with warm fresh pastries

Choices: Bacon and Leek Quiche with Asparagus
or
Buttermilk Pancakes with Apple Walnut Compote, Scrambled Eggs and Chicken Apple Sausage

Old Jan 31, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Date: 1/27/15
Flight and Route: AS #32 SEA-PHL
Time of Departure: 8:35 AM
Length of flight: 5 hours
Class of service: First

Pre-Departure Beverage: Water bottles were at the seats upon boarding. FA later came around with a tray offering coffee, but brought me a Sprite Zero when requested.

Meal served: Breakfast

Throughout the flight we had very efficient service from an attentive crew. FA took orders from guests in the first 2 rows before door closure, and finished with requests from the remainder of the cabin before push-back.

Breakfast offered two entree choices, quiche or pancakes with scrambled eggs. Meals came with the quirky "Mexican-style" fruit plate and a choice of a warm muffin or scone.

Breakfast Menu:

In my opinion, the pseudo Mexican-style fruit plate needs to be scrapped, or perhaps served only on routes to or from Mexico. It has no business being on a trans-con flight. I was told the plates come prepared with the spice mixture already on the fruit - most of mine was scraped off before the photo was taken.

To wit: Knowledge is knowing that cucumber is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing that it does not belong on a fruit plate.

Alaska catering - heads up on this one, as you clearly lack wisdom ... Ditch the breakfast cucumber spears.

"Mexican Style" Fruit Plate:

My quiche was a large portion, far more substantial than when I was served the same dish back in October. It was a huge, flavorful eggy dish with ample bits of bacon and the subtle flavor of leek.

The side of asparagus, however, was stringy and bitter, and the grilled tomato added some color to the plate but not much else.

Bacon & Leek Quiche

Overall, it was a filling breakfast despite skipping the cucumbers, limp asparagus, mushy tomato, etc.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:26 pm

Date: 1/27/15
Flight and Route: AS #27 PHL-SEA
Time of Departure: 5:40 PM
Length of flight: 6 hours

Pre-Departure Beverage: Water bottles were at the seats upon boarding, later there was an offer of coffee only. The FA declined other passengers' requests for anything other than coffee or water.

Meal served: Dinner

The FA announced the meal service shortly after door closure, took drink and meal requests and then passed out warm towels. The load was light on this departure so there were 2 FAs in the cabin for much of the flight. That did not mean that service was without glitches.

Drinks were distributed along with "warm nuts" (that were cold). Within a few minutes the young FA came back through the cabin, snatched up the ramekins of nuts - whether people were still eating them or not - and plopped down the trays with salads.

So much for a leisurely cocktail or glass of wine and a snack of mixed nuts before dinner.

Dinner Menu

Like the nuts, the "warm" rolls that were passed out with the salads were cold and rock hard - as was the butter.

The salad had oodles of little crunchy croutons but I was hard-pressed to locate much, if any, of the Beecher's cheese on the plate. This dish was mostly lettuce and croutons.

My seatmate asked, "How did you find the shrimp?"

"It was fairly easy," I told him, "I just flipped over a crouton and there it was ... "

We both giggled.

Beecher's Flagship cheese and Shrimp Caesar Salad

I gambled on the Alaskan cod but found I had to scrape off the spicy puttanesca sauce since it obscured the flavor of anything else on the plate. My cod was surprisingly moist, but had minimal flavor without the puttanesca.

The orzo was also bland, with little flavor except what came from the salt packet on the tray. (Hint: Try cooking the orzo in stock or broth, or add seasoning during the cooking process.) Broccolini? Meh. It was sadly over-cooked, under-seasoned mush.

Trident Alaskan Wild Cod Puttanesca

I passed on the blackberry cobbler but heard from another passenger that it was passable but light on fruit and a bit heavy on the pastry.

One other comment. I noticed during the flight that the crew preferentially freshened the drinks of male passengers or offered to get them another beverage. But I did not see the same level of service being offered to the women in the cabin.

Others may disagree, but I think that good in-flight service should be gender neutral on the part of a flight crew. Just my two cents.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Date of flight: January 31, 2015
Route flown: Newark to Seattle
Time of Departure: 5:20pm
Length of flight: 5:07
PDB Offered: Water bottle at seat
Appetizer: Butter Poached Shrimp with Tropical Salsa
Entrée 1: Beef Provençal * Artichoke Potato Purée & Fresh Baby Carrots
Entrée 2: Pork Tenderloin with Wild Mushroom Sauce * Broccoli & Sweet Potato Mash
Dessert: Crème Brûlée Cheesecake * Mixed Berry Compote

Comments: I've had plenty of Beef Provençal over the years and while it tastes fine to me, it's generally never a very decently sized portion. At least for me it's not. My seatmate ordered it tonight and it looked quite filling if you were an elderly patient in your final days at the hospice.

The pork loin can be hit or miss but tonight it was a hit. A bit of salt added flavor to the not so "wild" tasting mushroom sauce and unlike my last experience with the pork I did not strain any mandibular muscles whilst chewing thoughtfully rather than gnawing vigorously upon it. Broccoli was good and the Sweet Potato Mash was really good. And get this - I don't even like sweet potatoes. I mean, I used to but then one night in 4th grade I ate some with melted marshmallows and threw up all - oh never mind. Anyway, these potatoes were good.

As to the cheesecake, it tasted so good that I went to extra effort to correctly append all those little French accents.

Overall, a good meal. I also liked the 2011 Chateau Ste. Michelle Indian Wells Red Blend - pretty tasty for a $16.00 bottle of wine.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:56 pm

Date: 1/28/15
Flight and Route: AS #32 SEA-PHL
Time of Departure: 8:35 AM
Length of flight: 5 hours

Pre-Departure Beverage: Dasani water bottles were at the seats. A tray of coffee was offered by the FA but no juice or any other beverages.

Meal served: Breakfast

The lead FA took breakfast & drink orders while we were still on the tarmac. Breakfast today offered same two entree choices that have been ubiquitous on the long-haul routes this month - a bacon quiche or pancakes with scrambled eggs.

The lack of a rotating menu also meant that breakfast started with the "Mexican-style" fruit plate. This is a dish that is universally considered to be odd, due in part to the presence of cucumber (a fruit, but one that does NOT belong on a fruit plate) and the use of a pungent spice that's sprinkled over the dish.

"Mexican Style" Fruit Plate:

I sampled the quiche on a previous flight, so this time I opted for the pancakes - mostly because I wanted the scrambled eggs and sausage that accompany the carbs.

The pancakes suprised me by being fluffy. Also, the scrambled eggs tasted like real egg (not powdered), and the chicken sausage was fine - but bacon would have been better, IMO. There also was a choice of a warm muffin or scone.

Pancakes with Apple and Walnut Compote:

All in all, I think that both of the breakfast options turned out to be North of Expected. The usual disclaimer: YMMV.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:22 pm

Date: 1/28/15
Flight and Route: AS #27 PHL-SEA
Time of Departure: 5:40 PM
Length of flight: 6 hours

Pre-Departure Beverage: Bottles of water were in place when we boarded. The FA offered coffee, but when my seatmate asked for a glass of wine she said she'd be right back. I think I may have whimpered a bit, because he asked her to bring us each a glass. Score!

Again, meal and beverage orders were taken even before push-back, so service was smooth and efficient throughout the flight. Ramekins of warm mixed nuts arrived with the first beverage service. This is a nice touch, especially when there's time to sip a drink and enjoy the snack before the meal service begins.

The January trans-con menu has been featuring the same two dishes - Alaskan cod puttanesca and ravioli. I'd already sampled the cod so opted for the ravioli during this flight - taking one for the team, so to speak.

Dinner Menu:

The salad with Beecher's Flagship cheese and shrimp was far better than the one I'd had on another flight. This time there was ample cheese and the shrimp were clearly visible (baby shrimp as opposed to mere krill ... ) and the components weren't obscured by a ton of croutons. Also, today's flight featured rolls that were warm - much tastier than the cold, rock hard ones that sometimes show up.

Beecher's Flagship cheese and Shrimp Caesar Salad:

My portion of ravioli was ample and fairly tasty. There were some chunks of unmelted smoked mozzarella mixed in that, IMO, would have been better as a melted topping on the dish. But unfortunately, the 3 watery zucchini rounds had been steamed to almost the point of oblivion.

Three Cheese Ravioli with Steamed Zucchini:

I again skipped the blackberry cobbler dessert (trading those calories for wine), but it looked and smelled good. If it had been another type of berry or fruit then I may have splurged on dessert.

A frightening thought: Catering seems to think that cucumber, technically a fruit, belongs on a fruit plate.
How long before they come up with the idea of trying to create a cucumber cobbler?

Overall this was a fine flight. The crew for the PHL-SEA trip was the same one that flew out with us the previous day, and they were a great group of people. Professional and personable, all around fine representatives for AS.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: AS100K, AS Lounge+, Marriott Plat, SBUXG, GE, Costco Exec, Amazon Prime, Nat Parks Yearly Pass
Date: 2/1/15
Flight and Route: AS792 SEA-DTW
Time of Departure: 8:50 AM

PDB: H2O and coffee offered.
Fruit plate: orange slices, grapefruit chunks and two raspberries.
Entree choices: scrambled eggs with sun dried tomatoes and basil, potatoes and chicken sausage; or, lemon curd stuffed French toast with scrambled eggs and bacon.
Warm nuts and hot towels before landing.

Flight and Route: AS793 DTW-SEA
Time of Departure: 5:00 PM scheduled; 7:20 PM actual

PDB: H2O at seats.
Salad: farro.
Entree choices: blackened chicken with, drumroll please... polenta and creamed spinach all drowned in a brown sauce; or, salmon mac and cheese with broccoli.
Dessert: Chuckanut huckleberry cheesecake from Chuckanut Bay Foods in Bellingham.
Warm nuts served before landing.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Flight and Route: AS #27 SAN-SEA
Time of Departure: 2:40PM
Length of flight: 2.5 hours
Class of service: Where else?
Meal: Lunch

My first non transcon meal in a long time. A crew of 4 on board and 4 trainees. 2 of the trainees worked up front so service was good and someone was almost always in the aisle.

Meal was Chicken Caesar. New beer on-board was Alaska Brewing Freeride APA (American Pale Ale), The Alaskan Amber and Miller were still available. Nice change

Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:14 am

Date: 1/29/15
Flight and Route: AS #97 SEA-ANC
Time of Departure: 2:20 PM
Length of flight: 3.5 hours

Pre-Departure Beverage: There was no water or any PDB offered, and no reason why it should not have been provided. There was no delay or other problems with boarding.

The lead FA came by after takeoff with the crate of water bottles and passed them out before taking drink & lunch orders.

Meal served: Lunch

Hot towels were passed, then drinks were served - with the wine in tumblers. The snack mix packets were passed out directly from the clear plastic 'garbage bag' used by catering for delivery. Really. Some things you just can't make up.

That delivery method was a rather different level of service when compared to FAs who bring a tray of snacks, or who bring them individually along with the beverages.

Lunch was the horrid pressed-formed turkey-parts sandwich with spicy slaw that was ubiquitous on flights back in October/November.

My sandwich was soggy since it was plated on top of the slaw, making it impossible to pick up and eat. Meh.

I would have preferred to have the fruit plate from Y, but that wasn't possible due to a completely full flight.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Date of flight: February 2, 2015
Route flown: Seattle to Newark
Time of Departure: 3:55pm
Length of flight: 4:30
PDB Offered: Don't know
Appetizer Salad: Aragula with Grilled Pear * Walnuts and Blue Cheese Crumbles * Dinner Roll
Entrée 1: Trident Parmesan Crusted Alaska Cod * Scalloped Potatoes * Sautéed Red Chard
Entrée 2: Cheese Tortellini with Cherry Tomato Sauce * Italian Sausage
Dessert: Warm Apple Pie
Comments: Sold out flight due to weather concerns back east, so I ended up back behind the curtain with the Great Unwashed. I picked up a copy of the menu as I got off in Newark. I did however take note of the list of elites on the drink cart. 29 Golds and 8 75Ks in the back of the plane. BOB option was Shepherd's Pie and chili. I would've opted for one of those but I'd already purchased a bowl of chicken and veggies from Waji's. Mmmm!
Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:16 am

Date of flight:Feb 1, 2015
Route: AS 65 SEA -KTN
Duration: 1 hour 37 min

PDP of Dasani water bottle. Warm towel was served.

Breakfast was some horrid combination of powered scrambled eggs, hockey puck sausage patty and some kind of corn bread something covered in spaghetti sauce.

Truly a let down from our other meals to/from KTN-OGG. I forgot to take note of the meal options, so I apologize for not being able to report. Both legs SEA-OGG and OGG-SEA they ran out of a meal choice by the time they got to us (4A/C). Service on the the SEA-OGG flight was iffy with an elderly FA who kept on forgetting to bring us service item. The options were a seafood dish and short ribs. We both had to get the short ribs to the disappointment of hubby. No warm nuts. (ETA: I overheard the FA tell 3D that they've already run out of the seafood dish.)

Service on OGG-SEA was much better and more attentive. Choice was a red curry chicken or a beef dish. I wanted the chicken but of course they had run out already.

What would AS do if the choices for a meal was a shellfish dish or chicken and the person in 4F was allergic to shellfish and that's all they had left?

They need to revisit the loading of 8 dishes each.

Last edited by CBear; Feb 3, 2015 at 11:27 am
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:04 pm

Feb 1, 2015
AS812 OGG-SJC, F
Pre-Departure Beverage service - Individual/small Dasani water bottle

Menu

Duck Spring Roll App.

Thai Chicken

After the meal I fell asleep and skipped dessert.

The food was decent. Next time I'd like to try the pork chop.

-David

(relocated/edited from the Discussion thread)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.