Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SFO Board Room now closed eff. June 2014--see separate thread re: CX lounge access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
SFO AS BR closed June 2014.

AS moved terminals August 20th.

AS started using the SFO CX Lounge August 22, 2014 for Boardroom members.

Please follow discussion of the CX SFO lounge here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23453275-post205.html
Print Wikipost

SFO Board Room now closed eff. June 2014--see separate thread re: CX lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by makfan
which really sucks when your flight takes a two-hour ATC delay after you have already left to go to the airport.
This is a great point. SFO has more than its share of delays. There really should be a lounge option.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by pdxray
This is a great point. SFO has more than its share of delays. There really should be a lounge option.
I've had people argue that they don't care about a lounge at their originating airport, because they like to time it to get through security just minutes before boarding begins. But SFO delays are often creeping and not posted until fairly close to boarding time. (I try to look at the inbound aircraft and predict delays, but really just prefer to go to the airport and stake out a spot in the lounge in case I need to rework a connecting flight or something.)

I always use the lounge at the originating airport; sometimes connections are too tight to make it worthwhile to use the lounge (here's looking at you, SEA N gates).

Yeah, the A concourse will be nicer than the B concourse in terms of food and shopping, but I understand there is no PreCheck at the A checkpoint. I am so over the scanner/pat down that it may push me to UA non-stops for my YVR trips.

By the way, the language on the Alaska Boardroom page indicates that we already have access to any Delta Sky Club if we have a same-day boarding pass for either AS or DL. I'm not sure they would need to make special arrangements (although perhaps there are i's to dot and t's to cross since DL might see much more traffic after the BR closes at SFO). There are two DL SkyClubs (currently) at SFO. The domestic one is pre-security, I believe, and will surely be impacted by T1 construction plans at some point. It's also a hike from there to the A security checkpoint and the train doesn't really save that much time because the train station is itself a hike from the DL pier. The A club is post-security but I understand its future is uncertain due to DL planned service cuts.

My membership is up at the end of March, so much to consider over the next 90 days.

Last edited by makfan; Jan 10, 2014 at 4:06 pm Reason: Add DL info
Old Jan 10, 2014, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Yeah, the A concourse will be

By the way, the language on the Alaska Boardroom page indicates that we already have access to any Delta Sky Club if we have a same-day boarding pass for either AS or DL. I'm not sure they would need to make special arrangements (although perhaps there are i's to dot and t's to cross since DL might see much more traffic after the BR closes at SFO). There are two DL SkyClubs (currently) at SFO. The domestic one is pre-security, I believe, and will surely be impacted by T1 construction plans at some point. It's also a hike from there to the A security checkpoint and the train doesn't really save that much time because the train station is itself a hike from the DL pier. The A club is post-security but I understand its future is uncertain due to DL planned service cuts.

My membership is up at the end of March, so much to consider over the next 90 days.
(1) The T-1 DL Skyclub is no more than a 10 minute hike to the A gate security. In fact, one can walk around the entire inner ring of the airport (touching the security entrances for every pier) within a 20 minute brisk walk. The train doesn't save anyone time. That said,
(2) Without A gate pre-check, one needs to plan at least 30 minutes from lounge departure to post-A security (via premium lane). I hate, hate, hate A pier security, to the point of wanting to complain to the TSA about it each time I use it.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
(1) The T-1 DL Skyclub is no more than a 10 minute hike to the A gate security. In fact, one can walk around the entire inner ring of the airport (touching the security entrances for every pier) within a 20 minute brisk walk. The train doesn't save anyone time. That said,
(2) Without A gate pre-check, one needs to plan at least 30 minutes from lounge departure to post-A security (via premium lane). I hate, hate, hate A pier security, to the point of wanting to complain to the TSA about it each time I use it.
1) I never personally use the train unless I am going to the rental car center for whatever reason.

2) I, too, abhor the A security checkpoint. I hate the A security lane so much that I may actually shift business away from Alaska so I don't have to deal with it.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
The last couple times I've flown from A on Alaska, security hasn't been too bad, but I haven't flown out during a big international push. Hopefully TSA at A gives out the PreCheck cards which at least save you from taking your shoes off and going thru the MMWs.

When's AS moving?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
The last couple times I've flown from A on Alaska, security hasn't been too bad, but I haven't flown out during a big international push. Hopefully TSA at A gives out the PreCheck cards which at least save you from taking your shoes off and going thru the MMWs.

When's AS moving?
It looks like June.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tusphotog

When's AS moving?
I've never experienced long lines. The problem is that the premium line merges with the next line for the same NOS. Once your bag goes on the belt, they make you go to the back of the line waiting for the NOS (2 belts merging from both sides to 1 NOS), while your carry-on is separated from you for quite some time, and if you speak up about it, they don't care, and give you lip. I have also been given grief about my contact lens solution (you know, the larger bottles that they test from time to time, but are allowed).
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
I've never experienced long lines. The problem is that the premium line merges with the next line for the same NOS. Once your bag goes on the belt, they make you go to the back of the line waiting for the NOS (2 belts merging from both sides to 1 NOS), while your carry-on is separated from you for quite some time, and if you speak up about it, they don't care, and give you lip. I have also been given grief about my contact lens solution (you know, the larger bottles that they test from time to time, but are allowed).
Outside of Miami I think SFO is the worst TSA station in the country. Just my opinion
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:17 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I sent in an email to customer care regarding the closure and got the following response, which appears to be good news for Board Room members, but I am unsure how this will impact people who access the lounge by other means (Skyclub membership, Priority Pass, etc):

Dear Mr. Ryandc99,

I appreciate that you took the time to contact Alaska Airlines with regard to Terminal 1 in San Francisco being demolished and rebuilt.

We will be transferring our operations in San Francisco to the International Terminal during the rebuild of Terminal 1. During this time our Boardroom members will have access to a partner lounge that will be located nearby. Unfortunately, we do not have all of the details at this time, our website will be updated as more information is available.

Mr. Ryandc99, thank you very much for writing. We look forward to welcoming you aboard an Alaska Airlines flight in the near future.
Sincerely,
xxxx
Customer Care Representative
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:16 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
According to the priority pass website, this lounge will be closing it's doors Permanatly on June 18, 2014.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryandc99
According to the priority pass website, this lounge will be closing it's doors Permanatly on June 18, 2014.

I'll miss it. I've spent many an hour and many a part-of-day in there. It was the start of many a great trip. It was the haven from many a delayed flight. It was the clean toilet in a pit of a terminal. It was the place of many a lovely chat with those who have represented the Eskimo well over the past two-plus decades. I'm now scrambling to remember the names of the two principal concierge of ca. 1990 (I think that was about when Joanne came, but there were two others). One I kept in touch with for a bit after she moved to AZ.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:37 am

Another 'A' gate departure this morning. Sigh. At least the Delta room should be open this time.

FYI: SFO International A gates have a full PreCheck line now.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:57 pm

Another 'A' gate departure this morning. Sigh. At least the Delta room should be open this time.

That is great news regarding PreCheck!

I've booked more flights from OAK and SMF because of the gate change and unfortunately upped my OAK - LAX frequency on Delta. Maybe I'll shoehorn in a couple of SFO - PSP trips to see if the cluster is tolerable.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Great to hear. I've been known to do some serious grumbling there as novices headed for int'l flights struggle with the complexities of US preflight security. That's also the one checkpoint in the last few years where I actually pulled out the TSA Blog info verifying that my MacBook Air didn't need to come out of the bag only to be told that their station can create whatever rules they want and that they decline to follow the general guidance.

--mcz
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
That's great news.

Also, Terminal A has the Clear card access as well, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.