Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL offering 2x on new SEA routes...AS?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:38 am
Original Poster

DL offering 2x on new SEA routes...AS?

DL announced double miles today SEA-SFO, LAS, LAX. Wondering what the AS response will be! I assume they'll match...
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:06 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Wow, DL is definitely going to challenge AS on those routes, not just providing feed for themselves.

I expect AS to match this promo by the end of the day and the promo will be advertised in the weekly newsletter on Tuesday.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Wow, DL is definitely going to challenge AS on those routes, not just providing feed for themselves.

I expect AS to match this promo by the end of the day and the promo will be advertised in the weekly newsletter on Tuesday.
They're already running a promo: 5K for 2 RT's, 10K for 3 RT's for travel between 20 Aug and 12 Nov. Applicable to:

SEA-BOS
SEA-LAS
SEA-LAX
SEA-PHL
SEA-SFO

PDX-ATL
PDX-ORD
PDX-DFW
PDX-LAS
PDX-LAX
PDX-SFO

http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/Promo/...1||&pid=AS1308

Would be highly unusual to run another (stacked) promo on top of this one. Suspect AS' reaction will be nothing, or further advertising the existing promo.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
AS's promo expires 11/12. DL's will expire on 12/31/14.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K

Considering DL doesn't fly SEA-SFO until next year, and their offerings on SEA-LAS/LAX are fairly meager at the moment (compared to AS), AS will have plenty of time to match this promo. But I expect them to match it.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Considering DL doesn't fly SEA-SFO until next year, and their offerings on SEA-LAS/LAX are fairly meager at the moment (compared to AS), AS will have plenty of time to match this promo. But I expect them to match it.
Now that baliktad pointed out the current promo, it might make sense if they announce a promo match in mid Jan after the peak holiday travel season is over.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Now that baliktad pointed out the current promo, it might make sense if they announce a promo match in mid Jan after the peak holiday travel season is over.
Agree.

Could be like SEA-ANC 3x miles bonus this summer...
Old Oct 19, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I'm sure that AS management is closely analyzing the data right now to determine whether and/or how to match. I would assume that there would be some competitive response, but the question is whether they need to do double miles on every flight during the time period.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
AS's promo expires 11/12. DL's will expire on 12/31/14.
Not exactly true. DL promo must be booked by 12/31/13 for travel through 10/31/14.

Despite the long term of the promo, its very limited by the booking window.

Jiburi
Old Oct 21, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS 75k
DL's miles aren't worth much, anyway. An extra 1600-1900 miles isn't going to make or break the decision to fly AS vs DL. What will matter is if DL decides to undercut AS fares on these routes, forcing AS to match.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.