Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stopover on award to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Stopover on award to Hawaii

Does Alaska allow a stopover in continental US on the way to Hawaii?

Thanks
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by mfr2000
Does Alaska allow a stopover in continental US on the way to Hawaii?

Thanks
Google is one heckuva friend. I found this doing a search, copying the title of your thread and adding the words "Alaska Airlines". And found this seemingly pertinent article from Online Travel Review. Here's the info you seek:

A Recap of Rules for Stopovers on Award Tickets to Hawaii

The whole OTR family is heading off to Hawaii (Brady Bunch style?) in August, and I’ve booked the award on United with a 3-day stopover to visit some friends in Los Angeles on the way back to New York.

The rules about stopovers on award tickets to Hawaii vary pretty significantly for each airline, so I thought I’d recap it here:

ALASKA
Alaska Airlines allows TWO stopovers per roundtrip ticket, or ONE stopover for a one-way ticket (this is true for all of their destinations). This is quite generous, as you’ll see from the other airlines below.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

That's awesome. Thank you!!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Just note the following added detail (from this page), emphasis mine:

Round-trip itineraries with 2 stopovers, or one-way awards with 1 stopover may only be booked through an Alaska Airlines call center. They are not available online. Call center ticketing fees apply.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Awesome, thank you!
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
The website has added a lot of functionality in the past year or so- you may not need to call in and pay. Try your trip as one-ways with stopovers at alaskaair.com first.

Your RT itin with 2 stopovers will have 4 separate legs, search each separately. Once you know what dates have availability, enter them in the multi city search. It should be possible to do online.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evoG
The website has added a lot of functionality in the past year or so- you may not need to call in and pay. Try your trip as one-ways with stopovers at alaskaair.com first.

Your RT itin with 2 stopovers will have 4 separate legs, search each separately. Once you know what dates have availability, enter them in the multi city search. It should be possible to do online.

I have tried that with all Alaska metal after I found the individual segments, but it did not work for me.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 10:37 am
Community Director Emerita

This is great information, just what I needed to know. I'm blessed that San Diego is a gateway city for Alaska, so this rule will allow me to fly in from OGG to home, then "bank" a flight to use on a future trip.

Originally Posted by dave1013
ALASKA
Alaska Airlines allows TWO stopovers per roundtrip ticket, or ONE stopover for a one-way ticket (this is true for all of their destinations). This is quite generous, as you’ll see from the other airlines below.
Good to know that I need to call.

Originally Posted by dave1013
Just note the following added detail (from this page), emphasis mine:

Round-trip itineraries with 2 stopovers, or one-way awards with 1 stopover may only be booked through an Alaska Airlines call center. They are not available online. Call center ticketing fees apply.
It would be even better if I could book onine without a fee.

Originally Posted by evoG

Any more recent reports potentially giving success with online booking?

Originally Posted by mfr2000
I have tried that with all Alaska metal after I found the individual segments, but it did not work for me.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

If you book two one ways online you should have luck. And remember with AS now, if the flight is 60+ days out (as of October 30, 2013) there is no change fees)
Old Nov 24, 2013, 9:28 pm

Yes, this is a hidden gem in the program.

If you are thinking of using miles for AS travel, I always tell people to wait and book East Coast - Hawaii with a stopover on the west coast.

I had some friends in Portland looking to book a PDX - BOS RT using miles, and I talked them into buying a PDX-BOS fare and using miles for BOS-PDX-LIH with a stopover in PDX.

I suppose the same idea would work on trips to Anchorage

Last edited by Orwaid; Nov 25, 2013 at 8:17 pm
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
FT is always FULL of good tips, Thanks, Orwaid, for sharing that strategy!
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:38 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
We've done something similar -- we've friends in Portland - so we've routed Phoenix/Portland, stayed with them for a few days, then Portland/Kona for 8 days, the Kona/Portland, stayed two days, and Portland/Phoenix.

We call it a two suitcase trip - one for the Portland winter, one for Hawaii.

Our friends meet us on the return from Kona with our jackets <smile>
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:41 am

are date changes free if made after having flown the first segment and still 60 days before the departure of the second segment after the stopover on a 1-way award?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.