Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to earn AS miles flying US Airways? CURRENT ANSWER: NO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it possible to earn AS miles flying US Airways? CURRENT ANSWER: NO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: LH, BA
Originally Posted by jackal
Welcome!

There have not been any changes since post #2 in this thread, which I think succinctly answers your question.
That helps, thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by vvbkumar
That helps, thanks!
It ends up booking under a US flight number so not eligible
Old Apr 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by CDKing
It ends up booking under a US flight number so not eligible
Ugh, sleep deprivation. I missed the part about "AA operated." The answer is the same, though, for the reason you mentioned.

That said, you might be able to get around it with the old "email AS the AA BP" trick, but since they also ask for the ticket receipt, that probably won't work, either.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: LH, BA
Ugh, sleep deprivation. I missed the part about "AA operated." The answer is the same, though, for the reason you mentioned.

That said, you might be able to get around it with the old "email AS the AA BP" trick, but since they also ask for the ticket receipt, that probably won't work, either.
I was thinking i could give AS FF details when checking in at AA desk. But as CDKing mentioned since it will be a US flight no, that will not be possible either.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The title of the thread was AA flying US so its understandable even when awake :P

Originally Posted by vvbkumar
I was thinking i could give AS FF details when checking in at AA desk. But as CDKing mentioned since it will be a US flight no, that will not be possible either.
When i did my dummy booking I was able to add AS # when logging into AA, well technically Record locator didn't pull it up directly on the AA site but US site pushed me to the AA one. I was able to select MCE.

Also note if one has TT# is to call american and have them update secure flight data. I had put First Middle Last in three different fields but it transferred to AA with First Middle in the first name field. Middle name field was blank.

Now its always possible that the miles will post BUT to this day i don't believe any one has reported back a yes or no were just going based on the usual AS mileage earning guidelines.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by CDKing
Also note if one has TT# is to call american and have them update secure flight data. I had put First Middle Last in three different fields but it transferred to AA with First Middle in the first name field. Middle name field was blank.
I just flew an AA itinerary where my first and middle name were put in the first name field and still received PreCheck.

With AA starting SEA-PHX in June, I'm hoping to see US flights earn AS miles within the next couple of months.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
With AA starting SEA-PHX in June, I'm hoping to see US flights earn AS miles within the next couple of months.
+1. AA is starting PHX-SNA as well and I think one other PHX route.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
There will be a fair amount of cross-fleeting between AA and US, effective July 2 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ed-routes.html
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by diver858
There will be a fair amount of cross-fleeting between AA and US, effective July 2 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ed-routes.html
So when does cross crediting for MP begin?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by beckoa
So when does cross crediting for MP begin?
Not clear why the AA-AS reciprocal benefits have not yet been extended to US, if that will happen. Until / unless that occurs, MP can be earned on AA metal flying traditionally US routes, starting in July.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diver858
Not clear why the AA-AS reciprocal benefits have not yet been extended to US, if that will happen. Until / unless that occurs, MP can be earned on AA metal flying traditionally US routes, starting in July.
AA&US have bigger things to worry about. US wil be obsolete by early next year so to me it would be a waste of time and energy to implement
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:29 pm

You'd think that an AA codeshare operated by US should be easy to implement for credit. AS would just need to allow those flight numbers in its list.

I know this thread's about the opposite, but has anyone booked an AA flight operated by US recently, on the AA website with AS FF info, and tried to credit it to AS? I might have a short flight coming up and am inclined to give it a try if no one else has recently.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
You'd think that an AA codeshare operated by US should be easy to implement for credit. AS would just need to allow those flight numbers in its list.

I know this thread's about the opposite, but has anyone booked an AA flight operated by US recently, on the AA website with AS FF info, and tried to credit it to AS? I might have a short flight coming up and am inclined to give it a try if no one else has recently.
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil.../american.aspx

(3rd time in this thread this link has been brought up, BTW)

To qualify for mileage accrual, please note that your flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below and your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
It is my experience that AS wants operating carrier = marketing carrier, unless it's on it's own metal. Cases where it doesn't match risk not accruing miles on the ticket.

It also seems to me that a small pile of Avios that you accrue US flights to (if you don't want to be in the US program) is not the worst thing in the world (4500 Avios gets you one segment <651 miles on AS, even less + cash gets you a US or AA flight).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 30, 2014 at 1:13 pm
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil.../american.aspx

(3rd time in this thread this link has been brought up, BTW)

It is my experience that AS wants operating carrier = marketing carrier, unless it's on it's own metal. Cases where it doesn't match risk not accruing miles on the ticket.

It also seems to me that a small pile of Avios that you accrue US flights to (if you don't want to be in the US program) is not the worst thing in the world (4500 Avios gets you one segment <651 miles on AS, even less + cash gets you a US or AA flight).
I wasn't disputing how they credit. I'm just saying it should be pretty easy to bring in US flights if they wanted to. More of a curiosity than anything, but I might try and credit a US-operated AA flight number on a short hop in the near future.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PWMTrav

Give it a try and report back, also make sure it doesnt book into the 1 non mileage earning fare bucket.

I dont think its as easy as just adding some flight numbers to the AS site. Since US and AA are still 2 separate companies it would most likely require US and AS to enter a partnership agreement. Seems like a lot of pain for short term gain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.