Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines 2013 rebranding/possible name change speculation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by:
Post #248 by pdxasflyer (referencing a.net) includes the purported refreshed wordmark and a Youtube video of an ad using the new mark.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG

On a recent flight, a FA stated "that within the next year, AS is changing its name." Management, according to the FA, doesn't want to be called "Alaskan" on the East Coast.

Thoughts on what it will be?
Northwest?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Sounds very far-fetched to me. It only makes sense if AS aspires to be a national network carrier. The Alaska name has enormous positive brand equity on the west coast and in, well, Alaska.

It's not "Alaskan" anyway, BTW...

FAs are not known for reliable predictions...
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
This conjures up memories of the proposed aircraft logo switch ~10 years ago. Management wanted to replace the smiling Eskimo headshot with a stylized mountain image. In the court of public opinion, the idea was not unlike the FY-1981 Federal budget, which landed with a thud in the White House and elicited a famous quote from President Reagan that it was dead on arrival. Accordingly, the idea of a stylized mountain logo quickly went away, with management saying "We heard you" while in full retreat.

In my opinion, the word "Alaska" (not "Alaskan") still has major marketing appeal and it would be a mistake to change this horse in the middle of the stream. I mean, AS appears to have done fantastically well from a dollars-and-sense standpoint with the title "Alaska Airlines". I wouldn't want to do anything to rock the boat, but that's just my two cents.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by dave1013
In the court of public opinion, the idea was not unlike the FY-1981 Federal budget, which landed with a thud in the White House and elicited a famous quote from President Reagan that it was dead on arrival.
I agree with you on the likelihood of a name change, but in an effort to correct history, it was Reagan's budgets that were quoted as "dead on arrival" when they were submitted to the Congress in the early 1980s.

The President proposes, the Congress disposes. Or at least it used to.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by dgreen12
I agree with you on the likelihood of a name change, but in an effort to correct history, it was Reagan's budgets that were quoted as "dead on arrival" when they were submitted to the Congress in the early 1980s.

The President proposes, the Congress disposes. Or at least it used to.
Point taken; but he did say those words.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:11 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
The biggest flaw with this rumor is that it assumes people on the West Coast care what people on the East Coast think.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by dave1013
In my opinion, the word "Alaska" (not "Alaskan") still has major marketing appeal and it would be a mistake to change this horse in the middle of the stream. I mean, AS appears to have done fantastically well from a dollars-and-sense standpoint with the title "Alaska Airlines". I wouldn't want to do anything to rock the boat, but that's just my two cents.
There's a cruise line named Norwegian whose ships usually don't sail anywhere near Norway. It does just fine. You don't hear rumors of a name change to Seven Seas Cruises, or whatever, because it doesn't want to be called Norwegian on the west coast or in the South Seas.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: AS 75k, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
I've heard "US Airways" is coming available soon. Maybe they'll call themselves that?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I heard similar 'galley talk' two months ago. It kinda scares me...as much as I understand AS trying to keep competitive and relevant as its service expands, not just East but South too. The same FA's also talked of extra service to some DL hubs too that did come to fruition...

At this point it is all rumors.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Likewise, the "Southwest" Airlines route map certainly extends to places far beyond the Southwest. Don't think people flying BWI-PWM particularly care about the name.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I never trust "rumors" from front line employees. Most of the time they dont know what they are talking about especially something that high above their paygrade
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Lunamoth
On a recent flight, a FA stated "that within the next year, AS is changing its name." Management, according to the FA, doesn't want to be called "Alaskan" on the East Coast.
That's OK, they're not called "Alaskan" on the west coast either
Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
What reason could there possibly be to change names? As others have stated, Southwest, Northwest, Norwegian, Holland American lines just to name a few, have had no problems thriving in markets other than their namesakes.

In the case of Valujet, selling/changing names to become AirTran made sense to do, but Alaska has recovered all equity lost and then some after the 261 crash, IMO. Why throw it all away?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:17 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I'm pretty sure they are renaming the airline after me
Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by missydarlin
I'm pretty sure they are renaming the airline after me
They'd have to change the gender of Chester

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.