Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines 2013 rebranding/possible name change speculation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by:
Post #248 by pdxasflyer (referencing a.net) includes the purported refreshed wordmark and a Youtube video of an ad using the new mark.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:26 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
There are a fair number of examples of flights that are similar in length or longer. Not a ton, but more than just a couple. While the OMA-SEA is pushing the outer edge on what I think can be tolerated on a small RJ, I think given the alternative (a connection), people would opt for the nonstop. UA operates IAH-BFL too, which is longer than OMA-SEA.
Except UA has F and most of the seats are E+ seats. Much more comfortable ride than the CRJ flying the OMA flight.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:36 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
How did you discern that they were other airline executives and MSP airport management? Did they wear name tags that denoted them as such? Most airline and airport management I've been in contact with have been pretty non-descript. Rumors...

Well Tilden was in 6C and the FA told us in F that if we had any reccomendations he was in row 6 Ayers I saw because I seen him before and know what he looks like. They didnt have name tags. The other folks on the ground at the gate indeed had name tags with the MSP Going your way airport logo. Then there were a few other folks with name tags in business suits. I cant say for sure theyre another airline. Im just trying to stir up the pot more

The idea that they'd buy Sun Country and fly to the caribbean is wishfull thinking and speculation on my part. I actually thought or hoped they were there to announce MSP=ANC service but of course that didnt happen
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Except UA has F and most of the seats are E+ seats. Much more comfortable ride than the CRJ flying the OMA flight.
Let's not kid ourselves. UA is not without shame. EWR-OKC is similar in distance to OMA-SEA. UA does it with an ERJ: no F cabin, no E+.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Snowdevil
There's a reason for that; customer feedback has been along the lines of "I already KNOW I'm calling Alaska - it's the first thing I hear when the call hits the IVR - so why is the agent repeating it?" Also, that extra few seconds, multiplied hundreds of agents over, on thousands of calls a day, adds up and going with a simple "This is Jane.." instead of a more elaborate greeting saves time for the caller and improves the ability to answer 90% or more of the calls within 30 seconds, the daily goal for the MVP desk.
It's one of those things that looks good on paper but just doesn't work in practice. Even a simple "Alaska Airlines, this is Jane" or "This is Jane, how can I help you?" only adds at most 1.5 seconds to the greeting and makes a world of difference in the professionalism (and lack of abruptness) compared to the current greeting.

I just called the UA 1K desk and got a nice greeting of "United Premier 1K reservations, this is Karen." It gave me a couple seconds to transition from the hold music (all 8 seconds of it) to form the words I needed to say. Alaska's greeting leaves me frozen for at least 3 seconds before I realize someone's on the other end of the line and ready for me to come up with what I need to say.

Last edited by jackal; Jul 3, 2013 at 4:22 pm
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jackal
Alaska's greeting leaves me frozen for at least 3 second before I realize someone's on the other end of the line and ready for me to come up with what I need to say.
I think it is because there is no noise, no click, nothing anymore between the end of hold and the start of a voice. It is odd until one gets used to it.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:52 pm

My two cents...

[QUOTE=dave1013;21021032]This conjures up memories of the proposed aircraft logo switch ~10 years ago. Management wanted to replace the smiling Eskimo headshot with a stylized mountain image.

I think this is on the table, or at least a refreshed look. A few months back I was grilled with questions on a plane ride about how I would feel about this move. It lead to a lengthy conversation about appealing to a younger crowd, ect. So yes, perhaps a name change...but after our conversation, my bet would be on a new logo.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:35 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold

They'd really appeal to me if they used the money on branding to consider reinstating some of the bennies that have been withdrawn. But alas, I turn 60 this fall and seem to have lost my influence ....
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:56 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by dave1013
They'd really appeal to me if they used the money on branding to consider reinstating some of the bennies that have been withdrawn. But alas, I turn 60 this fall and seem to have lost my influence ....
Best laugh I've had all day.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
My 3 year old has has taken more than 40 flights and flown on a dozen plus airlines. We also spend some time watching the planes at LAX whenever we have to take/drop folks off (averaging every 2 weeks) and he even watches a few plane spotting videos on Youtube. "The Eskimo" is his favorite airline. He knows they are also called Alaska Airlines, but really it is Chester that has made the lasting impression. Just a sample of one, and not quite in that younger demographic yet! But even if they change the name I hope the tail stays the same. And I think Chester staring off into the distance would fit with Horizon just fine.

But really, the name does not need to change. Just position the offering properly in between the big 3's race to the bottom and drive greater awareness of the values that are already associated with Alaska - like some of the things discussed in this interview from 2009.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by jackal
I think AS's color scheme and logo are still very clean and modern. I'm undecided as to whether a corporate rebranding would be a net positive for the company's expansion plans, but as far as whether the logo needs a refresh just for the sake of avoiding looking dated, I think AS's current brand can have a long life without needing to be replaced.
IMHO the Starliner is the only livery I've seen that makes me say "that is a beautiful aircraft". "Dated" looking to the point of classic.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I think it is because there is no noise, no click, nothing anymore between the end of hold and the start of a voice. It is odd until one gets used to it.
Still not used to it and really really dislike it.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
IMHO the Starliner is the only livery I've seen that makes me say "that is a beautiful aircraft". "Dated" looking to the point of classic.

Still not used to it and really really dislike it.
You probably still miss that voice thanking you for using Alascom at the start of every long distance call.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dc333
My thoughts exactly ^

There really is zero marketing on the East Coast and Mid West from AS, and I would think it would be the first method to start raising awareness. A name change kind of doesn't make sense. You already are unknown to most consumers outside of the West Coast, why start over and lose any recognition you may have had.

How about some easy market-specific ads, tv and web-based?

Generate DC-LAX/SEA/PDX-Beyond ads on the Post site and DC tv stations. BOS-SAN/SEA/PDX-Beyond ads on the Globe site and Boston stations, etc.

"We've been flying for nearly 80 years, with the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the country, give us a try out of 'YourAirportHere' on your next trip to the West Coast." Something just short and sweet to let the rest of the country know AS at least exists as an option, and with a strong route map to get people to a lot of Western cities.
Id say tear down one of the Jetblue ads at Boston's south station and add an Alaska Air ad in its place

Old Jul 7, 2013, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Until recently this was operated for the longest time on an ERJ with no E+ and no First Class. The change to a CR7 on Skywest is a fairly recent change.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by dieselbear
Bodacious Tatas?
The AS (BT?) company store would get a lot of new revenue with this change. It's a proven fact that people love bodacious tatas.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by missydarlin
I'm pretty sure they are renaming the airline after me
Originally Posted by dieselbear
Bodacious Tatas?
Can I head up the new marketing campaign please?

I have some ideas.........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.