Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines 2013 rebranding/possible name change speculation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by:
Post #248 by pdxasflyer (referencing a.net) includes the purported refreshed wordmark and a Youtube video of an ad using the new mark.
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines 2013 rebranding/possible name change speculation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
AS hasn't had a new livery or corporate logo since 1990 and who knows, maybe they will even decide its time to replace the triangles on the bulkheads.
I think AS's color scheme and logo are still very clean and modern. I'm undecided as to whether a corporate rebranding would be a net positive for the company's expansion plans, but as far as whether the logo needs a refresh just for the sake of avoiding looking dated, I think AS's current brand can have a long life without needing to be replaced.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Scottrick
The biggest flaw with this rumor is that it assumes people on the West Coast care what people on the East Coast think.
^^
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
After careful thought I've decided the new name should be "Chester' airlines. Named, of course, after the smiley face on the tail. Still has the west coast ring, ala Gunsmoke, but less of that wild, frontier Alaska names those east coasters are mortally afraid of.....
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
...I don't think it's any big secret that the company is currently undergoing a whole branding reassessment. What that means for anything, nobody really knows. Everything, from what I understand, was on the table for discussion. I think management knows that, for AS to continue to be successful, they really have to find a way to broaden their market awareness. ...
IMHO the single best thing AS could do to expand awareness on the East Coast is to increase their frequency of service to eastern destinations. Right now their load factors are high and I'm willing to bet that's mainly due to west coasters heading east and back. If they added flights, even at the expense of load factors initially, they'd be able to service more eastern flyers and spread awareness organically.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by IStream
IMHO the single best thing AS could do to expand awareness on the East Coast is to increase their frequency of service to eastern destinations. Right now their load factors are high and I'm willing to bet that's mainly due to west coasters heading east and back. If they added flights, even at the expense of load factors initially, they'd be able to service more eastern flyers and spread awareness organically.
They need to open a hub in the East, too.

Let's start the speculation of where that will be. I think PIT would get at least a couple of votes around here.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:09 pm

All this talk (and money being spent) would be unnecessary if they simply did one thing. Advertise. If they wanted better brand recognition in SAN, Bay Area, etc then run some tv ads in those markets "introducing" themselves. Of course many in those places know or have heard of AS...but do they know where they fly out of their city other than to SEA or Alaska?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:52 pm

How about this for an ironic twist of fate they change their name to....

Horizon ^

And maybe Horizon changes it's name to Alaska.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by COS flyer
How about this for an ironic twist of fate they change their name to....

Horizon ^
It was actually considered a few years back. It's not being considered now though.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jackal

Let's start the speculation of where that will be. I think PIT would get at least a couple of votes around here.
Boston sounds like an excellent new hub for Alaska(n). I mean we already have 5 daily flights to west coast. I'm sure AS can find a few more routes
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
... Don't get me wrong, I love AS, but AS hasn't had a new livery or corporate logo since 1990 and who knows, maybe they will even decide its time to replace the triangles on the bulkheads.
No! Not the triangles! They bring up so many good childhood memories (and possibly the main reason why I still insist on flying BOS-SEA strictly on AS).

Originally Posted by IStream
and more U space, please? Also, this might be what the BOS-SAN flight is all about - ferrying cold Bostoners to a warm San Diego beach in the winter.

I vote for BOS, because it would be convenient for me

Also, if they add BOS-SJC, then they've got a good spread of the west coast available (they would still be missing LAX, but I think that route has too much competition anyway). Technically, the 739ER has the range (3751 mi listed on AS.com) for BOS-ANC (3383 mi from gcmap.com), but who knows if it can do that with a full load + cargo.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by CDKing
Boston sounds like an excellent new hub for Alaska(n). I mean we already have 5 daily flights to west coast. I'm sure AS can find a few more routes
Beat me to it, by 4 minutes.

Plus, Penair (KS) could offer connections out of BOS to such wonderful destinations as PBG (Plattsburgh, NY), PQI (Presque Isle, ME), ISP (Islip, NY), and BHB (Bar Harbor, ME).

Actually, BHB is a nice place to visit, and PBG is only a hour's drive from Montreal (if you can get a rental car at PBG). The downside, is you would have to change terminals at BOS to connect AS to KS.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: lots of little things
Originally Posted by HiFlyerAS
All this talk (and money being spent) would be unnecessary if they simply did one thing. Advertise. If they wanted better brand recognition in SAN, Bay Area, etc then run some tv ads in those markets "introducing" themselves. Of course many in those places know or have heard of AS...but do they know where they fly out of their city other than to SEA or Alaska?
My thoughts exactly ^

There really is zero marketing on the East Coast and Mid West from AS, and I would think it would be the first method to start raising awareness. A name change kind of doesn't make sense. You already are unknown to most consumers outside of the West Coast, why start over and lose any recognition you may have had.

How about some easy market-specific ads, tv and web-based?

Generate DC-LAX/SEA/PDX-Beyond ads on the Post site and DC tv stations. BOS-SAN/SEA/PDX-Beyond ads on the Globe site and Boston stations, etc.

"We've been flying for nearly 80 years, with the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the country, give us a try out of 'YourAirportHere' on your next trip to the West Coast." Something just short and sweet to let the rest of the country know AS at least exists as an option, and with a strong route map to get people to a lot of Western cities.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:55 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Lunamoth
On a recent flight, a FA stated "that within the next year, AS is changing its name." Management, according to the FA, doesn't want to be called "Alaskan" on the East Coast.

?
Sun Country?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold

I kinda like MDT better.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by dc333
How about some easy market-specific ads, tv and web-based?
Bring back "pate in a drum"! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.