Original Poster

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
open exit door during flight?

Interesting story today

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/27/travel...tml?hpt=hp_bn1
Old May 27, 2013, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Yeah, he can't be opening the exit door. Because the doors is locked. No one ever allowed to leave from the aircraft. They would deserved him banned flying for his life. He won't listening to the flight crew instructions.
Old May 27, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
wow.. maybe Alaska should start enforcing their OWN policy of seating only MVP/MVPG's and other airline elites in the exit rows.... keep the riff raff away from this stuff...
Old May 27, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
I see nothing in the story that says the nutcase was NOT an elite. Even elites can go nutty.
Old May 27, 2013, 3:20 pm

23 year old and from Arizona.... AZ isn't quite hopping with MVPs. (although for the record I was a Premier Exec with United at the age of 21, but rarely ever flew coach by that point..)

Now if the guy was from Alaska or the PacNW, I probably wouldn't have made the assumption.
Old May 27, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Just for giggles I looked up AS 132 on 5/28. Currently, about 10 hours out, there is no one on the upgrade list or waiting for a seat assignment.

While this is by no means an accurate assessment, the list would suggest a rather elite-lite route. Methinks you a tit quick to pass judgement.

Just sayin'...

MTT

Last edited by jackal; May 28, 2013 at 9:39 am Reason: Removed quote of now-deleted post
Old May 27, 2013, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
Just for giggles I looked up AS 132 on 5/28. Currently, about 10 hours out, there is no one on the upgrade list or waiting for a seat assignment.

While this is by no means an accurate assessment, the list would suggest a rather elite-lite route. Methinks you a tit quick to pass judgement.

Just sayin'...

MTT
And there was no one on the UG WL this morning

As for being an 'elite lite' route, not always... 14 on the WL on the 24th (no one cleared @ gate)
Old May 27, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
wow.. maybe Alaska should start enforcing their OWN policy of seating only MVP/MVPG's and other airline elites in the exit rows.... keep the riff raff away from this stuff...
According to an inside source speaking on background, that man later claimed that he desperately needed to pee and was frustrated after being refused access to the F lav.
Old May 27, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by beckoa
And there was no one on the UG WL this morning

As for being an 'elite lite' route, not always... 14 on the WL on the 24th (no one cleared @ gate)
Yeah it's definitely not an 'elite lite' route. Usually 20-40 people on the upgrade list every time I fly it. But Alaska doesn't have a policy that forbids non-elite passengers in the exit rows anyways.

Originally Posted by hgdf
According to an inside source speaking on background, that man later claimed that he desperately needed to pee and was frustrated after being refused access to the F lav.
Wonder if this was after they locked it, during descent, or during the flight at some point? Row 17 is closer to the lavs in the rear, so weird they would go up front.

Also the exits don't lock. The article is wrong about that.

Last edited by alphaeagle; May 27, 2013 at 6:08 pm
Old May 27, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Maybe on some, but not all.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/167414/
Old May 27, 2013, 10:15 pm

Yeah it's definitely not an 'elite lite' route. Usually 20-40 people on the upgrade list every time I fly it. But Alaska doesn't have a policy that forbids non-elite passengers in the exit rows anyways.
The only way for a NON-ELITE to get an exit row is by a human giving them that seat. The exit row seats have a special block in the seat map that only allowed elites to select the seat, even on day-of-departure. if you don't believe me, watch a non-MVP friend check-in online, and you'll clearly see the only 2 rows not allowing a seat assignment are the overwings.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:22 pm

The only way for a NON-ELITE to get an exit row is by a human giving them that seat. The exit row seats have a special block in the seat map that only allowed elites to select the seat, even on day-of-departure. if you don't believe me, watch a non-MVP friend check-in online, and you'll clearly see the only 2 rows not allowing a seat assignment are the overwings.
It's not an Alaska policy to only seat MVP/MVP Golds in the exit row. You can also get a seat there by purchasing a full fare Y ticket. To that though, frequent flyers aren't exempt from bad behavior.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott

On the newer 737 (NG models) with the over-wing exits that automatically open outward, the doors are electronically locked during flight. The older type doors that open inward would be virtually impossible to open in a pressurized cabin.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by kwl747
Originally Posted by hgdf
On the newer 737 (NG models) with the over-wing exits that automatically open outward, the doors are electronically locked during flight. The older type doors that open inward would be virtually impossible to open in a pressurized cabin.

I stand corrected, thanks for that link. The NG's should be difficult to open as well, though I suppose with that design there might need to be a slightly more pressure difference to make it truly impossible compared to the older exits.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:17 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
23 year old and from Arizona.... AZ isn't quite hopping with MVPs.
I live in Phoenix and I'm a 75K. There are several of us around here.

Some even live here and work on the north slope oil fields. I sat next to a guy who commutes PHX-SEA/PDX-ANC-SCC every three weeks. I don't know what sounds worse--that itinerary or living on the north slope for three weeks at a time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.