Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RobertHanson
As an additional resource for these cards see the threads here: Current Alaska Airlines Card Offers. Previous 2012-2016 Alaska Airlines Card Offers.

If you are applying for a personal AS card, and are not an expert on applying for A/S cards STOP, don't apply yet. Instead read post #3688 in the other AS thread linked above. Believe me, doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

Link to enhanced AS card that waives $99 fee for Companion Fare (only pay taxes & fees): 30K miles and $99 CF fee waived

$100 stmt. credit link for 30K card & $22 CF pass:https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go Now active, as of 7/19/17

Business card offer of 30K miles

Can you book Cathay flights using AS miles? Probably NOT:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-later-68.html
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines Visa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bretmd
This is a very bad idea.

FYI - Alaska was shutting down the accounts of people who pocketed the miles and canceled the card without paying the annual fee.
Good to know! Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:16 pm

Paper application question

So, I decided to fill out an application while on an AS flight two nights ago (Biz version for 31,000 miles). Handed it to the FA, now wondering how long it takes. I just checked online and no record was found. Any experiences in how long it should take? TIA.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by jeepie
So, I decided to fill out an application while on an AS flight two nights ago (Biz version for 31,000 miles). Handed it to the FA, now wondering how long it takes. I just checked online and no record was found. Any experiences in how long it should take? TIA.
I'm guessing that FA is busy using that information to apply for cards in your name as we speak. ( er, post)
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:49 pm

Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Has anyone ever gotten instant approval for the Alaska Airlines card. The application page says you may get instant approval but in my experience it has never happened?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mrlasssen
Has anyone ever gotten instant approval for the Alaska Airlines card. The application page says you may get instant approval but in my experience it has never happened?
I got instant approval about 4 days ago. It was for the Business card & I already have an open one from 9/2015. For many folks they have to wait a day or so but who cares as long as it's approved.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
Every time (3x).

Originally Posted by mrlasssen
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K
Also received instant approval when my wife and I each applied. Don
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
For many folks they have to wait a day or so but who cares as long as it's approved.
Do they ever instant approve for less than $5k CL (and thus the "deadly" Platinum card)?

If not, that would be a reason to care. BofA has made mistakes (they acknowledges it to me in a phone call) where they gave way too little CL on some non-instant approvals, and that resulted in a Platinum card which can be converted to a Signature card but only after a couple month wait (and thus it takes a couple months to get the remaining 25k bonus, since the Platinum card only gives a 5k bonus).

Now, on the business card, they don't play that game. You're either approved with the full bonus or not approved.

But BofA has this situation that many other banks don't have where there's a dreaded "limbo" between getting approved for the full bonus and getting denied, that being getting approved only for the Platinum card with the 5k bonus.

A possible way to forestall that, if you don't get instantly approved, is to call in right away. (Of course, that requires applying during business hours.) And then maybe you can figure out whether you'll get the Signature before you're approved (because once you're approved for a Platinum, due to federal regulations, they can't upgrade you to a Signature for about two months).
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Do they ever instant approve for less than $5k CL (and thus the "deadly" Platinum card)?
For sure.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=sdsearch;26973153]Do they ever instant approve for less than $5k CL (and thus the "deadly" Platinum card)?

Happened to many posters here over the course of this thread. Surprised you even have this question as such annoying instance has happened to many and being reported here again and again and again

Originally Posted by beckoa
For sure.
Exactly.
That is the precise reason why there is a detailed post upthread many months ago on how to deal with this. Hence the need to immediately put in a second app then call to cancel the 1st card, ask for approval on the 2nd app because the process to convert the Plat to Signature is a lengthy, 2 to 3 months process and filled with SNAFUs along the way - a main part of it is due to the C.A.R.D. Act that it prevents the issuers to immediately change the fees after issuing a card (even from fee to no fee, let alone from lower fee to higher fee). The fee on Plat card is cheaper than the Signature card as you know.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Re: Do they ever instant approve for less than $5k CL (and thus the "deadly" Platinum card)?

Happened to many posters here over the course of this thread. Surprised you even have this question as such annoying instance has happened to many and being reported here again and again and again
I didn't start reading this thread until very recently (within the last few weeks), at a time when it had had relatively little activity for several months. And I haven't read backwards in this thread.

I was mainly following the Alaska credit card thread in the Credit Cards forum (which has generally been much more active than this one), and I don't remember many mentions of it there, but I might have missed the fact that they were "instant".

Yes, I know they approve a lot people for less than $5k, what I didn't know is whether that happened on "instant approvals" or only on non-"instant" approvals. (The one time it happened to me, which BofA later called a mistake, it was definitely non-instant, while my next approval, just about a month ago, was instant and was for a CL that's way more than I need.)
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I didn't start reading this thread until very recently (within the last few weeks), at a time when it had had relatively little activity for several months. And I haven't read backwards in this thread.

I was mainly following the Alaska credit card thread in the Credit Cards forum (which has generally been much more active than this one), and I don't remember many mentions of it there, but I might have missed the fact that they were "instant".

Yes, I know they approve a lot people for less than $5k, what I didn't know is whether that happened on "instant approvals" or only on non-"instant" approvals. (The one time it happened to me, which BofA later called a mistake, it was definitely non-instant, while my next approval, just about a month ago, was instant and was for a CL that's way more than I need.)
It was reported on the other thread you read too. Instant approval only got a plat card is more common than one would imagine and BofA remains the ONLY bank who would give you a lower bonus for that. No other bank would pull such a sleazy act. Chase and Citi can approve a lesser card but the bonus remains the same as what you apply for. Not BofA. Barclays used to pull a BofA sleazy act but stopped such practice 2 or more years ago.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:14 am

i got approved a few weeks ago for the card with the 100 statement credit, would they approve a second card ? (same card)
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It was reported on the other thread you read too. Instant approval only got a plat card is more common than one would imagine and BofA remains the ONLY bank who would give you a lower bonus for that. No other bank would pull such a sleazy act. Chase and Citi can approve a lesser card but the bonus remains the same as what you apply for. Not BofA. Barclays used to pull a BofA sleazy act but stopped such practice 2 or more years ago.
US Bank does the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.