Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Q re: crediting miles on DL to my MVP acct

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2013, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, FB Gold

I'm flying a couple of SFO-ATL-MKE MRs on DL, for credit to AS.

Now DL has messed with their flight schedules on one of my runs and is routing me back via MSP, instead of ATL -- for ~700 fewer miles.

I'll gladly fly through MSP if I can somehow get credit for my original routing via ATL.

If I were planning to have these credited to my DL acct, I'm sure I could just fly through MSP but request that DL honor my original itinerary and award me the additional miles. But I don't know how to handle this with AS involved.

Safest bet, I'm sure, would be just to have DL put me back onto MKE-ATL-SFO flights for my return. There are several possibilities for that. They just require more BIS time and put me in to SFO later, a "price" I'm willing to "pay" if I can't game this somehow in my favor.

Anyone have any tips?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by rdrnnr
I'm flying a couple of SFO-ATL-MKE MRs on DL, for credit to AS.

Now DL has messed with their flight schedules on one of my runs and is routing me back via MSP, instead of ATL -- for ~700 fewer miles.

I'll gladly fly through MSP if I can somehow get credit for my original routing via ATL.

If I were planning to have these credited to my DL acct, I'm sure I could just fly through MSP but request that DL honor my original itinerary and award me the additional miles. But I don't know how to handle this with AS involved.

Safest bet, I'm sure, would be just to have DL put me back onto MKE-ATL-SFO flights for my return. There are several possibilities for that. They just require more BIS time and put me in to SFO later, a "price" I'm willing to "pay" if I can't game this somehow in my favor.

Anyone have any tips?
You can pick other flights free or get money back. Star there as I you will get flown credit this far out.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 4:46 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
This might be a better question for the DL forum, since you will only get credit on AS for what you actually fly. Your question is really more about your options to change routing on DL now that there has been a schedule adjustment than about any FF program.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Contacting DL is the way to go to 'fix' your routing. It seems DL changes its schedule much more frequently...
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baliktad
...you will only get credit on AS for what you actually fly.
Thanks, guys. Your quote above is what I figured would be the case.

I actually know what DL will do: namely, rebook me on one of several return routings via ATL, if I request it. Then the situation becomes moot.

Was just hoping I might somehow be able to get AS to credit MKE-ATL-SFO miles even if I only flew via MSP. Thought there might be some trick one of you AS wizards might reveal...
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Delta Points
Star there as I you will get flown credit this far out.
I think I get your what you're saying, @DeltaPoints -- but can you maybe edit for spelling (and extra pronouns?)
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rdrnnr
Was just hoping I might somehow be able to get AS to credit MKE-ATL-SFO miles even if I only flew via MSP. Thought there might be some trick one of you AS wizards might reveal...
Only wizardry some do on FT is create an even crazier routing... such as MKE-ATL-SEA-SFO Note: This is not always possible. I do try to stick to AS metal as much as possible on DL tickets for upgrades and earning towards the AS tier for status.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
"Original Routing Credit" is not a concept that applies with partner carriers. You can only request ORC when you are on a flight operated by the same carrier that operates the mileage program you are crediting to. Partners do not have the ability to deposit miles on anything other than what was flown--there simply isn't a mechanism for them to do so. The only people who can touch your mileage account is AS customer care, and they're not going to take responsibility for something that DL did. DL can only give you vouchers or SkyMiles, neither of which will help you in this case.

Also, ORC only generally applies for day-of-departure IRROPS. Schedule changes where you're notified in advance generally don't qualify for ORC.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
"Original Routing Credit" is not a concept that applies with partner carriers...
As I suspected. But thanks for the clear statement.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by jackal
"Original Routing Credit" is not a concept that applies with partner carriers.
My other half was in an oversold position in August 2013 on AA from PDX-DFW-ATL and AA moved him to the DL nonstop PDX-ATL (and gave him a voucher for his trouble).

Wrote in to AS asking for miles for either the DL nonstop or the AA original routing.

AS gave him AS miles for the AA original routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.