Wiki Posts
Search

B737-900ER

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
B737-900ER

Maybe this has been asked prior, apologies if so.

I flew on an AS 900ER series recently. Great plane. Nice interior updates. Noticed from the outside, there appears to be an exit between the aft wing window exit and the aft exit door. On the inside, I wasn't sitting far enough back to see if there was any extra room at this exit, or if this was an actual exit. During the safety announcements, we were told about eight emergency exits, so maybe these other "exits" that look that way from the outside aren't?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Bonvoy Titanium, NEXUS
Interesting. As seen here.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

IIRC its an option for higher capacities of Pax that AS did not use. So they are plugs and Pax are sitting where the exits would be...
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Interesting that the plug is so clearly visible from outside the aircraft! I would think that the FAA would ensure that it is not mistaken for an exit by firefighters in an accident situation.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by formeraa
Interesting that the plug is so clearly visible from outside the aircraft! I would think that the FAA would ensure that it is not mistaken for an exit by firefighters in an accident situation.
I think that might be why they write "EXIT" on the actual exit doors
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Lionair is the only airline I know of that has the additional exit doors instead of the plug. See this Boeing presentation for more info: http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737...esentation.pdf
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:37 pm

Not only is it not placarded, but there is no gray band around the hatch like all of the other exits.
Inside it is just a normal row. I challenge you to find where it would be from the inside.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Bay Area Blue
Not only is it not placarded, but there is no gray band around the hatch like all of the other exits.
Inside it is just a normal row. I challenge you to find where it would be from the inside.
I was certainly not questioning the inside of the aircraft, but the OUTSIDE of the aircraft. Generally, the issue is emergency personnel being able to quickly identify where the exits are. That's why the gray band was added some decades ago -- specifically to assist emergency personnel outside the plane. I was just surprised at how visible the exit plug is from outside the plane and started imaging potential confusion amongst the first responders.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

The 739ER may not have an extra exit row, however it does have an extra life raft
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by beckoa

The 739ER may not have an extra exit row, however it does have an extra life raft
Along with the new safety announcement: "For your safety and security, we ask that you use the life raft in the cabin in which you are seated."
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
I clearly must be missing something because it seems rather stupid to say only use the raft assigned to your class. IIRC each raft holds roughly 30 people, so the F raft goes out half full (16 seats in F)? Lets not save a few lives because they are in Y, and don't belong in the F raft.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B146 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by rybob1
I clearly must be missing something because it seems rather stupid to say only use the raft assigned to your class. IIRC each raft holds roughly 30 people, so the F raft goes out half full (16 seats in F)? Lets not save a few lives because they are in Y, and don't belong in the F raft.
Sarcasm.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:18 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by rybob1
Hey, I paid for an F seat so I don't have to sit shoulder-to-shoulder with a bunch of gum-popping, armrest-hogging "budget" travelers. That applies whether we're cruising at 30,000 feet or floating at sea level.

If they care about their lives so much, they can fight over the life vests in coach (there are always 2 for every 3 seats) to survive or pay for F with a dedicated life vest and guaranteed life raft space.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa:20421840
I was certainly not questioning the inside of the aircraft, but the OUTSIDE of the aircraft. Generally, the issue is emergency personnel being able to quickly identify where the exits are. That's why the gray band was added some decades ago -- specifically to assist emergency personnel outside the plane. I was just surprised at how visible the exit plug is from outside the plane and started imaging potential confusion amongst the first responders.
No problem. I was just trying to see if anyone could spot where there door wood be when you are inside the aircraft. It is indeed surprising how visible the door gap is.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:59 pm

The door is only required if seats go above 190 (I think). If the door is not required, the interior would get the regular sidewalks, making the door invisible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.