Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Of course I can monitor, that's the plan, was just curious if I should jump on the 14th and make the timing work instead. This is buys winter travel season though, so you never know. Pretty much every airline likes to block everything out of the US past the 14-15th up to Xmas until the last moment.
I would certainly grab the 14th if available, unless this is a discretionary trip. Don't know if you AS status, and can change without penalty when the desired dates open up. Otherwise, $125 change fee is a small price to pay for getting the exact date you wish. Good luck.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Of course I can monitor, that's the plan, was just curious if I should jump on the 14th and make the timing work instead. This is buys winter travel season though, so you never know. Pretty much every airline likes to block everything out of the US past the 14-15th up to Xmas until the last moment.
Historically. the ME3 block everything around Christmas/NY. In the next 7-10 days, they will once again realize that they have lots of unsold inventory and will start releasing award seats.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by flytoeat
I would certainly grab the 14th if available, unless this is a discretionary trip. Don't know if you AS status, and can change without penalty when the desired dates open up. Otherwise, $125 change fee is a small price to pay for getting the exact date you wish. Good luck.
Thinking about it...it would slightly interfere with work and this is a pleasure trips so I can always throw something together last minute...not exact schedule, more of a preferred itinerary.

I don't have status so I'll have to eat the $125 and to me not really worth it.

Originally Posted by SFO777
Historically. the ME3 block everything around Christmas/NY. In the next 7-10 days, they will once again realize that they have lots of unsold inventory and will start releasing award seats.
Thanks, I sure hope so. A few years back I got UA first class to Sydney with 10 days notice. Cutting it close but that's the life we live.

Btw, I tried to buy 4 first class seats on those flights and dates, and they have 4+ seats still unsold. No idea why they're being so stingy with awards this close to departure.

Last edited by littlewinglet; Nov 27, 2015 at 8:20 pm
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Thinking about it...it would slightly interfere with work and this is a pleasure trips so I can always throw something together last minute...not exact schedule, more of a preferred itinerary.

I don't have status so I'll have to eat the $125 and to me not really worth it.

Thanks, I sure hope so. A few years back I got UA first class to Sydney with 10 days notice. Cutting it close but that's the life we live.

Btw, I tried to buy 4 first class seats on those flights and dates, and they have 4+ seats still unsold. No idea why they're being so stingy with awards this close to departure.
well it's their "sandbox" !
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by edgewood49
well it's their "sandbox" !
Probably know they cant sell the F seat so leaveing them empty so they can oversell J or Y
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
Probably know they cant sell the F seat so leaveing them empty so they can oversell J or Y
Could be the only thing you can do if your AS FF is keep trying. We are returning to Africa in January on EK with FC to Dubai and coach onward, if that's the worst I'll take it. Getting ready to book another for 2017 going to calendar mark so I do it exactly at the earliest point in time just to see !
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:38 am

Haha, you think they'll upgrade biz and coach to first? This isn't like a US carrier first, which is barely an upgrade over coach.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:16 am

Emirates commonly over sells economy which causes op ups for their elites and if business ends up being full, there will be cascading op ups.

But it wouldn't happen unless the cabin is full, unlike the US carriers
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by crimsona
Emirates commonly over sells economy which causes op ups for their elites and if business ends up being full, there will be cascading op ups. But it wouldn't happen unless the cabin is full, unlike the US carriers
This is no different from US airlines which similarly do not op-up unless the Y cabin is full/oversold.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Haha, you think they'll upgrade biz and coach to first? This isn't like a US carrier first, which is barely an upgrade over coach.
Yes they will upgrade elites in J to F in order to make J seats available for an oversold Y. There was even a reports of an AS elite who was offered Op-op due to oversold Y. Those fully Y tickets can actually bring in more money than a discount J passenger.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 1:50 pm

Yes they will upgrade elites in J to F in order to make J seats available for an oversold Y. There was even a reports of an AS elite who was offered Op-op due to oversold Y. Those fully Y tickets can actually bring in more money than a discount J passenger.
Is there a way to see Emirates seat availability? I'm pretty sure with all the capacity they're dumping on the US market, it's highly unlikely they'll ever have a sold out flight, and they do have 4+ first seats left on several days. They're just blocking it out of principle because it's busy season, then giving them away last minute.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:30 pm

Is there a way to see Emirates seat availability? I'm pretty sure with all the capacity they're dumping on the US market, it's highly unlikely they'll ever have a sold out flight, and they do have 4+ first seats left on several days. They're just blocking it out of principle because it's busy season, then giving them away last minute.
You know at the end of the day it's their airline and their can and do set their rules of engagement, like it or not. Having said that even coach is a pretty damn good deal with EK versus many other's such as DL, AA etc. rewards and paid.

Way too much entitlement these days
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Is there a way to see Emirates seat availability?
Tools like ExpertFlyer can be used for that (and are discussed extensively in this very thread ).

I'm pretty sure with all the capacity they're dumping on the US market, it's highly unlikely they'll ever have a sold out flight, and they do have 4+ first seats left on several days. They're just blocking it out of principle because it's busy season, then giving them away last minute.
Paid coach is quite often very popular during the holiday season, as people use time off to visit family during the holidays and won't be able to purchase the business/first class tickets companies buy for their employees. I wouldn't discount the possibility that Emirates would see if they can oversell Y and do Y->J and J->F op-ups preferentially to elites, instead of expanding award availability early. Revenue management's goal is to maximize airline revenue, not make it easy for you to enjoy a shower with your AS miles. Better just wait and see.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Tools like ExpertFlyer can be used for that (and are discussed extensively in this very thread ).

Paid coach is quite often very popular during the holiday season, as people use time off to visit family during the holidays and won't be able to purchase the business/first class tickets companies buy for their employees. I wouldn't discount the possibility that Emirates would see if they can oversell Y and do Y->J and J->F op-ups preferentially to elites, instead of expanding award availability early. Revenue management's goal is to maximize airline revenue, not make it easy for you to enjoy a shower with your AS miles. Better just wait and see.
Good points ! Also remember coach on say EK is far and away better than any US metal offering's.

And yes there is a huge number of foreign " service personnel " in the Emirates that go home for holidays as well as many that visit their relatives in other countries.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Delta Plat, HHonors Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jpgisbd
:

3. Alaska agents do have the ability to change just one segment and don't have to redeposit whole itinerary and hope availability comes back. Just have to find the right agent.
Well they must be few are far between because I was told by three different people (including one who asked her supervisor?) that they couldn't change one segment of trip *sigh*

Not that it made a big deal to me, but good to know going forward in case I want to change the last segment again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.