Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:46 pm

Been looking to book a F award in April 2015 to Asia, but AS.com availability has been stalled in March for the past 3 weeks. EF shows Z=2 for all segments I'm looking at in April. Tried the call center once without luck. Should I be patient on AS.com or keep trying the call center?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by capeddan
Been looking to book a F award in April 2015 to Asia, but AS.com availability has been stalled in March for the past 3 weeks. EF shows Z=2 for all segments I'm looking at in April. Tried the call center once without luck. Should I be patient on AS.com or keep trying the call center?
Keep trying to call. Call different times of the day
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CDKing
Keep trying to call. Call different times of the day
Agree. Evenings in Boise can be your friend.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
remember married segments rule so in order to change the last segment you will need to make sure there is still space on the segments that are not changing.

BTW there is no chauffer service for YVR or IKA. Its only available in 70 cities. See list
Thanks CD King et al.
I have been looking into an online change and it reroutes me through Seattle to DXB in J rather san through SFO in F for my dates. I tried through LAX as well and it still doesn't work out.
Is the availability shown on the website identical to the availability seen by agents or would it be better to call?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
remember married segments rule so in order to change the last segment you will need to make sure there is still space on the segments that are not changing.
Not sure if I was just lucky or there has been a change but on two separate occasions in the past month (two different agents), I was able to make a change to one segment without have to do the married segment thing. YMMV.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Not sure if I was just lucky or there has been a change but on two separate occasions in the past month (two different agents), I was able to make a change to one segment without have to do the married segment thing. YMMV.
I don't believe married segment logic always precludes the changing of one segment of an award itin.

Sometimes the operating airline releases awards as married segments, sometimes it does not.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SFO777
I think you were lucky SFO777! (By the way, I really enjoyed your RTW in 96 hours pictures! Reaaally inspiring )

I just called in and she had to rebook the whole itinerary , refund my initial booking and recharge both miles and cash on my account.

It ended up working just fine for me, but the agent told me that with Emirates when they try to make changes, the whole itinerary gets cancelled!

By the way, I really love AS agents. They are all very helpful and friendly.

Stacey helped me and she was great! ^^^
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I was able to change one leg of my itinerary without rebooking the whole thing. It really depends on which agent you get. But yes, agreed, Alaska agents are the best!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by ffman999
I was able to change one leg of my itinerary without rebooking the whole thing. It really depends on which agent you get. But yes, agreed, Alaska agents are the best!
Did you get a new ticket# (assuming changes to EK tickets are given a new #).
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I don't believe so. I know the PNR was the same.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:06 pm

Hey everyone, just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread, I have gotten so much useful information here and have recently completed a booking.

So my SPG points finally transferred to AS and I decided to make my first attempt at booking ORD-SEA-SFO, SFO-DXB-AMS for April in first. I looked up the award space on Expert Flyer to make sure it was open and went ahead to call.

I got a friendly agent and explained what I needed, she could not see the award space as expected (wasn't showing online), so I said I read that AS was allowed to manually sell EK award space. She started saying that AS agents aren't allowed to communicate with other airlines about award space. I got ready to HUCA, BUT she then said she would try a different method

She wound up doing it manually and got me booked in first. She also was able to get me 23hrs in SEA before having a stopover in SFO then doing SFO-DXB-AMS on EK

Can't wait for the trip!
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by coronado22
Hey everyone, just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread, I have gotten so much useful information here and have recently completed a booking.

So my SPG points finally transferred to AS and I decided to make my first attempt at booking ORD-SEA-SFO, SFO-DXB-AMS for April in first. I looked up the award space on Expert Flyer to make sure it was open and went ahead to call.

I got a friendly agent and explained what I needed, she could not see the award space as expected (wasn't showing online), so I said I read that AS was allowed to manually sell EK award space. She started saying that AS agents aren't allowed to communicate with other airlines about award space. I got ready to HUCA, BUT she then said she would try a different method

She wound up doing it manually and got me booked in first. She also was able to get me 23hrs in SEA before having a stopover in SFO then doing SFO-DXB-AMS on EK

Can't wait for the trip!
"Try a different method"

Ha! Well done.

Although that routing is borderline insane (flying >3x the ORD-AMS distance), I'm sure you'll enjoy.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Currently on my award trip with EK and no issues for lounge access in DFW, DXB and BKK thus far.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by kileysmom
Well, all I can say is bling, bling, bling! Just did ORD/DXB/AMS with the DXB/AMS on the 380 and all in F. Good grief! I think the shower is larger than mine in my master bath! Okay, the seats are a lot of very shiny stuff and a good portion of it is basically for show such as the mini-bar - it's just juices and water. The large IFE screen is really nice and the choices on the system are many. The service is excellent - almost too much at times, to be honest, but very professional without being cold at all. I liked having my bags in my suite and they fit easily. If you travel with a larger carry-on, you could be crowded as there is no overhead. The starry ceiling is really nice and, as far as I could remember, pretty accurate as to constellations! Food - excellent. Liquors and wines - excellent. The 14 hours to DXB passed quickly and the nearly 8 to AMS did as well. I stayed overnight at Le Meridien in one of the "club" rooms which includes a private limo to and from the airport. Again, the service was almost too much! Great rooms, great service, etc. DXB's F lounge and direct gate from the lounge is really super! I had breakfast in the lounge and it was very nice and the service was very good as well. Did get the question about the kind of ticket I was on from the lounge gatekeeper - she asked if it was an award and I said yes and that was the end of it. They seem to be familiar with we AS award travelers now. ORD lounge fine and the limo to the airport was fine. Overall - long way around to get to Switzerland but worth it at least once and I'll very likely do it again when I have a few extra days to stay in Dubai - would like cooler weather as it was over 100 at midnight on the patio outside my room......for an Alaskan that's hot!
Thanks for the details report!

I want to know - how much would I miss out on if I book just business class (as opposed to first) due to not having enough miles.

Would I still get access to limo during stopover?
Access to shower?
Access to lounges in Dubai?
Huge difference in seating? Aren't business class lie-flat too? Would first-class basically give me privacy or more?
Sevice, food, wine, entertainment etc I'm sure is topnotch in both, since even their economy which I've flown many times is impressive.

Last edited by nomii; Nov 7, 2014 at 9:37 pm
Old Nov 8, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
What is the transfer time from spg to as?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.