Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Which lounge is "nicer" is quite subjective, but you'll likely have enough time to sample the options and decide for yourself.

The A Concourse is designated as the A380 concourse, with a massive lounge that spans the entire space. It boasts boarding directly from the lounge, but in my experience this lounge space can feel cavernous, cold and not as inviting as some of the other spaces.

By contrast, the C Concourse lounge is diminuative and intimate, but lacks some of the amenities found in the other two.

My Goldilocks opinion - and I admit it is subjective - is that the B Concourse first class lounge has the best of both worlds, combining a variety of intimate spaces with a large array of amenities and dining options. I've visited both A and C on more than one occassion, but keep coming back to B as my favorite, regardless of where my departure gate is located.

It is my understanding that you are able to bring one guest into the lounge, but I have no personal experience with this since I always travel solo.

The dining in the lounges is complimentary, whether in one of the sit-down restaurants or at one of the many buffets or specialty food stations spread throughout each lounge. Wines and other beverages are also complimentary.
I agree on the lounge. If your traveling F and companion will be admitted with you, NP. Just be nice when you check in. There are showers and there is a free "spa" there as well, right next to the restaurant. It is smaller more intimate and frankly I like it better. unless of course your flying 380 out then it's the other one.

I just came through
Old Mar 29, 2016, 5:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
It is my understanding that you are able to bring one guest into the lounge, but I have no personal experience with this since I always travel solo.
I've read that guests have to be on the same flight as you. Sounds like it won't be a problem for you in this case, but mentioning as a general note.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, United
Booking CX with Alaska miles?

Deleted, found the correct forum

Last edited by Soulag; Mar 29, 2016 at 7:04 pm
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Thank you everyone for your feedback! ^
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
How good is EK at with releasing last miinute space in F? I'm looking at flights to/from Asia for Dec/Jan and there's nothing on the dates I need, save for Y.

Was thinking taking a gamble by booking Y first before changing to whatever pops up later on.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by ShawnO14
I can confirm this chauffer "workaround" from DXB to Park Hyatt did not work for me in Feb 2016. Had First JNB-DXB-JFK. Presented my boarding pass at the desk at DXB, but after some furious typing by the guy behind the counter, he said we could not get the chauffer because this was an AS award ticket.
I was able to get the car service to the Park Hyatt (Mar 2016). The guy mentioned we weren't eligible because it was an AS award (F) but said he'd give it to us anyways, so we got lucky ^
Old Mar 30, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SilverChris
How good is EK at with releasing last miinute space in F? I'm looking at flights to/from Asia for Dec/Jan and there's nothing on the dates I need, save for Y.

Was thinking taking a gamble by booking Y first before changing to whatever pops up later on.
Not very good. It's likely nothing will open up for you in Dec, maybe January. Lock in at J if you can and setup an ExpertFlyer alert.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by invalyd
Not very good. It's likely nothing will open up for you in Dec, maybe January. Lock in at J if you can and setup an ExpertFlyer alert.
very last minute works suggestion check on EK website to see how many seats taken that will give you an idea. Expert flyer is so so in reliability. I have seen it fail twice on EK
Old Apr 1, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
***We'll take this opportunity to go ahead and close this thread and restart discussion for 2016 (post-devaluation) in a new thread.***

Please find the continuation of this thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...6-edition.html

As well, just a quick heads up--we've moved all of the meta-discussion about the new Emirates award prices themselves to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...no-notice.html

Please consolidate all discussion about the new award rates there.

The other thread linked above can continue to be used for discussion about award availability, booking procedures, and routing rules for Emirates award on AS.

jackal
Moderator, Alaska Airlines

Last edited by jackal; Apr 1, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.