Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
TheBOSman ,

Since I am DFW based I really don't want to go out of my way to enjoy the EK lunges in LAX or SFO. Due to other constraints, I have to fly eastbound and it will be one way only as I don't have enough miles needed for a RT. Return will be on another carrier.

I assume they won't give any accomodation in DXB since I have ~15 hour layover because I will be on an AS Award ticket. The DXB-ICN flight leaves at 3:30 am!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by aglp2k
TheBOSman ,

Since I am DFW based I really don't want to go out of my way to enjoy the EK lunges in LAX or SFO. Due to other constraints, I have to fly eastbound and it will be one way only as I don't have enough miles needed for a RT. Return will be on another carrier.

I assume they won't give any accomodation in DXB since I have ~15 hour layover because I will be on an AS Award ticket. The DXB-ICN flight leaves at 3:30 am!
Then it doesn't matter much if DFW-DXB-ICN is the option . You'll have the 12+ hour DFW-DXB, which is long enough to really get the full experience of full meal, drinks at the bar, solid 5-8 hours of sleep, and full breakfast. One 12+ hour flight is all you need, it won't really matter just how many hours longer the flight actually than that. DXB-ICN is about 8 hours as well, but I advise against sleeping much on it if you're staying in South Korea.

No accommodation at DXB paid by EK on award tickets, and 15 hours is a bit long for the EK F lounges. There should be a transit hotel available though at the terminal, and of course Dubai has a myriad of other hotel options.

And you'll be SHOCKED how busy DXB is at 3:30AM , take a look down from the F lounge to the economy concourses, or at the flight departure listings in the lounge while you are there.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:59 pm

I was pretty exhausted after my SFO-DXB. 15 hours is long, even if it is in F.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Then it doesn't matter much if DFW-DXB-ICN is the option . You'll have the 12+ hour DFW-DXB, which is long enough to really get the full experience of full meal, drinks at the bar, solid 5-8 hours of sleep, and full breakfast. One 12+ hour flight is all you need, it won't really matter just how many hours longer the flight actually than that. DXB-ICN is about 8 hours as well, but I advise against sleeping much on it if you're staying in South Korea.

No accommodation at DXB paid by EK on award tickets, and 15 hours is a bit long for the EK F lounges. There should be a transit hotel available though at the terminal, and of course Dubai has a myriad of other hotel options.

And you'll be SHOCKED how busy DXB is at 3:30AM , take a look down from the F lounge to the economy concourses, or at the flight departure listings in the lounge while you are there.
There is a hotel there !
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
J

So I need expert flyer to show 4 seats in J in order to book for two with AS miles? Is the 777 F that much better than J?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by finloopio
So I need expert flyer to show 4 seats in J in order to book for two with AS miles? Is the 777 F that much better than J?
When isn't F that much better than J, especially with foreign carriers?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:53 am

Yes, the 777 F is much better than J. A380 J is better than 777 J.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
So I need expert flyer to show 4 seats in J in order to book for two with AS miles?
No. You want EF to show 3 if you are booking 2.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
Successfully booked BKK-HKG-DXB-DFW all in First Class for 100,000 miles and $90.30 in taxes. Travel March 2016. 3 legs of the A380 Watch out for the mixed itinerary results which are misleading
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Madone59
No. You want EF to show 3 if you are booking 2.
Follow up on this - there are numerous dates in 2016 when AS shows the possibility of four F awards on EK, but ExpertFlyer only shows 2 in Z-class. Is this phantom availability on the part of AS, or do their awards dip into a different bucket?

I'm still waiting for the requisite SPG miles to hit my AS account, so I'll admit I haven't tabbed all the way through an entire transaction.

Jamie

EDIT - for example, MRUDXBJFK on June 29th, 2016. I spoke with an AS agent and she said she had four F awards, which matches what's on Alaska.com. But Expertflyer only shows 2 in Z, and awardnexus.com (searching via QF engine) only returns 2. SO WHAT HAPPENS IF I TRANSFER 400K into my Alaska account when Alaska claims they have four F awards? Will they simply be unable to ticket?

Last edited by jamienbaker; Sep 2, 2015 at 8:40 am
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by apodo77
People always looking for a handout.
Why would this be an example of a handout? If Madison Square Garden says "U2 is playing tonight, but first you have to pay us to be allowed in" only to pay, enter, and find out the band isn't performing...heck, I'd want my currency to be returned.

How is that different than the Alaska site saying "yup, we have four F seats on EK, you just need the miles there to pay for them?" You put the currency in, then they say, "oh, oops, that was phantom availability".
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:50 am

dupe post, apologies
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by VAFlyerSAN
Successfully booked BKK-HKG-DXB-DFW all in First Class for 100,000 miles and $90.30 in taxes. Travel March 2016. 3 legs of the A380 Watch out for the mixed itinerary results which are misleading
For some reason I thought the route for those cities would be HKG-BKK-DXB-USA. Doesn't Emirates fly from DXB to BKK on the way to HKG? Or is it the other way around?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
For some reason I thought the route for those cities would be HKG-BKK-DXB-USA. Doesn't Emirates fly from DXB to BKK on the way to HKG? Or is it the other way around?
I think you are right. But he could just hop on another flight that goes direct from HKG to Dubai
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
EK flies DXB-HKG, HKG-DXB, DXB-BKK, BKK-DXB, and BKK-HKG/HKG-BKK. So, one could fly BKK-HKG-DXB-USA for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.