Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Cathay Pacific ticket using Alaska miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com:

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If its not on the award chart its not allowed.
  • No stopover on intra-regional awards, example Asia to Asia.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS website can be misleading about this.
  • Otherwise open jaw or stopover allowed on each round trip award.
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. Build open jaw and other advance routing by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR.
  • No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Eastern
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Redeeming Cathay Pacific ticket using Alaska miles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: Kettle Class
I have had no issues using the CX website to select row 12 on the 777 mini-cabin on AS redemptions with no OW status. My seats for an upcoming January flight continue to show as confirmed.

I have also been able to select both 1A and 2A in F using Qatar.com to access my CX reservation. I'm not sure if this workaround still works, however.

Originally Posted by nov11
1A/K is reserved for oneworld emeralds. 2A/K is reserved for bassinets (but also open to OWE if they call in and request for it).

Row 11/12 (mini cabin in the 77H) is also for OWE only.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I was able to redeem for F on the JFK-YVR flight about a month out. Only made one call to find the seat. ^

This was my agent's first time processing a CX award so it took quite a while to get it processed, but she was great.

Great flight, great hard product. I'll be on that flight again. I had to call the CX HKG reservations number to get seat 2A. Hindsight being 20/20, there were two of us in F on this flight, so I could have just moved once onboard. Was pre-assigned 2C (I think).
Old Dec 25, 2016, 12:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Does AS force the stopover in HKG only between Asia and NA? Asking since CX flies NRT-TPE, so was wondering if a NRT-TPE(stop)-HKG-LAX award is possible?
Old Dec 25, 2016, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frudd38
Does AS force the stopover in HKG only between Asia and NA? Asking since CX flies NRT-TPE, so was wondering if a NRT-TPE(stop)-HKG-LAX award is possible?
No. CX stopover can only be at HKG. I dont think it is "forced" by AS but rather the agreement with CX on the partner awards.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:21 am

Not sure with the rules on stopovers here. Can I go backwards a little bit? For example, can I do YVR to KIX with a stopover at HKG through Cathay?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:32 am

Hi -

Yes, they will allow that routing.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

Yes, they will allow that routing.
Thanks for the reply! One more I was testing was from KIX to YVR with a stopover at HNL. I tried to do it on the Alaska site but it doesn't seem to let me, is there some kind of restriction on stopping in HNL?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:12 am

Hi -

Bobu, read Happy's post upthread. Your answer is there.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jasongc87
and randomly saw F open up two flights this morning, then saw it disappear. Has anyone here been successful in changing their ticket once travel has begun and been able to snag F or C seats? I've read that inventory opens up a week out from departure, and sometimes day of departure. What have people's experience been in changing their tickets with AS partner desk? Does anyone know if there is a specific time when CX replenishes award tickets available for redemption on AS?
What's really annoying about having two threads discussing CX awards is that a topic being asked about is discussed in one but not the other, which means we have people asking questions in one thread that they'd know if we were just using one thread...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ility-141.html

By rule, you can't change awards after travel starts. In practice, you might be able to find an agent who will do it (probably having status helps). I don't think I'd want to count on playing the HUCA game 7,000 miles away from home. Other people may have different risk tolerances.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
What's really annoying about having two threads discussing CX awards is that a topic being asked about is discussed in one but not the other, which means we have people asking questions in one thread that they'd know if we were just using one thread...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ility-141.html

By rule, you can't change awards after travel starts. In practice, you might be able to find an agent who will do it (probably having status helps). I don't think I'd want to count on playing the HUCA game 7,000 miles away from home. Other people may have different risk tolerances.
I'm not sure how your post is helpful. I was just asking the Flyertalk Community for some insight, not a passive aggressive response.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
I'm not sure how your post is helpful. I was just asking the Flyertalk Community for some insight, not a passive aggressive response.
That first paragraph was not directed at you.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The insight's in the other FT thread I linked to. I regret the offense taken if you thought my comment was directed at you in any form. I was pointing out a deficiency of how we organize the information about CX here. It's not your fault that's how it works.

Originally Posted by jinglish
That first paragraph was not directed at you.
No, indeed it was not. Individual posters can't decide whether or not there's a consolidated CX award thread (like our consolidated JL,
QF, EK threads), or whether the information is scattered across multiple threads requiring "hey, this other thread talks about your question" when someone asks a question in a different thread.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 27, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: This thread contains some very old information and has grown unwieldy, so it is closed. Please continue the discussion in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...17-beyond.html,

dayone, AS/VX Moderator

Last edited by ryandc99; Jun 29, 2017 at 10:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.