Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Cathay Pacific ticket using Alaska miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com:

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If its not on the award chart its not allowed.
  • No stopover on intra-regional awards, example Asia to Asia.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS website can be misleading about this.
  • Otherwise open jaw or stopover allowed on each round trip award.
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. Build open jaw and other advance routing by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR.
  • No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Eastern
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Redeeming Cathay Pacific ticket using Alaska miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Happy
And my friend, UA miles have been proven more useful than AA miles these days. The Starnet blocking is a way of past and UA miles now with its very extensive partner network is far superior than OneWorld both in terms of availability and routing.

Again, evaluate all workable options and find the optimal one, hopefully.
I would agree (though I think that CX is perfectly fine for getting to BKK as the OP wants to do). I would call out the UA South Asia intra-region business class round trip award as really excellent value: 35K miles (so one credit card churn ), includes a stopover AND an open-jaw, you can fly TG and SQ very easily, so something like HKG-SIN-DPS(dest)-BKK-HKT(stop)-HKG is very do-able.

I've also used US miles to go to that region of the world; they are a quite viable option (HKG is North Asia for US, which makes the awards very reasonable). For that matter, BA miles are also useful for short segments on CX or AA if you need positioning flights (the YQ and fees they charge on CX is very modest, $40 on flights as long as a transcon, and only $5 for AA flight), and there are a number of ways to acquire/transfer to BA. For that matter, you could use WN on an award to go to OAK, BART to get to SFO to connect to CX (and WN's shuttle schedule should make things easy).

Lots of tools in the toolbox.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:44 am

Is it possible to book a JFK-YVR award ticket using Alaska miles?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by keirnna
Is it possible to book a JFK-YVR award ticket using Alaska miles?
Yes, as a round-trip ticket (CX isn't available on one-ways yet).

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ic-canada.aspx

Note that because of cabotage rules you will NOT be able to get YVR->USA or USA->YVR segments as part of the same ticket.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Note that because of cabotage rules you will NOT be able to get YVR->USA or USA->YVR segments as part of the same ticket.
So does the direction of flight mater? I see I could book a RT using BA miles JFK-YVR-JFK but are you saying I could only fly one way on CX and then since I can't mix partners fly the rest back on AK? Thanks! Also what mileage level is required for CX redemptions in NA? I don't see it lited on the award chart.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

So does the direction of flight mater? I see I could book a RT using BA miles JFK-YVR-JFK but are you saying I could only fly one way on CX and then since I can't mix partners fly the rest back on AK? Thanks! Also what mileage level is required for CX redemptions in NA? I don't see it lited on the award chart.
From quoted link for CX:

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com
Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations
at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY/TDD: 1-800-682-2221) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), Daily .

Class of ServiceRegionRound-Trip
Award Level
CoachBetween New York (JFK) and Vancouver (YVR) only35,000
Premium EconomyBetween New York (JFK) and Vancouver (YVR) only40,000
BusinessBetween New York (JFK) and Vancouver (YVR) only50,000
FirstBetween New York (JFK) and Vancouver (YVR) only70,000
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I'm saying that you may ONLY fly JFK-YVR-JFK or YVR-JFK-YVR on that AS North America award when you fly on CX- no destinations or origins other than JFK or YVR will be allowed as part of the award. Cabotage rules do not allow CX to transport passengers on routings between two cities in the USA without a large fine involved (that neither AS nor CX want to pay), and AS only flies to USA destinations out of YVR (and doesn't have any operations out of JFK). Any flights preceding or following your CX flights must be on separate tickets/awards.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:34 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
I'm gonna be booking the ord-jnb run in f on cx for 140K. What should I expect to pay in taxes and fees? 60 hours in cx f works for me!
Old Sep 1, 2013, 5:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Preacher7
I'm gonna be booking the ord-jnb run in f on cx for 140K. What should I expect to pay in taxes and fees? 60 hours in cx f works for me!
From ANC mine was about 136, can't recall if that was with or w/o $25 partner fee.

This fluxuates depending on the exchange rate(s).
Old Sep 2, 2013, 7:20 am

Thanks for your help. So does the 140K redemption include the flight to and from your gateway city, in your case from ANC to ORD?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Thanks for your help. So does the 140K redemption include the flight to and from your gateway city, in your case from ANC to ORD?
Yes it did- specifically:

ANC-LAX-HKG-JNB
JNB-HKG
HKG-SFO-SEA-ANC
Old Sep 2, 2013, 7:12 pm

Thx for your input! So...were the flights really, really great on CX F? Any tips on how to get the most out of them?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:40 am

Does anyone know if stopovers are allowed on cathay pacific one way intra asia awards? (e.g. Kix-Hkg (stopover)-SIN)
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:57 am

Programs: QF Gold, Velocity Gold, HHonours Gold and many others
Hi Guys,

Want to book a PER-HKG-LAX award ticket on CX using Alaskan miles. But just wondering if it is correct according to their award chart and is 60,000 points?

Before I call them an find out.

Also I have never flown with Alaskan airlines but will it trigger any red flags if I make a few transactions to buy 120,000 miles to purchase 2 awards at all? As want to book 2 people into J for the trip. I have had the account opened for about a month or so. So hopefully this is okay to do and I can get my award

Cheers,
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
For coach, yes, that is correct.

You might want to read about the experience of another person who seems to be in a similar position to you here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ighlight=proof

Also, if they do audit you, you might have better luck engendering a positive working relationship with the auditor if you refer to it by its correct name, Alaska Airlines, not Alaskan Airlines.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
I recently (Nov 13) did a CX F award to JNB (SEA-SFO-HKG-JNB-HKG-LAX-SEA). Keep in mind that CX is phasing out the 744, and JNB service is converting to a 3-class (J PremiumY and Y) 777. JNB is a great value in F at 140K...plus $146 in taxes.

When I booked, my flights were 744s on both JNB sectors, but not too long after, one flight down-gauged to a 777...and my seat down-gauged to J. (Oh the suffering!) I wasn't in a place to change the date, so kept the itinerary.
Of course, after being placed in J, there was a last minute sub and they used a 4 class 777, but I believe the F seats only received J service (I could be wrong).

Nevertheless, the best 48 hours in the sky by a long shot. Of course, CX redeemed itself when I flew JNB-HKG on the 744 as the ONLY pax in F. So nice to have private staff.

and I've never had issues finding CX awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.