Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 30, 12, 6:59 am   #1

Programs: HH D, Alaska Air MVPG75K/BR, SERR VP, NARFE, ASCE, ITE, TSA Pre-√ , Hertz 5-Star Gold
When sleep deprivation goes wrong

From the KING5 web site:

Flight tirade could lead to charges for Tacoma man

BELLINGHAM, Wash. -- A 50-year-old Tacoma man could face criminal charges after an outburst over a reading light during a flight from Honolulu to Bellingham International Airport.

Washington State Patrol spokesman Keith Leary tells The Bellingham Herald authorities responded when the Alaska Airlines plane touched down early Saturday.
Old Jul 30, 12, 12:56 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: Information Desk &Alaska Airlines

Programs: Pure AS MVP Gold75K, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Silver, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

That can be a brutal flight especially if delayed. As nice as it is to have a dark cabin, that is a personal reading light.
beckoa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 12, 1:00 pm   #3
inY

Having recently taken a 12 hour flight with a crying baby immediately behind me, I wonder what this guy would have done.
inY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 12, 7:35 am   #4

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, CVS Red, US Mint Silver
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time." http://tinyurl.com/DLsammich
Eyeshades. Should be standard issue for all classes of service on any overnight flight.

wbl-mn-flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 12, 8:23 am   #5

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer View Post
Eyeshades. Should be standard issue for all classes of service on any overnight flight.

That's some spiffy color!
Jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 12, 6:54 pm   #6

Programs: HH Gold
Quote:

+1000
formeraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 12, 6:58 pm   #7

Programs: Banned and Closed by many but still earning millions of points
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1013 View Post
From the KING5 web site:

Flight tirade could lead to charges for Tacoma man

BELLINGHAM, Wash. -- A 50-year-old Tacoma man could face criminal charges after an outburst over a reading light during a flight from Honolulu to Bellingham International Airport.

Washington State Patrol spokesman Keith Leary tells The Bellingham Herald authorities responded when the Alaska Airlines plane touched down early Saturday.
Perhaps he was edgy from not being able to smoke his medical Washington pain weed. LOL
Nottafatslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 12, 9:46 pm   #8

Quote:

OR, people could bring their own rather than depending on the airline to provide them. Just sayin...
Old Aug 5, 12, 10:16 pm   #9

Programs: Pure AS MVP Gold75K, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Silver, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS Flyer View Post
OR, people could bring their own rather than depending on the airline to provide them. Just sayin...
I have a pair of DL ones that I typically have in my backpack when flying AS
Old Aug 5, 12, 10:37 pm   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
I have a pair of DL ones that I typically have in my backpack when flying AS
I have some from Air France, Thai Airways and Air Tahiti Nui that I've held onto and use when needed - not when I'm working of course.
Old Aug 5, 12, 10:43 pm   #11

Quote:
I have some from Air France, Thai Airways and Air Tahiti Nui that I've held onto and use when needed - not when I'm working of course.
Ah my In'tl experience is much more limited

Hopefully someday I can burn more of my mountain of milez
Old Aug 6, 12, 6:51 pm   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

That can be a brutal flight especially if delayed. As nice as it is to have a dark cabin, that is a personal reading light.
Alas, my experience, especially on older planes, is that these "personal reading lights" broadcast their light over a quite wide area, making it hard to sleep when sitting next to someone who keeps the light on while everyone else is trying to sleep. Fortunately, newer planes have better-designed lights that cast a much narrower beam. I do agree with bringing nightshades on a night flight.
Old Aug 8, 12, 5:17 pm   #13

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, PC Plat, ClubC Gold
I've felt like abusing some people who leave all of their window shades 100% up during a 10-hour TATL flight westbound. Not so much for sleeping but because the IFE experience is marginalized (and these are often folks who are watching movies). Good that I refrained...

Eyeshades are helpful but not bulletproof, and not particularly comfortable for all. And of course they don't resolve the window issue. Now I understand some people like to look out the window but that doesn't require all windows all the time as there's often nothing to see.
Old Aug 8, 12, 5:32 pm   #14

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton-Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottafatslob View Post
Perhaps he was edgy from not being able to smoke his medical Washington pain weed. LOL
LOL That one's got my vote. LOL
Emeraldcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 12, 5:33 pm   #15

Programs: AS MVPG75K, AA, DL, HH-G
Quote:
That would be fun to watch