Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Why does AS charge more miles for partner flight than than partner would?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:41 am
Original Poster

I'm trying to use up some AS miles and have been very frustrated. When I find availability AA (25,000 miles) for low level award, and then try to redeem on AS, AS wants more miles - 50,000 or 65,000 for a coach ticket from SLC to ORD. What's up with that? This is crazy!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
AS doesn't directly fly out of SLC. Their partner, Delta does.

You're seeing the impact of SkyPesos through your AS account.

If you are trying to do this all online, you might be better off calling the partner desk. (There would be a fee for booking the tickets over the phone).
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:13 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

The reason you are seeing 50 or 65K [50K for DL and 65K for AA] is because that is saver First class award, out of four segments if there is one single F segment [even if it is only 200 miles] AS will quote you 50K/65K.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dgreen12
AS doesn't directly fly out of SLC. Their partner, Delta does.

You're seeing the impact of SkyPesos through your AS account.
This has nothing to do with Delta mileage redemption levels. Delta makes its Low band award inventory available to partners, be that in coach or first class. Delta awards at its own Medium and High bands won't even be available for AS redemption. AS miles are redeemed strictly according to AS rules.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:48 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
If you are seeing low level award availability on AA, then those same awards should be available using AS miles. If you don't see them online, try calling the partner desk.

But are you sure you are seeing the low level? Or are you seeing 25K one way awards on AA?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by missydarlin
If you are seeing low level award availability on AA, then those same awards should be available using AS miles. If you don't see them online, try calling the partner desk.

But are you sure you are seeing the low level? Or are you seeing 25K one way awards on AA?
Given the 65k figure, it's probable that Alaska is preferentially showing Alaska metal?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: AS 75k, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by missydarlin

I wish this were true. Sadly, there are many secret rules that apply to AA award bookings with AS miles that we mile earners have no possible way of knowing. Here are a few examples that I learned after hours on the phone with the partner desk, to my great consternation:
  • Cannot book open jaw ticket if the open jaw cities are in two different zones, even if it is an otherwise valid open jaw and would be bookable on any other partner. For example: SEA-SJU, returning MIA-SEA.
  • Cannot book open jaw Caribbean ticket if the cities are in two different countries. For example: SEA-STT, returning EIS-SEA.
  • Opaque, unknowable routing rules on award tickets. For example: I once tried DTW-LAS with a connection in STL and ICT (Wichita), but AS couldn't book it, even though low-tier was available on aa.com.

It's impossible to know how many more rules like this exist, because none of them are published. Why not publish the rules and save everybody frustration and time? I've burned through so much agent time over the years on routings that I never would've tried if only the rules were spelled out clearly somewhere.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by steadyASshegoes
I wish this were true. Sadly, there are many secret rules that apply to AA award bookings with AS miles that we mile earners have no possible way of knowing.
These seem to be sadly imposed by AS?

• Opaque, unknowable routing rules on award tickets. For example: I once tried DTW-LAS with a connection in STL and ICT (Wichita), but AS couldn't book it, even though low-tier was available on aa.com.
Was this back in the hub days of STL? I'm not sure how I could sensibly fly that with today's route maps on just AA metal without a few other connections or without mixing partners (or both).
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:00 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Given the 65k figure, it's probable that Alaska is preferentially showing Alaska metal?
the preference always goes to the mileage amount first. If there were 25K awards that could be displayed, we would display those before our premium cabin....
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: AS 75k, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
These seem to be sadly imposed by AS?
My guess is they are part of the contract AS has signed with AA; if it is merely a result of the "new pricing platform" the partner agents always talk about and solely AS-imposed, I would be extremely upset at AS.

But either way, if we just knew these rules, it would make things so much easier to plan. Little to no reason for AS not to disclose.

Was this back in the hub days of STL? I'm not sure how I could sensibly fly that with today's route maps on just AA metal without a few other connections or without mixing partners (or both).
There was another stop in there somewhere, but as I recall it was a one-stop direct flight. I can't remember if it was DFW or ORD. No partners, but definitely some regionals. It was a bit less than a year ago when I attempted to make the booking. As I recall, there was also an option to go DTW-LGA-somewhere else-LAS (all low-tier award space), but AS wouldn't book that either.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
But either way, if we just knew these rules, it would make things so much easier to plan. Little to no reason for AS not to disclose.
I'd really love for AS to publish these too. Nevertheless, the detailed rules applying to redemptions are beyond the great majority of people using AS miles. Maybe AS thinks this info would confuse the average user more than help them. Maybe they're too hard to keep up to date given all the partners.

If award rules for each partner were available but protected by a captcha, like fare rules, or only visible when logged in, maybe that would help advanced users while protecting kettles from what's behind the veil.

As I recall, there was also an option to go DTW-LGA-somewhere else-LAS (all low-tier award space), but AS wouldn't book that either.
Agent roulette sometimes helps- one agent may for right or wrong refuse to try something that would be permitted by the reservation system. Calling back may get you someone willing to find a creative solution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.