Wiki Posts
Search

Advanced Bump?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Advanced Bump?

I am scheduled on a east-coast non-stop that is showing as all "0" on Expert Flyer.
I am willing to get bumped to an earlier non-direct flight, but when I called to offer my seat, I was told that I have to do this at the airport. However, unless I knew that I could switch flights, I'm not planning on getting to the airport early enough for that flight.

Has anyone had any experience with an "advance" bump? I am not in a rush that day.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:43 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
0 doesnt necessarily mean overbooked, and even when it does, there are usually enough no shows and bumps aren't required. "Advance bumps" tend to come in the form of a call that the airline makes to you, if they are feeling concerned about a particular flight. Not the other way around.

If you're trying to get out on an earlier flight, you can try the Same Day Confirmed option for $25.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Thanks. The earlier flight is a Delta flight, so I am not sure if they would consider a SDC to another airline. I know they would bump me to another airline if they had to.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by tikiboy
Thanks. The earlier flight is a Delta flight, so I am not sure if they would consider a SDC to another airline. I know they would bump me to another airline if they had to.
They wouldn't offer you an SDC to another airline.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:11 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
AS does have an electronic “advance VDB” that is offered during online checkin if they really are oversold enough to start asking for volunteers. It basically just puts your name at the top of the volunteer list in case they need it. There’s no way AS will commit to moving you to another flight at their expense until T-30 minutes, since that’s when they really know if there are more paid passengers ready to fly than there are seats. I’ve only been offered it online once and that was probably 2+ years ago.

Remember you can call reservations at any time and ask whether the flight is oversold and by how many. In my experience AS is VERY conservative about overbooking, and it is extremely rare to VDB/IDB someone. They understand their route network and frequencies are rarely sufficient enough to offer alternatives on their own metal, and they would ask for a local volunteer or put you up overnight before they rerouted you on another carrier.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
i've experienced what missy mentioned- QX reno to seattle early AM. had a voicemail from the gold desk when I woke up offering VDB compensation for taking a later flight. unfortunately by the time I called they already had enough volunteers. I don't remember why they were so proactive in getting volunteers... maybe weather? don't think it was a normal oversold situation. you'd probably need an equipment swap or terrible weather to necessitate an advanced bump.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I have been called once in 7 years by the Gold desk.

Also I do not recall hardly ever asking passengers for voluntary bumps at the airport due to being sold out. Seems quite rare on the routes I fly (LAX, SJC, IAH, DFW, PHX).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.