Wiki Posts
Search

AS frequent flyer miles to Australia/NZ

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:50 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jackal
Maybe if you actually need to get to Australia for business. But for some of us, the journey is part of the destination.

I'm sure it's fine if you view the flight as just "transportation," but I can't imagine that DL's BusinessElite (they don't have a three-cabin First product like CX) is a memorable experience in and of itself like CX F seems to be (at least from all the trip reports I've read on it).
Comparing DL BusinessElite to CX F is a bit like comparing a Japanese capsule hotel to a suite at the Four Seasons. Technically you can use both as accommodation for the night but the experience is so vastly different as to be almost incomparable.

I have flown DL's newest BE product in their 767-400 and I couldn't even lay my arms and shoulders flat due to the narrowness of the seat. CX F is the only seat I've been able to lay down flat and ROLL OVER and still have room left over.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
FI allows a stopover in KEF on PURCHASED tickets. They need the money.
not sure i understand what you are saying.

my tickets FAI to LON via SEA/KEF (one week stopover)
and
CDG to FAI via KEF/SEA

were not "purchased" it was total award, first class, the whole way and back.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by northtoalaska
not sure i understand what you are saying.

my tickets FAI to LON via SEA/KEF (one week stopover)
and
CDG to FAI via KEF/SEA

were not "purchased" it was total award, first class, the whole way and back.
I'm saying that FI has very liberal stopover rules for KEF on PAID tickets (which isn't all that common- try getting a stopover on a domestic ticket from a USA carrier). Not surprising that AWARD tickets (even through another airline) have similar liberal rules and are an exception to AS's "stopover or open jaw, not both" rules.

It's meant to encourage tourists to spend money in Iceland... and Iceland needs currency.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
It's meant to encourage tourists to spend money in Iceland... and Iceland needs currency.
And I want to spend some $ in KEF this summer, but no saver awards to be found ex-ANC on FI
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
I posted this (I thought on this thread). We had success booking 1st class on Cathay Air (160K miles x 2) -- LAX/HKG/BNE outbound and SYD/HKG/LAX return.

With your plan for October 2014 -- if you have 240K for two -- you could book a similar route -- and handle the booking in November. Alternatives to Cathay (which I've read will be a NICE experience albeit significantly longer flying time) would include Qantas (probably a tough get -- 220K business class for 2) or Delta (210K business class for 2), which you can search for online on the Alaska site and which seems to have increased availability, or Fiji Air (used to be Pacific Air) for 220K business class via Nadi.

A few other notes, Delta has moved to 777's for the long haul flight which should make for a more comfortable flight than they had in the past in business class, and Fiji will have shifted from older 747 jets to brand new A330's with lie flat seats as well.

With Delta and Fiji -- the window is 330 days (it's 360 for Cathay).

We were able to grab the outbound seats at 355 days and they were miraculously held for 28 days so that when I went to grab the return seats we were able to complete the deal.

One other consideration for you as you are in San Jose -- with Cathay you might be able to arrange SFO/HKG/Sydney and save the flight down to LAX.

Originally Posted by mjm1
Curious about your success in using AS miles to fly to Australia.

We are trying to plan a trip from San Jose, CA, most likely via LAX, to Sydney for October 2014 for 3 week trip. Will have enough miles for business class (220k for 2). Also visit Melbourne and NZ during trip so can fly into those cities if needed.

I checked the AS site and spoke to an agent but no flights/seats come up.

Appreciate hearing about experiences and recommendations.

Thank you.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

I've also noted that the availability is much improved for business class flights on Delta compared to what I was seeing six months ago.

For our trip next year, the 'cachet' of Cathay 1st class was something I was interested in any my wife was VERY interested in <smile>. Also, as I like to plan far in advance, the extra 30 days for the window (360 versus 330) was attractive.

That being said, I suspect the *next* time we plan to go to Australia (and I suspect there will be a next time), we will consider Delta as an option -- and then figure round trip additional flights to NZ and back as part of the plan.

Originally Posted by apodo77
As someone who has flown first on CX and first on DL from LAX-SYD on the 777-200LR I couldn't imagine not taking the DL flight if available.

The plane on this route is lie flat and although nowhere near CX service (I found it to be just fine but am not very picky) the direct route and time saved is well worth the it.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

I suspect one might also be able to do that with Fiji (Air Pacific) in Fiji (ie outbound to Australia, return via NZ, plus a layover in Fiji.

Of course sometimes (at least in the past though perhaps this will improve with the daily LAX/NADI flights using the A330's) that layover is due to surprise schedule changes....

I'm saying that FI has very liberal stopover rules for KEF on PAID tickets (which isn't all that common- try getting a stopover on a domestic ticket from a USA carrier). Not surprising that AWARD tickets (even through another airline) have similar liberal rules and are an exception to AS's "stopover or open jaw, not both" rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.