Turn off digital cameras too?

Subscribe
With all of the grief the AS chopping block is causing us lately this is hardly a big issue but still I am curious.

On AS 2011 last week SEA-MFR I had my digital camera out to take some pictures out the window on our departure (it was a beautiful morning in SEA). As we were taxiing, the FA barked at me from her seat to turn it off and that I could use it later. I did as I was told and later when we could use electronics she came over to me and told me that it is FAA reg's, that ANYTHING with an on/off switch has to be turned off. She further told me that if everyone on the plane had a digital camera on at the same time the FA's can sometimes get a shock using the PA/intercom. Seriously? I felt like I was being talked to like a child.

Now I have been on a flight or 2 or maybe it's closer to 2,000 and probably half of the time I have had my camera out taking pics or a video during depature and/or landing. I have NEVER been told to put it away and I have NEVER tried to hide that I was using one. I'd like to know somehow if they are allowed or not. Have I just been lucky to "get away with it" for all of these years or was this one FA a little over zealous. I'd like to use my camera if I can, I just don't want to get yelled at again, it was a little embarrassing.
You've been lucky to get away with it. We all take photos sometimes. They miss them on the checks before takeoff.

Anything with a battery must be turned off.
Quote: She further told me that if everyone on the plane had a digital camera on at the same time the FA's can sometimes get a shock using the PA/intercom. Seriously? I felt like I was being talked to like a child.
Well, if she's right, after the first sentence of the Credit Card announcement, we must all turn on our digital cameras (oh, please bring two if you have them) at the same time, and see what happens.
Quote: Well, if she's right, after the first sentence of the Credit Card announcement, we must all turn on our digital cameras (oh, please bring two if you have them) at the same time, and see what happens.
Hahahahahahahahaha! OMG, seriously, that's hysterical! Really! I'm not sure where she came up with that ridiculous idea but I think you're response is really funny.
Quote: You've been lucky to get away with it. We all take photos sometimes. They miss them on the checks before takeoff.

Some digital cameras also have a blue-tooth like connection that allows them to upload your pixs instantly to whatever time wasting social network you are hooked up to...

For that reason alone I can understand why the FAs would be advising folks to turn off the digital cameras in your possession...
Haven't heard anything about FAs getting shocked from everyone having their cameras on and clicking away at the same time....
Quote: You've been lucky to get away with it. We all take photos sometimes. They miss them on the checks before takeoff.

Well I guess I will just cherish all of those take off and landing videos even more so. ^
Ive done it many times. AS inflight magazine does not specifically mention cameras but some other airlines do. I always hide my camera well knowing regardless of whether its allowed or not someone will say its not.
I never put my camera away if I am sitting in the window seat. I've never been asked to put it away by an FA either. Sometimes I use my GPS during takeoff to determine the takeoff speed. Many times if I am by the window I will use my GPS to see how far we are from the destination. (hey, if AS won't put in IFE with gps maps, I'll just bring my own! )
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Quote: I never put my camera away if I am sitting in the window seat. I've never been asked to put it away by an FA either. Sometimes I use my GPS during takeoff to determine the takeoff speed. Many times if I am by the window I will use my GPS to see how far we are from the destination. (hey, if AS won't put in IFE with gps maps, I'll just bring my own! )
On AS GPS is prohibited
If I crash because of some lamea$$ photo of blurry stripes on the runway with flash reflection in the frame, I'm going to be P.O.'d at you guys!
Quote: Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

On AS GPS is prohibited
Really? On a recent AS flight while I was using foreflight on my ipad, the flight attendent was fascinated by the application and wanted to see for herself, never been bothered.
I think it's safe to say FA knowledge of, enforcement of, and personal adherence to the electronics policy varies somewhat. FWIW, here is what's official:

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...rd#electronics
Quote: I think it's safe to say FA knowledge of, enforcement of, and personal adherence to the electronics policy varies somewhat. FWIW, here is what's official:

Personal adherence is true... frustrating to see F/A's using ipads before 10K feet (on a recent ANC-SEA flight)
Quote: I think it's safe to say FA knowledge of, enforcement of, and personal adherence to the electronics policy varies somewhat. FWIW, here is what's official:

One of the items listed that are prohibited throughout the flight:

Hand-held computers or electronic devices receiving a signal (email, text messages, etc.)

This is dumb, I cannot connect my Blackberry to the in-flight WiFi to send email or text messages (BBM, Whatsapp, etc.)? They should clarify and say "cellular signal".
Quote: One of the items listed that are prohibited throughout the flight:

Hand-held computers or electronic devices receiving a signal (email, text messages, etc.)

This is dumb, I cannot connect my Blackberry to the in-flight WiFi to send email or text messages (BBM, Whatsapp, etc.)? They should clarify and say "cellular signal".

It is just not properly worded. You can buy Gogo for your mobile device.