Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 3, 12, 5:09 pm   #1
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA, CA
Programs: DL-GM, AS-MVPG, TK Elite, UA, AA, HH, SPG, PC (Starbucks Gold)
Posts: 89
Upgrades on Award Ticket

I'm a Delta-Silver (Gold next month) flying an AS award ticket this Friday. Do you know if/how I might qualify for possible UG? I'm flying through SEA, so I realize that pickings might be slim-to-nonexistent, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks
kstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 12, 5:34 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Posts: 8,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew View Post
I'm a Delta-Silver (Gold next month) flying an AS award ticket this Friday. Do you know if/how I might qualify for possible UG? I'm flying through SEA, so I realize that pickings might be slim-to-nonexistent, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks
Officially, no upgrades on award tickets. From as.com:
Quote:
Mileage Upgrades are booked in "U" Class and exclude award travel, industry, promotional discount, or two-for-one fares. Mileage Upgrades can be used in conjunction with Money & Miles (AS50) Award Tickets. Upgrades are subject to availability as "U" Class may not be available on all flights. Full Flex and Value fare categories are booked in Y, S, B, M, or H classes of service.
. . .
Paid Upgrades may also be available at the departure gate on the day of departure for all paid fares (credit card only).
Unofficially, it happens sometimes. See also:
FC upgrades on award tickets
Moving Into First With An Award Ticket
jerry a. laska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 12, 3:54 pm   #3
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA, CA
Programs: DL-GM, AS-MVPG, TK Elite, UA, AA, HH, SPG, PC (Starbucks Gold)
Posts: 89
Well, I really mustered up my best charming self and went for it. The GA at DIA was fantastic and tried to get me the UG...she even had the BP printed (1C)...but, alas, she was kicked to a screen requiring that I pay the $50 fee cause I was on an award ticket.

Oh well, I'm still gonna ask in the future...see what happens.
kstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 12, 8:56 am   #4
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 3,345
I guess I could rationalize paying $50 for an upgrade on an award ticket. You saved the extra miles for a FC award ticket and the ticket didn't cost anything but taxes and some miles.

If I knew that coach had a bunch of empty seats I might reconsider.
Jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 12, 7:35 pm   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS MVPG | UA 1K | TK Elite | Milepoint Gold | Greyhound RR
Posts: 12,186
Good luck. On my last flight they rather upgrade MVP's on cheap tickets instead of opening up 1X A seat so i can move from Y to F on my saver F award flight.
__________________
2014 EQM AS+Partners 63K - 23 segs | UA 15K - 4 segs
434K miles burned | 65K miles flown on awards
CDKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 12, 5:56 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP/Lifetime PLT, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver
Posts: 141
Not sure if this is unusual, but I just checked in on OAK-LIH AS#879 for tomorrow, and was offered a chance to buy upgrades for $100 per seat for me and the Mrs. We're flying on BA avios Y awards, a bargain at 25K plus $30 each RT -- and while I'm not sure it's worth $100 each to go from an exit row to the front (one-way) given what I've heard about AS first, I bit the bullet and paid. (I was also offered a price of 15K AS miles per seat -- which I passed on, assuming AS miles were worth more than the cash.) Neither of us has any AS status, but we're both AA EXP, which AS has in our record. Did I overpay?--it seemed easy to think not, what with having paid for our Y seats with BA avios... And I guess I'm hoping to get the chance to do it again on our return, though the first cabin looks a little fuller (8/16 occupied on the seat map, vs 4/16 on the outbound), so I can imagine I might not get the chance.
badah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 12, 11:08 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Anchorage, AK
Programs: AS MVPG75K, AA, DL, HH-G
Posts: 5,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by badah View Post
Not sure if this is unusual, but I just checked in on OAK-LIH AS#879 for tomorrow, and was offered a chance to buy upgrades for $100 per seat for me and the Mrs. We're flying on BA avios Y awards, a bargain at 25K plus $30 each RT -- and while I'm not sure it's worth $100 each to go from an exit row to the front (one-way) given what I've heard about AS first, I bit the bullet and paid. (I was also offered a price of 15K AS miles per seat -- which I passed on, assuming AS miles were worth more than the cash.) Neither of us has any AS status, but we're both AA EXP, which AS has in our record. Did I overpay?--it seemed easy to think not, what with having paid for our Y seats with BA avios... And I guess I'm hoping to get the chance to do it again on our return, though the first cabin looks a little fuller (8/16 occupied on the seat map, vs 4/16 on the outbound), so I can imagine I might not get the chance.
$100 got you the wider seat, more leg room, free digiplayer, nice meal & snacks and free alcohol. On this long of a journey I would consider it a bargain, especially on an award ticket.
__________________
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend
Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read
BOB W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 12, 1:04 am   #8
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP/Lifetime PLT, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB W View Post
$100 got you the wider seat, more leg room, free digiplayer, nice meal & snacks and free alcohol. On this long of a journey I would consider it a bargain, especially on an award ticket.
Yep, it was indeed worth it, as I now appreciate -- it was a very pleasant flight, even though the digiplayer didn't do much for me (had seen the movies of interest) and alcohol likewise (it's an early morning westbound flight and so not too conducive to any real drinking). I'm now counting my blessings (and hoping to count more on the return).
badah is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:24 am.