Bring status from AAdvantage to AS?

Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Gold, HiltonHHonors Diamond VIP, Rapid Rewards, Starwood Gold, Alaska Air MVP
Bring status from AAdvantage to AS?

I've had about a belly-full of AA, especially with the bankruptcy and possible union with USAir (hate'em!). Let alone the horrible options to use miles to get anyplace. I'm Lifetime Gold just about to hit Lifetime Platinum. Is it possible to transfer my status from AA to AS, like hotel programs do? I can't find it anywhere, but figured this would be the place. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
We are lifetime Gold with AA and were status matched with AS at the MVP level, not MVP Gold (I think it depends on how many miles/segments you have at the time - we had almost the MVP equivalent, not what you need for AS's Gold).

We were also told to wait until October of the year we did it (we waited) because before October you get the status for the current year, wait until October and you get the status for the rest of that year and all the next.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 5:13 pm

I will add that I don't think it had anything to do with us being LIFETIME GOLD on AA, it had everything to do with the number of miles/segments we had YTD at the time (which was a combination of AS and AA). We had to give them the link to our current AA account information.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I will add that I don't think it had anything to do with us being LIFETIME GOLD on AA, it had everything to do with the number of miles/segments we had YTD at the time (which was a combination of AS and AA). We had to give them the link to our current AA account information.
You may get lucky and get a 1 year match, but they aren't going to match the lifetime part of it. And, typically, even 1 year matches are based on annual qualification miles.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The only way to get lifetime status on AS is planting your butt in a seat on a plane with an Eskimo on the tail for a million miles. No credit cards, no partners.

AS is quite generous with matches, but they are quite firm on the lifetime status.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:57 pm

One more thought - AS matches are a one in a lifetime option. So, if you are close to AA Plat, you may want to wait until you hit that and then do a match. At least then you'd have MVP Gold instead of just MVP.

What are you looking to get out of the match? AS MVP's don't get a whole lot more on AS than AA's Gold Members do. Main difference I see in in Bonus RDM.

AA Gold on AS:
500 mile min
Priority Check-in & boarding
Waived fees for 2 bags
25% Mileage bonus

AS MVP:
Unlimited Complimentary upgrades (Realistically, good luck with that as MVP. As MVP Gold I was 0/12 on AS)
Priority boarding
Waived fees for 2 bags
Preferred seating on AS, AA, DL
50% bonus flight miles on AA, AF, AS, DL, Emirates, KLM, LAN
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:36 pm

I just noticed that the OP is already MVP with Alaska...I see no benefit whatsoever to even going through the process, unless as stated above you are close to Plat on AA.

And we had the added misfortune of bothering JUST before they started the reciprocal elite privileges with AA - so really no tangible benefits for us, either.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I just noticed that the OP is already MVP with Alaska...I see no benefit whatsoever to even going through the process, unless as stated above you are close to Plat on AA.

And we had the added misfortune of bothering JUST before they started the reciprocal elite privileges with AA - so really no tangible benefits for us, either.
Good point. If already MVP, no reason to do a status match at all.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 11:49 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by SteveinDanville
I've had about a belly-full of AA, especially with the bankruptcy and possible union with USAir (hate'em!). Let alone the horrible options to use miles to get anyplace. I'm Lifetime Gold just about to hit Lifetime Platinum. Is it possible to transfer my status from AA to AS, like hotel programs do? I can't find it anywhere, but figured this would be the place. Thanks in advance.
You can't match to MVP Gold if you're already AS MVP, and you can't match the lifetime benefit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.