Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Daydreaming of direct Alaska flights at YVR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Daydreaming of direct Alaska flights at YVR

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Had AS not drawn down YVR, I think they could have made YVR-Hawaii work because they would have had the frequent flier base in Vancouver. Now, not so much. The only US carrier in the present environment I can see making Vancouver-Hawaii work is HA, because they have the advantage of a hub in HNL. AC and WS make that route work because they have the advantage of feed on the Vancouver end. Every American carrier, sans HA, would have to rely on point-to-point traffic.

As for Kelly's comment, I agree it made sense at the time. Vancouver is a global city, probably more so than Seattle. I still maintain that if it were not for the growth of WestJet, and the feed it provides, AS would be at focus-city level in Vancouver.
Old May 7, 2012, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Chugach
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Had AS not drawn down YVR, I think they could have made YVR-Hawaii work because they would have had the frequent flier base in Vancouver. Now, not so much. The only US carrier in the present environment I can see making Vancouver-Hawaii work is HA, because they have the advantage of a hub in HNL. AC and WS make that route work because they have the advantage of feed on the Vancouver end. Every American carrier, sans HA, would have to rely on point-to-point traffic.

As for Kelly's comment, I agree it made sense at the time. Vancouver is a global city, probably more so than Seattle. I still maintain that if it were not for the growth of WestJet, and the feed it provides, AS would be at focus-city level in Vancouver.
Agree completely with your comment concerning HA. And not only connecting traffic to their interisland flights but also to new international destinations served by HA from HNL as they add A330s and introduce A350s.
Old May 7, 2012, 9:26 pm

From the Spokane Spokesman in May of '95:
The road to recovery for Alaska Air Group Inc. goes through Vancouver, British Columbia.
Chairman John F. Kelly identified better access to the Vancouver market as one of Alaska'a top goals in comments...
Vancouver can support as many Alaska Airlines flights as Portland, the West Coast regional carrier's No. 2 base behind Seattle with 45 flights daily, Kelly said...
The rejected Alaska Airline bids would have linked Vancouver with Oakland, Calif., continuing to Orange County, Calif., and San Diego, continuing to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.
In 1997, when all restrictions are off, "watch out," he said. "The biggest opportunities we have are in the Vancouver market"... Horizon already provides extensive Canadian service, with 11 flight daily between Vancouver and Seattle and four daily between Vancouver and Portland..
And another blast from the past:
Combined with feeder and commuter service on Horizon Airlines, the company's other subsidiary, Alaska Air has operation at 77 airports in six states, Canada, Mexico, and Russia.
Clearly things change. Drastic changes can occur in an instant, so it's obvious that one wouldn't expect things to stay the same in the nearly 17 years that have passed since these comments. It's still massively disappointing how much AS has drawn down ops here though. Saddest point was when the BR was closed down I think.

I still maintain that if it were not for the growth of WestJet, and the feed it provides, AS would be at focus-city level in Vancouver.
Completely agree.

Originally Posted by jlemon
And with regard to YVR-Hawaii, I think CO tried flying YVR-HNL at one point. Didn't work.

Then some years later, Aloha flew YVR-HNL with a 73G. Didn't work either.
Continental only lasted one season with a DC-10, though IIRC Aloha remained in Vancouver for a few years. I know they got decent business from here to the Pacific islands, especially RAR. I think the problem for the US based airlines, at least during the Aloha time was the lack of feed. They were relying pretty much entirely on the Vancouver market for passengers.

In the case of AS, why add on a 738 from Vancouver to wherever (HNL, OGG, KOA, etc.) and risk lowering load factor not only on their BLI-HNL and SEA-HNL/OGG/KOA flights, but also their YVR-SEA flights? If what they're doing now is working for them, why change it?
Old May 7, 2012, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird84
From the Spokane Spokesman in May of '95:

And another blast from the past:

Clearly things change. Drastic changes can occur in an instant, so it's obvious that one wouldn't expect things to stay the same in the nearly 17 years that have passed since these comments. It's still massively disappointing how much AS has drawn down ops here though. Saddest point was when the BR was closed down I think.

Completely agree.

Continental only lasted one season with a DC-10, though IIRC Aloha remained in Vancouver for a few years. I know they got decent business from here to the Pacific islands, especially RAR. I think the problem for the US based airlines, at least during the Aloha time was the lack of feed. They were relying pretty much entirely on the Vancouver market for passengers.

In the case of AS, why add on a 738 from Vancouver to wherever (HNL, OGG, KOA, etc.) and risk lowering load factor not only on their BLI-HNL and SEA-HNL/OGG/KOA flights, but also their YVR-SEA flights? If what they're doing now is working for them, why change it?
We also had Air Pacific (continuing to Fiji) from YVR. However, AS doesn't get involved (smartly) due to the war between WS and AC for the route. WS start ramping up, AC flips extra capacity on 767-300s, and that's a lot of seats to fill.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I noticed a mainline flight SEA-YVR on August 19th, which sadly leaves too early for me to use it on my way back from France (first class award space was open), but I was surprised to see a non-Q400.

Turns out the flight is published for all of August, but *just* August. Is that a normal summer thing? I usually drive to BC, so don't really know the patterns.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:24 am

AS used to have a big presence at YVR, big enough to even have a Board Room. There's the aforementioned YVR-LAX, plus in the past there have been the following routes that I can remember:

YVR-SFO
YVR-LAS
YVR-SNA (I think most of us know that story)
YVR-ANC (started in response to AC starting this route; AS lasted for a few years, AC is still in the market seasonally although I strongly believe someone could make this route work year-round with the right aircraft)

And of course there is still the Q400 service from YVR to SEA and PDX.

I think the AS drawdown at YVR is two-fold:

1. The advance of WestJet up and down the west coast
2. G4 starting (and succeeding) at BLI, just down BC99.

G4 has been rumored for several years to be looking at BLI-Hawaii, which in reality would be to serve the Lower Mainland a lot more than Bellingham. AS started BLI-HNL as a pre-emptive strike in that market, and BLI-LAS as a response to G4. I think if it wasn't for the Bellingham factor, you'd see many more AS flights out of Vancouver now, particularly to Hawaii.

As for WestJet, I don't think they've had as big of an effect on AS as G4 has in the Lower Mainland, but they do serve many of the same west coast routes that AS did. I think at the end of the day, AS decided it wasn't worth it to compete with two entrenched Canadian carriers on that corridor when their "mega" hub at SEA was only a 20-minute flight away, as well as the aforementioned opportunities at BLI. In some respects YVR suffers from "Portlanditis" in the eyes of AS due to being so close to the SEA hub.
Over the years, AS has also flown YVR-PSP/PHX/SAN.

G4 flew BLI-HNL and OGG and finally threw the towel in. Hawaii didn't turn out to be the cash cow they thought it would be. Currently, they only fly HNL to LAX and LAS. AS has, to some degree, effectively fought off G4 out of BLI, it's WestJet that caused Alaska to discontinue most of the YVR flying.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
you left out YVR-PHX
and YVR/PSP but WS ran that one out of town.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Over the years, AS has also flown YVR-PSP/PHX/SAN.

G4 flew BLI-HNL and OGG and finally threw the towel in. Hawaii didn't turn out to be the cash cow they thought it would be. Currently, they only fly HNL to LAX and LAS. AS has, to some degree, effectively fought off G4 out of BLI, it's WestJet that caused Alaska to discontinue most of the YVR flying.
Fun to read back through this thread and see what had changed in three years.

YVR is a big enough market for AS to pay attention to, but with Westjet's growth plus their tie-in with DL, I can see why AS is focusing on its core markets.

Side note, I wouldn't be too surprised if Westjet gave ANC a seasonal try eventually. Seems like a market they could do well in, and they seem to have to success flying to YXY in the summer.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:23 pm

Fun to read back through this thread and see what had changed in three years.

YVR is a big enough market for AS to pay attention to, but with Westjet's growth plus their tie-in with DL, I can see why AS is focusing on its core markets.

Side note, I wouldn't be too surprised if Westjet gave ANC a seasonal try eventually. Seems like a market they could do well in, and they seem to have to success flying to YXY in the summer.
We used to stay at the YVR Fairmont hotel. Many of the rooms at the hotel overlooked the transborder terminal. I remember watching the planes coming and going from my room window. There were usually about four, sometimes five, Alaska planes that would RON there, and at least a couple QX planes. During the day you would see Alaska planes coming and going all day long. AS was easily the largest U.S. carrier at YVR, and probably had more flights to the lower 48 of the U.S. than even Air Canada. It's sad that it's been reduced so much over the years, but I guess they have an obligation to their stockholders to go where the most $$$ is. I miss the YVR layovers quite a bit - they were always nice.

I wouldn't be surprised to see WS try a seasonal YVR-ANC flight. They could probably snag a fair amount of cruise traffic during the summer. I'm surprised that AS hasn't tried it again. I'm also surprised that AS hasn't tried YXY from SEA, JNU or ANC.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: All the Programs...
I wouldn't be surprised to see WS try a seasonal YVR-ANC flight. They could probably snag a fair amount of cruise traffic during the summer. I'm surprised that AS hasn't tried it again. I'm also surprised that AS hasn't tried YXY from SEA, JNU or ANC.
I could see ANC-YXY on a Q400...
Old May 26, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Originally Posted by hgdf
Airport Improvement Fee: 20.26

So, while Canada doesn't charge for customs/immigration/agriculture inspections, but they certainly do make everyone pony up big time for airport improvements, security, as well as mandatory donations to the welfare state.
"Canada" doesn't charge the airport improvement fee: YVR does; it's privately run. And, unlike most US airports that collect an AIF (often less, to be fair), there never seems to be any improvement. Whereas YVR is awesome and continues to be improved.

BTW the fee is based on the destination you're travelling to/from. And it had to be paid at the airport in cash originally--a major pain.
Old May 26, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
I wounder if the E-175 or CRJ 700 would be commercially viable on ANC-YVR. Based on my understanding of cabotage restrictions, ANC-YVR-SEA/PDX/LAX would be a legal routing provided the exact same carrier is operating both flights.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
I wounder if the E-175 or CRJ 700 would be commercially viable on ANC-YVR. Based on my understanding of cabotage restrictions, ANC-YVR-SEA/PDX/LAX would be a legal routing provided the exact same carrier is operating both flights.
Air Canada [Express] fly a CRJ-705 from YVR-ANC in the summer
Old May 26, 2015, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by CZBB
Air Canada [Express] fly a CRJ-705 from YVR-ANC in the summer
Huh? It's an A319. They've used the E-jets occasionally in the past but never a CR7 that I'm aware of.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
That'd be a long flight on the AS version of a CR7. E-jet would be a better fit but would require some schedule positioning to make it happen.

When AS flew YVR-ANC, it was usually a through flight to SAN or SFO, so it's been done before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.