Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

In what order do they take FC meal choice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:28 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

It has been a while since I have taken AS. It use to be they took meal choice orders from front to back....today on flight # 244 the FA was all over the cabin in no particular order that I could tell. We were in row 2 and we were some of the last to have our order taken....although by luck we got "stuck" with the pork shank which was great.....until I found what I think to be a fingernail clipping in my polenta. ( I showed it to the FA who swore it wasn't hers. )

Last edited by david55; Dec 22, 2011 at 5:17 am
Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
(At least) one FA does women first.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I'd say on 80% of flights, front to back. Occasionally, back to front, and occasionally up the A side, back the F side or similar.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Most of the time its seems to be front to back, although there is an occasional oddball meal ordering.
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ly-flawed.html
And as noted above:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ht=meal+choice
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
On a recent SEA-LIH-SEA, it was front to back on both flights. We were in the last row of F. On LIH-SEA, the attendant asked the entire F cabin if anyone had food allergies, strong preferences, etc. Ms. SeAAtle had a strong preference (allergy related) and the attendant gladly accommodated her request. I had no choice when she finally got to us but did not mind.

I fly mostly AA, which takes orders based on FEBO -start at the Front on Even numbered flights, at the Back on Odd numbered flights. They serve front to back.

Seems fair. I certainly don't fly F for the food.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
I had one of those all over the place experiences. It was disconcerting.

The last OAK-LIH-OAK trip, both directions I found the two choices equally interesting, so I told the FA I would take whatever was left. On the LIH-OAK direction, a couple of vegetarians took no meal, so I still ended up getting to make a choice as there was one of each left.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:56 pm

Tipping helps the routine!

More often now, I see recognition & preference given to 75KGold members - which is just the way I like it!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by Valveman
Tipping helps the routine!

More often now, I see recognition & preference given to 75KGold members - which is just the way I like it!
I wouldn't have a problem with that, but it seems what happens today is consistently inconsistent.
Frankly, I do try to pick row 2 when it is open so I can have a choice.
I've only seen the gender ordering on Hawaii flights, which are pretty heavily couples. In fact, I usually expect to be asked to move by a day-of-flight upgrading couple. The problem with "Gender" first is that I'll always be in the second half, since I'm either alone or with my same-gender spouse.

So either a defined ordering by row or by status, at least I could predict.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Valveman
That would be nice but i never see that happen. Maybe its new in the past month or so?
Old May 2, 2012, 9:44 am

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but I've got another trip coming up to KOA and wanted to confirm how it works for meal selection.

Does this sound right?

1) FEBO does not appear to be the norm on AS

2) Its almost always from the front, but not always.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: All Around Nobody
AS generally doesn't follow FEBO, though I've had a couple flights in which they did. IME, in most cases it's front to back then left (A, C) to right (D, F).

I've never seen them give priority to 75Ks in the F cabin, but I have seen them take drink orders for 75Ks in Y before offering beverages to everyone else.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I have never been on an AS flight that has a choice of meals. Furthest I fly AS is SEA-IAH and it's usually some crummy sandwich with salad.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by apodo77
I have never been on an AS flight that has a choice of meals. Furthest I fly AS is SEA-IAH and it's usually some crummy sandwich with salad.
The only choices I've had were whether I wanted the meal or not and on the rare occasion when I wanted the meal
Old May 2, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by sbedelman
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but I've got another trip coming up to KOA and wanted to confirm how it works for meal selection.

Does this sound right?

On my trip to/from SEA-LIH in late April, it was front to back heading to Hawaii.

Coming back was the same, but the FA asked before she started the process whether anyone had any "strong preferences" so she could take those into account. Surprisingly, even with some folks having a "strong preference", everybody ended up happy.
Old May 2, 2012, 12:06 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by sbedelman
That about sums it up. I don't think AS has a prescribed method, so it's largely up to the individual FA. In my experience, it's almost always front-to-back. Of the last several dozen flights I can remember, only 1 or 2 of them have been served starting from the back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.