Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Old May 3, 2012, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ D*G, AS MVPG, AF G, GHA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

I was going to apply for the Alaska Airlines Mastercard (Canada - MBNA) but I can't find the link on their website anymore! Did they get rid of it?
Old May 3, 2012, 3:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Looks to be there still...

https://www.applyonlinenow.com/us/alaska-allproducts/index.html?sc=VABC3U

Click Canadian Card which yields:

https://www.applyonlinenow.com/CACCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=CJWQ&lc=en_CA

I think a bank bought another one in Canada which may have changed branding, but it should earn most of the same miles.
Old May 3, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: AS MVP
The Alaska Airlines Mastercard is no longer carried by MBNA. It still exists, but is now administered by another bank.

ETA: Past thread on this topic:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...-read-mor.html

It is now a Bank of America product here in Canada and there is no online access to account details for the Canadian consumer. (AFAIK, TD has not yet bought the card from BoA).

Last edited by Mariby; May 3, 2012 at 9:16 am
Old May 3, 2012, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ D*G, AS MVPG, AF G, GHA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Thanks beckoa for the link. They changed their website a bit, and a few weeks ago, they had a direct link to their Mastercard page (with the Canadian maple leaf) but now it displays their Visa card instead.

Either way, the card is still under MBNA's portfolio (even though MBNA is now part of TD). Thanks guys for your help! I'll be looking to use my bonus pretty soon.
Old May 3, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by deasine
....Either way, the card is still under MBNA's portfolio (even though MBNA is now part of TD). Thanks guys for your help! I'll be looking to use my bonus pretty soon.
Checked MBNA's website and the AS card is no longer listed as one of MBNA's cards. My understanding is that it is one of a handful of cards that BoA retained in the sale and that situation has not changed.

In any event, there is no difference to the Canadian consumer except that since it is no longer a MBNA card, online access to AS credit card accounts are no longer available for Canadians. You will still have a statement mailed to you once a month.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:57 pm

Yes all seems to still be working although not having access to the online statement will be a showstopper at some point soon for charging business expenses, travel and non travel since my employer requires anything purchased in USD to include bank statement so they can see exchange rates. Not being able to provide an electronic copy means it delays reimbursement by an extra month which gets costly

However, BofA has offered 1500 points in recognition of the inconvenience which is a nice touch, but i confess i am starting to eye other airline reward credit cards...hopefully they get this transition resolved soon.
Old May 17, 2012, 4:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet Rewards
Not having online access is a deal breaker for me as well..though I heard it should be available sometime in the fall. Winter in Mexico so online is a must.
Old May 22, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: as,ac,ua,spg
I know it's a pain in the rear to not be able to access the account online. You can however get your balance via telephone banking. Having said that , I hope they get online access very soon ! Love the card - hate the inconvenience. By the way, I hope the good folks at AS would change one of the flights to YYC to mainline. We could use it !
Ciao
Old May 25, 2012, 12:45 am

It's stupid that there's no online access. I regularly check my bank account and all my credit cards pretty much every morning - a few go rounds with compromised cards with thousands of dollars of charges racked up and the ensuing hassle/paperwork made it seem prudent.

I can't do that so I guess when I get my statement, I'll let them know if there's any incidents, as opposed to calling them immediately with a security concern.
Old May 25, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: HH Gold; Fairmont Platinum; SPG Platinum
I decided that the lack of online access was a deal breaker for me so called the number (provided in the BoA Canada letter I received) to cancel. No problem cancelling but discover that my renewal has just been processed (must have been in the last few days as my statement date is May 19th and there`s no charge as of May 19th). According to the rep, the renewal fee cannot be waived or reversed so I must pay it. He told me to call Alaska Airlines if I want to dispute the charge.

Now I`m totally confused, so ask to speak to a supervisor. After a delay, get told that all the managers are at a meeting or unavailable but one will call me within 48 hours. Didn`t think it was going to be this difficult.
Old May 26, 2012, 12:10 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by davvos
According to the rep, the renewal fee cannot be waived or reversed so I must pay it. He told me to call Alaska Airlines if I want to dispute the charge.

It's frustrating that a bank employee would tell you to contact AS to dispute a Bank Fee. AS has no control to waive such a fee.

I wonder if they would like passengers to call them about a flight delay?
Old May 26, 2012, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by davvos
I decided that the lack of online access was a deal breaker for me so called the number (provided in the BoA Canada letter I received) to cancel. No problem cancelling but discover that my renewal has just been processed (must have been in the last few days as my statement date is May 19th and there`s no charge as of May 19th). According to the rep, the renewal fee cannot be waived or reversed so I must pay it. He told me to call Alaska Airlines if I want to dispute the charge.
Has the companion ticket posted to your Alaska Air account? If so, that would be reason BoA might be loathe to refund the fee. IF you can prove your renewal date is AFTER you phoned-in, which would be a lot easier with on-line access, then you may have an even better case for a reversal.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: HH Gold; Fairmont Platinum; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by robsaw
Has the companion ticket posted to your Alaska Air account? If so, that would be reason BoA might be loathe to refund the fee. IF you can prove your renewal date is AFTER you phoned-in, which would be a lot easier with on-line access, then you may have an even better case for a reversal.
Thanks, I wondered about that as well but the companion ticket had not been posted so that wasn't the issue. Think it was just a CSR who wasn't really up to speed.

Regardless, I did get a call back from a very knowledgeable manager just a few minutes ago and there isn't a problem crediting the renewal fee since I'm closing the account and haven't used the card.

All's well that ends well although the spike in my BP talking to the CSR probably wasn't good!
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by finnster
However, BofA has offered 1500 points in recognition of the inconvenience which is a nice touch, but i confess i am starting to eye other airline reward credit cards...hopefully they get this transition resolved soon.
Has anyone had these 1500 points post yet? They show on my last BofA statement as posting, but only the normal purchase points from that statement have appeared in my Alaska account, not these extra 1500.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
Has anyone had these 1500 points post yet? They show on my last BofA statement as posting, but only the normal purchase points from that statement have appeared in my Alaska account, not these extra 1500.
I haven't gotten them yet but as I recall the letter I received indicated that they would be posted in mid-June.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.