Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet Rewards
You can apply online .
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by yerffej201
So you need to talk to an agent. Can't just apply online?
Was thinking to add to churn if so.
Sorry if I wasn't clear... I did apply online after my discussion with the CSR.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by mplflyer
I get the feeling this AS MasterCard is the unwanted child of both AS and MasterCard. AS has the card buried so deep on their website, they obviously don't care to promote it anymore. I'm worried this card company won't go to bat for me in this dispute. I hope I'm wrong.
Mastercard (the global corporate entity) isn't involved, the players are Alaska Airlines and Bank of America (Canada branch to be precise) and any other bank that MAY be interested in buying this credit card brand. And Alaska is only a secondary partner, they have extremely little influence over the actual credit operations of BofA.

With the vast majority of the former MBNA Canada credit-cards sold to TD (and Shoppers to RBC), BofA Canada has precious little assets to spend much effort on in Canada. I think it is just a matter of time before they sell-off the remaining former MBNA cards they still hold or they'll close them down. The other problem for a Canadian bank would be the narrow geographical focus of Alaska Airlines that makes marketing the specialty card difficult outside of BC and Alberta.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw
Mastercard (the global corporate entity) isn't involved, the players are Alaska Airlines and Bank of America (Canada branch to be precise) and any other bank that MAY be interested in buying this credit card brand. And Alaska is only a secondary partner, they have extremely little influence over the actual credit operations of BofA.

With the vast majority of the former MBNA Canada credit-cards sold to TD (and Shoppers to RBC), BofA Canada has precious little assets to spend much effort on in Canada. I think it is just a matter of time before they sell-off the remaining former MBNA cards they still hold or they'll close them down. The other problem for a Canadian bank would be the narrow geographical focus of Alaska Airlines that makes marketing the specialty card difficult outside of BC and Alberta.
As should add YYZ, YEG, YUL, and YOW!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: AP, AS, BAEC, HH, SPG, FPC, PC
Originally Posted by braffy
Not to mention the 25K sign-up bonus, and the 2x BR passes.
I'm on their website and I don't see them mentioning anything about the BR passes - I think they may have removed this feature as well.

I didn't renew my card with them since it'll just cost me the same to apply for a new card and get the 25k bonus.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 1:57 pm

I am thinking of adding this card to my churn, since I've discovered so many great routes on AS from YVR, BIL & SEA, but I am wondering if anyone thinks they may have a promo coming out anytime soon (like, to have the annual fee waived like in the US)? The 25,000 is a decent sign up bonus for a low-fee card.

I do agree it can be challenging to find low-redemption flights on AS, but it at least adds another option for me to not have to redeem on AE or BA.

From the looks of this thread though, I am doubting this card is getting pushed much, so I am thinking it's wishful thinking for any promos?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I am thinking of adding this card to my churn, since I've discovered so many great routes on AS from YVR, BIL & SEA, but I am wondering if anyone thinks they may have a promo coming out anytime soon (like, to have the annual fee waived like in the US)? The 25,000 is a decent sign up bonus for a low-fee card.

I do agree it can be challenging to find low-redemption flights on AS, but it at least adds another option for me to not have to redeem on AE or BA.

From the looks of this thread though, I am doubting this card is getting pushed much, so I am thinking it's wishful thinking for any promos?
Where is this US offer for annual fee waiver?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by johnp012001
Where is this US offer for annual fee waiver?
I didn't see this for myself, just read it here. Maybe outdated info?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I didn't see this for myself, just read it here. Maybe outdated info?
Must be. I don't think I've every seen an annual fee waiver on this card. Just occasioinally some extra bonus miles.

Since the Canadian card is in a bit of transition, and it's burried at the bottom of page on their website, I wouldn't expect any kind of promotion until they find a new issuer.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Si_Ting_ca
I'm on their website and I don't see them mentioning anything about the BR passes - I think they may have removed this feature as well.
BR passes do appear to be gone, just did a cancel/re-apply cycle - no passes, and no promise of any either on the web-app page.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 7:28 pm

Still seems like a decent card. 25,000 points will get me on a flight to see my friend in ATL. Not bad for the $75 fee. I am thinking of getting it, but I may need to wait awhile, since I've hit my application limit for this quarter (and then some!)
Old Oct 22, 2012, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ D*G, AS MVPG, AF G, GHA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
BR passes do appear to be gone, just did a cancel/re-apply cycle - no passes, and no promise of any either on the web-app page.
Did you get the bonus again?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by deasine
Did you get the bonus again?

yes, still a great card to churn for 25000 a pop.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 3:15 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Si_Ting_ca

When on-line access to credit card details for Canadian consumers was removed, I cancelled my card.

On November 5, I received an email invitation to re-apply, which included board room passes (I bolded for easy reference):
...In addition to the 25,000 bonus miles†† you receive on approval, this credit card has many other benefits:
  • Receive an annual coach Companion Fare from $110 (USD) ($99 base fare plus taxes and fees, from $11 depending on your Alaska Airlines flight itinerary) yearly, on the enrollment anniversary
  • One mile for every qualifying net retail dollar spent on purchases‡
  • Three miles for every qualifying net retail dollar in purchases of Alaska Airlines flights or Vacation Packages‡
  • Two Board Room day passes‡
  • International acceptance at millions of locations
Don't forget, you can use your card to earn travel to more than 700 destinations on six continents on any of Alaska Airlines 15 airline partners: Delta Air Lines, American Airlines®, Air France, KLM, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Air Pacific, Korean Air, LAN, Qantas, PenAir, Era Alaska, Kenmore Air, Icelandair, and Emirates....
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:51 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Is online access back yet?

How can it be 2012 and BofA USA's largest Bank not have an IT team able to provide 73 canadians access?

Can I just open the card for a few months and NEVER make a transaction aside from the annual fee?

I have the US Alaska Card and I will reverse churn these.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.