Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
Got my card today (my second currently open but probably sixth overall in the past 2 years) and, rather than the World Elite that I have always gotten since they started offering them, it is a Platinum Plus. Yay! Now I can upgrade it to the WE for the bonus miles. Strangely, it has a credit limit about 3 times the size my current WE yet it is still only a Plat Plus.

As a data point, applied Aug 20, no instant approval, GCR account increased by $60 after about 10 days, 25k points and the Companion Cert showed up in my AS account Sept 1, card arrived today.
Under-reported income as well to get the Platinum Plus. Are they offering a 10k promo for upgrading now? So you can just call them?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
I under-reported but have not seen the upgrade offer... how does one get it?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:56 am

You wait for them to offer it (it shows up on your rewards tab under offers). I got it 2 months after opening, but I had switched over to the card and charged everything on it (maybe 3k-5k)
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
You wait for them to offer it (it shows up on your rewards tab under offers)
I wonder if the rewards tab and/or offers like this will even exist after the new website goes live?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:20 pm

I believe it'll exist in some form

https://www.managerewardsonline.bank...e?locale=en_CA

The first banner implies it to me
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:54 am

What is DCTA?

Can someone please tell me what this is? Is there a link to this site?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by bsim
Can someone please tell me what this is? Is there a link to this site?
It's a Canadian blog and stands for "Don't Call the Airline". The website is at http://dcta.ca
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by crimsona
You wait for them to offer it (it shows up on your rewards tab under offers). I got it 2 months after opening, but I had switched over to the card and charged everything on it (maybe 3k-5k)
My understanding is that WE upgrade offers are once or twice a year. Make sure your MBNA profile reflects the income requirements (120k), and sometime after the system switch, you may be offered the upgrade.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:39 pm

I have never had an MBNA card take this long!

08-22 Applied On-line (no instant approval)
08-26 Call from MBNA to confirm details and advise of approval and that card will be issued in 48 hours (no card received)
09-11 25,000 Bonus points awarded (posted as World Elite Enrollment Bonus)
09-12 Receive notification from GCR that rebate has been awarded
09-14 Companion Cert awarded

09-16 No card yet!
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: *void
Well, MBNA might be a bit 'tied-up' with the new online system coming up later this month.

My datapoints from last year:
08-27 - wife and I both applied for our new MBNA Alaska Air cards
08-29 - MBNA called to ask if I can shift some limit from another MBNA carrd as I've reach my $50K max with them. Agreed, and the application goes thru.
09-08 - $75 GCR cash rebate noticed online for my wife's account.
09-12 - Wife's Alaska Air card arrives (+2 weeks), but mine not delivered yet.
09-12 - called MBNA to ask where my own card is...they said "Oh", and that they would "release it now" Huh?
09-16 - $75 GCR cash rebate noticed online for my account.
09-19 - my card finally arrives in the mail (+3 weeks).

I guess the main thing right now is that the 25,000 points are already in your AS account. If you need the card to spend and accumulate, give MBNA a call and see what the holdup is...as per my note above, they hung onto my card for some reason, and didn't release it, till I called for its status.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Applied today, didnt realize the card may perhaps be ending on 9/30.

At the end of the application the thing said they will get back to me in 30 days.

30 days???
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Applied today, didnt realize the card may perhaps be ending on 9/30.

At the end of the application the thing said they will get back to me in 30 days.

30 days???
MBNA's token application summary screen. Call them in 3 biz days and ask for your card's application status.

So, are you saying MBNA is ending their partnership with Alaska Air? Where did you see this reported?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
So, are you saying MBNA is ending their partnership with Alaska Air? Where did you see this reported?
Nowhere, except for some fear-mongering here.
BUT They did end their relationship with Choice at the 9/30 changeover. So you never know. And I need to top up for an AS award anyway before I go down to lowly MVP and have to pay fees.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Nowhere, except for some fear-mongering here.
BUT They did end their relationship with Choice at the 9/30 changeover. So you never know. And I need to top up for an AS award anyway before I go down to lowly MVP and have to pay fees.
Oh THAT!?! Yeah, someone pulled a "Chicken Little" and threw a 'panic-wrench' into the system...as it turned out, it was simply an announcement from MBNA, notifying existing customers that their online system would be transitioning to parent TD's system.

You had me starting to panic again, cuz you know, you have a lot of forum-cred, and if you says it's so, then it's (probably) so. Thanks for clarifying it was just the fear-mongering!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 am

Hey, I cancelled my 6/26

Re-applied 9/11 due to this "Chicken little" move to TD, just in case
I under-reported income below $60K

and today 9/17 I just got GCR notification of my $60 cashback, and will wait for my card in mail

EDIT: just to add, my FREE Equifax plan (from Home Depot offering) sent me email alert saying MBNA has opened new account in my name (correctly)

Last edited by jerryhung; Sep 17, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.