Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by crimsona
If you provided an income that would get the world card, I expect you to get the world card based on prior experiences
Even if I got the sell directly from AS customer care who transferred me via phone to complete the app? I went through the whole app (which was recorded) wherein the CC sales rep went over the details with me (incl. annual fee of $75) for the platinum card?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
"Sadly", you'll get the World Elite version (= no upgrade offer later)

Next time I apply, I'll lower the income to sub-$60K I think for non-Elite version, then hope for the 10K upgrade offer
See above. I provided income information (without knowing about the threshold beforehand) and the rep continued on with the regular app just as normal. If they send me the elite card I will explain that it was not what I was applying for, and at no time did the recorded message state that if income is higher then they can arbitrarily send me the elite. I see online they have a disclaimer to that effect, but not over the phone.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:09 pm

Read the experiences of others in this thread. Sales reps aren't the ones making the decisions.

Just wait and see what you get. If you don't qualify for the world card you'll get the Platinum Plus anyways, and this whole discussion is moot.

Do you get any incentive applying over the phone? Great Canadian Rebates still has $60 signup credit, which offsets most of the first year annual fee. I never considered doing it on the phone.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by kyden
See above. I provided income information (without knowing about the threshold beforehand) and the rep continued on with the regular app just as normal. If they send me the elite card I will explain that it was not what I was applying for, and at no time did the recorded message state that if income is higher then they can arbitrarily send me the elite. I see online they have a disclaimer to that effect, but not over the phone.
With CIBC Aerogold vs. Aerogold Elite, there's a clear disclaimer in there that CIBC can choose to send you the Elite version even if you did not apply for it

I think the whole motive is that banks/providers get higher % commission for Elite cards vs. non-Elite

Let us know what MBNA sends you
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:34 pm

Read the experiences of others in this thread. Sales reps aren't the ones making the decisions.

Just wait and see what you get. If you don't qualify for the world card you'll get the Platinum Plus anyways, and this whole discussion is moot.

Do you get any incentive applying over the phone? Great Canadian Rebates still has $60 signup credit, which offsets most of the first year annual fee. I never considered doing it on the phone.
I had to agree to paying the annual fee because my AS miles had expired (yes, dumb of me to try flying other carriers in last 2 years) and I was either to pay $75 to reinstate them, or they would waive if I got the card. I was sitting on a paper offer I had received at home anyways, so I bit the bullet.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
With CIBC Aerogold vs. Aerogold Elite, there's a clear disclaimer in there that CIBC can choose to send you the Elite version even if you did not apply for it

I think the whole motive is that banks/providers get higher % commission for Elite cards vs. non-Elite

Let us know what MBNA sends you
Is there an annual fee difference between the two Aerogold cards? That's why I don't think I should receive the Elite, because there is a difference in the AF, and I listened to the recording (and sales rep) state that the fee was $75, and to be honest, I didn't even know the Elite existed until I read about it on here.

I will! I expect the card in about 1-2 weeks.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:23 pm

The CIBC Aerogold and CIBC Aerogold Infinite both have annual fees of $120

I don't know where you got the idea that the annual fees are different but the MBNA Alaska Airlines Platinum Plus and the MBNA Alaska Airlines World Elite both have annual fees of $75.

MBNA as a whole does not charge different annual fees between Platinum Plus and World cards, merely charging merchants higher fees. See: Smart Cash PP vs World (both no AF), Rewards Travel Plat and Rewards World Elite (both $89 or no AF, depending if you apply today or have it grandfathered).
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:43 pm

The CIBC Aerogold and CIBC Aerogold Infinite both have annual fees of $120

I don't know where you got the idea that the annual fees are different but the MBNA Alaska Airlines Platinum Plus and the MBNA Alaska Airlines World Elite both have annual fees of $75.

MBNA as a whole does not charge different annual fees between Platinum Plus and World cards, merely charging merchants higher fees. See: Smart Cash PP vs World (both no AF), Rewards Travel Plat and Rewards World Elite (both $89 or no AF, depending if you apply today or have it grandfathered).
Ahh that makes sense. I was comparing the $75 vs. $89. My bad.

I'll probably receive the elite. My paper app (addressed to me) states that when I apply, I will be "automatically considered for it".
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:26 am

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

when applying online the app clearly says that by applying for the AS MasterCard you are applying for either the normal or elite version
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:12 pm

I talked to someone again on the phone and it appears that I will be receiving the Elite. Next time I need to check into these things before providing info! At least I will be generating points faster right off the bat.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:57 pm

Both the World Elite and Plat Plus get 1 mile per dollar spent. No benefit to the World, except it's black and shiny.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:48 am

Any recent experience with retention offers when calling in to cancel?

I've been waiting months for an Elite offer to pop up on my account site to no avail, so my card has been seeing very little use lately after being my primary card for a couple years.

Could a rep potentially upgrade me to Elite if it meant keeping a customer?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by YYZC2
Any recent experience with retention offers when calling in to cancel?

I've been waiting months for an Elite offer to pop up on my account site to no avail, so my card has been seeing very little use lately after being my primary card for a couple years.

Could a rep potentially upgrade me to Elite if it meant keeping a customer?
I cancelled my Elite last month (I said I don't want to pay annual fee)
Only offer is to transfer to other no-fee MBNA cards like Rewards, I declined
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:55 pm

My shiny black Elite card came in the mail the other day!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I'm trying to apply for this card online, and I can't proceed without ticking the box that says

YES! Protect my account with the optional MBNA CreditWiseŽ plan,
for up to 6 different benefits and a maximum policy coverage of $30,000! By checking this box, I also consent to receiving the CreditWise terms and conditions and the Distribution Guide (for Quebec residents only) in electronic form on this website.
But I don't want the optional insurance! What am I missing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.