Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

anyone confirm ? AS 17 FA detains passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT

http://blog.reifman.org/2012/02/alas...igiplayer.html

Flying in from Miami to Seattle this morning on Alaska Airlines Flight #17, I was somewhat amused (and a bit horrified) when the stewardess said that the cabin doors would not be opened and that passengers would not be allowed off to catch connecting flights if the last video player (digiplayer, as she calls them) was not returned. Partly, I'm amused because of the ridiculousness of the threat vs. the magnitude of the crime but also I have to wonder if this is against FAA regulations.

I also have a brilliant tip for Alaska - when you rent a digiplayer, note down the seat #. Threatening to detain all your passengers over transgressions by other flyers is about the dumbest thing you can do for customer loyalty.

And all those early morning announcements asking people to return their digiplayers are kind of annoying.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
you mean a flight attendant? Yes, it would be nice if they had a tracking system to know who returned the digi player but it may be too much of a time or technical issue. The sad thing is, I'm sure most people don't hear the initial announcements because they have headphones on or are in the bathroom or sleeping. I'm sure there is the occasional person who thinks they can get away with stealing a digi player so sometimes the F/A's may have to be a little more forcefull in their message to return them.

I agree though, there has to be a better accounting of the players so there are less announcements toward the end of the flight.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:46 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Ive heard the same threat on board before
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
It seems like a simple seating chart on an 8x11 sheet of paper where the FA could put an "X" or something over the seat location would suffice.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: AS MVP
FA could just exchange your boarding pass for the digi player - and near the end of the flight, exchange back.

And no one - and I do mean, no one - should be making even the mildest 'joking' threat on aircraft.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH/SPG Peonium, Natl, Bud, Oregon Wines on Broadway Wineaux
See this comment:
http://blog.reifman.org/2012/02/alas...6762d144ba970b
Old Feb 24, 2012, 5:34 pm

Good response from the Alaska Airlines spokesperson. ^
Old Feb 26, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by Mariby
FA could just exchange your boarding pass for the digi player - and near the end of the flight, exchange back.
Unless of course you used an electronic boarding pass. Would they require you hand over your cell phone?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
So what is the official policy when a Digiplayer goes missing? I had this on an KOA flight not too long ago; they kept saying "folks, we still have ONE digiplayer that still hasn't been returned; if its your please return it right away." Last announcement was just a couple minutes before landing, and I never heard if they got it back or not.

Wonder how many go missing per day/week/month?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
Unless of course you used an electronic boarding pass. Would they require you hand over your cell phone?
Actually the blog post that PetePDX referenced after my first comment was an Alaska spokesperson stating that FA's training is to note the seat number of passengers renting digiplayers and that this step was not followed on this flight. The spokesperson also noted that they would be following up with the flight crew to make sure that Alaska procedures were followed in the future. And so I posted a follow up comment that it was a good response from Alaska.

Therefore, if the FA's follow procedure by noting seat numbers for renting digiplayers, it's a non-issue. At least from the passengers standpoint.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
A boarding pass isn't important enough collateral to secure a digiplayer. I'd suggest a Driver's License, but ugh, can you imagine the hell to pay when the first DL gets misplaced?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by 98103
A boarding pass isn't important enough collateral to secure a digiplayer. I'd suggest a Driver's License, but ugh, can you imagine the hell to pay when the first DL gets misplaced?
Agreed. Perhaps that's why it's Alaska's stated policy to take down seat numbers when digiplayers are given out. And I have been on flights where this is exactly what happened.

So if FA's follow Alaska's own policy of taking down seat numbers for digiplayers is followed, there is no need to make any announcements about missing digiplayers.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mariby
So if FA's follow Alaska's own policy of taking down seat numbers for digiplayers is followed, there is no need to make any announcements about missing digiplayers.
Actually, Alaska FA's always take the seat number down. You have to. When you rent the player it requires that you put the seat number in before you can finish the transaction. The problem is on the back end when they're picking them up. The FA's are supposed to walk through with the credit card machine and click on each player as it's being picked up. That's what doesn't happen. Generally speaking, FA's just go through the cabin and pick them up and pay no attention to whom they are picking them up from. In my experience, the remaining DigEplayers are often in the First Class cabin. Because they are complimentary in FC, they aren't recorded - just handed out. You would think, because of the small number of them up there, they'd be easier to keep track of but it often times doesn't turn out that way.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:50 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Because they are complimentary in FC, they aren't recorded - just handed out. You would think, because of the small number of them up there, they'd be easier to keep track of but it often times doesn't turn out that way.
Most times when Ive heard them say there is one missing it is indeed in F and completely unintentional in nature. Im guilty of this . They offered the player I took it in case I wanted it later. sat in my seat along the armrest, ate, fell asleep, woke up for descent as they prepped the cabin for landing. All the sudden the F FA said um guys we are still missing a player up here. Then I thought oh must be me
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
In my experience, the remaining DigEplayers are often in the First Class cabin. Because they are complimentary in FC, they aren't recorded - just handed out. You would think, because of the small number of them up there, they'd be easier to keep track of but it often times doesn't turn out that way.
They are also complimentary to 75K's sitting in the coach cabin, so could that be exacerbating this situation?

(Solution: all 75K's up front! )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.