Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

TSA Pre✓™ (PreCheck) on Alaska Airlines - Questions and Experiences (2012-21)

Old Nov 22, 2012, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
PreCheck FAQ:

What is PreCheck?

TSA Pre✓™ allows select frequent flyers of participating airlines, members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs, or randomly selected passengers to receive expedited screening benefits during domestic travel. Eligible participants use dedicated screening lanes for screening benefits which include leaving on shoes, light outerwear and belts, as well as leaving laptops and 3-1-1 compliant liquids in carry-on bags. (from http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-pre%E2%9C%93%E2%84%A2)

What do I need to do to enroll in PreCheck?

There are two ways to enroll in PreCheck:

1. Be invited by Alaska Airlines, or
2. Sign up for a Trusted Traveler program

At this time, Alaska appears to have only invited a limited number of MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K flyers to use PreCheck. Anyone can sign up for a Trusted Traveler program, though.

See the Alaska Airlines PreCheck FAQ page for good, detailed information on how to ensure you are set to receive PreCheck benefits.

If you are relying on a Trusted Traveler program membership to grant PreCheck access, be sure your name in your "Personal Information" in your "Traveler Profile" (as specified in the link above) is an exact match with what is displayed in your online GOES profile. If it is not, then either contact Alaska to have your profile's name edited, or be sure to edit your SecureFlight data each time you book a new reservation so that your name is an exact match with your GOES profile. A mismatch is very likely to prevent you from being selected for PreCheck.

It is also possible that you have been randomly selected for PreCheck.

If you are randomly selected, you'll see the PreCheck logo displayed on your paper or mobile boarding pass. You'll have all the benefits of PreCheck status for that flight and can use the PreCheck lane in your city of departure.

Should I opt-in with AS or sign up for a Trusted Traveler program?

Opting in with AS is free.

The Trusted Traveler programs have an associated membership fee and interview process but grant additional benefits for international travelers Global Entry is $100 for a five-year membership, requires an interview at one of several enrollment centers across the US, and allows expedited re-entry into the U.S. NEXUS is $50 for a five-year membership, includes a complimentary Global Entry membership, requires an interview at one of a handful of selected enrollment centers near the Canadian border, and allows access to expedited lanes when crossing into Canada or the U.S. at a land crossing. SENTRI is similar to NEXUS but works for the Mexican border instead. Once you receive your approval letter, the numbers on the letter are your TSA PreCheck number. When scheduling your interview, it does not have to be the nearest center - so keep this in mind and consider your travels.

Reports are that those using a Trusted Traveler membership program tend to have higher PreCheck selection rates than those who simply opt in through AS. It's possible that elites who have opted in and provide a Known Traveler program number have the highest selection rates of all, although no method guarantees 100% selection for PreCheck.

How to Add Your PASSID to Existing Reservations

If you receive approval for PreCheck via Global Entry, Nexus or another Trusted Traveler program you will receive a card which (typically on the back) contains a PASSID number. For already existing AS reservations, go to the "My Trips" section of the Alaska website. Under each reservation, go to the "Traveler Information" section. On the right side is "Traveler Documentation." Click on the "Enter Required Documentation" link and select the traveler on the itinerary (if there is more than one traveler). Click the "Continue" button and then click on the "Enter Known Traveler/Redress Number" link. In the box for "Known Traveler Number" enter the PASSID that has been assigned. Click the "Continue" button and repeat as necessary until all the existing reservations have been populated with the PASSID.

What airports does AS participate in PreCheck?

See the map on TSA's site or download the PDF guide from TSA's site. Also note, though, if:

a) You are flying on AS, and
b) You have opted in to PreCheck, and
c) the airport has a PreCheck checkpoint (shown on the map or PDF), and
d) TSA doesn't randomly decide to deny you (hopefully not),

then (assuming you qualify for and have opted in to PreCheck) you will receive a PreCheck-enabled BP. Unless the PreCheck checkpoint leads to a concourse that is not attached to the concourse containing your departure gate, you can use PreCheck at that airport. It does not matter if TSA's map or PDF guide do not specify that Alaska participates at that particular airport.

Some airports have a version of PreCheck referred to as "PreCheck Lite." Those airports (either due to space or staffing limitations) modify the benefits of PreCheck --- you may need to remove your laptop and/or remove your liquids. Keep an eye out for signage in the PreCheck lane to see if modifications have been made to PreCheck at your departure airport. You may be able to leave your shoes on (unless they have metal shanks that will alarm) and you may be able to leave light coats and sweaters on.

Here is a list of airports and checkpoint locations confirmed by FlyerTalkers to work for AS flyers:

• ANC (main [B/C] checkpoint)
  • ATL (south checkpoint)
  • AUS (central checkpoint to the left of the AS check-in counter)
  • BLI (see post 1450 re removal of liquids)
  • BNA (north checkpoint for concourses A/B)
  • BOI (all passengers use one checkpoint)
  • BOS (The C40-C42 area that AS now uses only has PreCheck Lite)
  • BWI (C checkpoint, although A checkpoint also has it and it operates consistently throughout the day)
  • BZN (single checkpoint, right side)
  • DCA (south pier)
  • DEN (both north and south checkpoints)
  • DFW (Terminal E, near gate E15)
  • EAT (PreCheck Lite at the only checkpoint)
  • EUG (PreCheck Lite only)
  • EWR (Terminal A3) Confirmed full-scale PreCheck, at least for the morning flight
  • FAI (PreCheck Lite only)
  • FLL (terminal 1, concourse C--open late afternoon to accommodate AS #33)
  • GEG (Terminal C, left side of existing checkpoint, sporadic hours - see post 1403 for times)
  • HNL (checkpoint 5-between Delta and United, lobbies 7 and 8)
  • JNU (common upstairs checkpoint) PreCheck Lite.
  • KOA Gate 7 - (AS) PreCheck Lite for the 11:55PM Redeye. Also had PreCheck Lite for the 3:00 ish flight to OAK.
  • LAS (Terminal 3 (AS) next to F/elite line, Terminal 1 (AA/DL))
  • LAX (T6 [where Alaska departs from]; it is also possible to use the PreCheck checkpoint in T4 [American], T5 [Delta], or T7 [United]; all are connected behind security)
  • MCI (PreCheck Lite)
  • MCO (Far side of terminal away from AS baggage claim/checkin counters)
  • MFR (only one checkpoint in airport) PreCheck Lite. (Note: checkpoint completely closes at certain hours of the day. Very small airport.)
  • MRY (PreCheck Lite)
  • MSY (Concourse C)
  • OAK (far right side, along exit pathway, well signed)
  • OGG (right side as walking from AS check-in area)
  • ORD (terminal 3, checkpoint 8)
  • PDX (A/B/C checkpoint; PreCheck lane closes in evening, can use D/E PreCheck lane and airside walkway connector back to A/B/C)
  • PHL (D/E checkpoint has TSA Pre✓; Pre✓ also typically available at B [far side of AA counters from AS gates] but not C [near side of AA counters]; all of PHL is connected behind security)
  • PHX (First class TSA entrance in Terminal 2 is now for precheck and first)
  • PSC (PreCheck Lite available at the central, and only, checkpoint)
  • PSP (Left side of the TSA entry point. Note, they also send a lot of wheelchairs through there, so not always faster than the premium line.)
  • RDU (Terminal 2)
  • SAN (Terminal 1, far left lane)
  • SEA (south checkpoint 2, central checkpoint 3 [the one leading to the central food court] and north checkpoint 5)
  • SFO (International Terminal, A pier): enter at the center, the line dragon will point you to a separate line to the left if you have PreCheck on your boarding pass. Normal PreCheck.
  • SIT (Central checkpoint, Gate 1: PreCheck Lite)
  • SJC (terminal B)
  • SLC (use Terminal 2 checkpoint, All connected airside)
  • SMF (far left, terminals A and B)
  • SNA (terminal 1, lane 1)
  • STL (Alaska Terminal & Checkpoint, Right side)
  • TPA (Airside A)

Others listed on TSA's site as PreCheck airports but that FlyerTalkers have not verified. If you are familiar with any of these, please edit this wiki and move them to the above category!

-IAH (terminal C south)
-LIH (main terminal)
-MSP (checkpoint 4)

Links to other PreCheck-related threads on FlyerTalk
Airports with no Pre whatsoever:

GST
Print Wikipost

TSA Pre✓™ (PreCheck) on Alaska Airlines - Questions and Experiences (2012-21)

Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
This Pre Check program has kind of a creepy vibe to it. Easy to sign up and they are already tracking our movements. Where's David Duchovny when you need him.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:33 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by Jeeves
This Pre Check program has kind of a creepy vibe to it. Easy to sign up and they are already tracking our movements. Where's David Duchovny when you need him.
They can already do that with Secure Flight. At least with PreCheck I get something tangible in return.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
I have my global entry card and I fly out of seatac on AA usually.

The times article says its also for people with global entry. What do you think? I would think that it comes down to AA giving the barcode.

I have used the precheck with AA in DFW and MIA. It's nice. I would gladly go though that security I usually do anyways when I go to the board room.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Testing started in SeaTac

This morning, I was in the priority security line at SeaTac and when the TSA agent scanned my boarding pass, the machine double beeped.
He then told me that I'm eligible for PreCheck and can start using it from next week.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA 1MM. Former UA 1K, AA Exec Plat
I'm a UA 1K and an AS MVPG, and I have both Global Entry and NEXUS. Can I use this on any flight out of SEA on either UA or AS? Will both airlines support me adding my [can't remember what it's called] code to my reservations?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by seaflyguy
I'm a UA 1K and an AS MVPG, and I have both Global Entry and NEXUS. Can I use this on any flight out of SEA on either UA or AS? Will both airlines support me adding my [can't remember what it's called] code to my reservations?
Go into your web portal with the participating airline. It will want you to add your PASSID to the profile. Once it is in, you should be all set.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:38 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Profile input of PASS ID is supported by AS, AA, DL, UA and US.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA 1MM. Former UA 1K, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Go into your web portal with the participating airline. It will want you to add your PASSID to the profile. Once it is in, you should be all set.
Awesome, thanks. All done. Now I just need for Pre Check to spread like... well, something good that spreads. Nutella?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by seaflyguy
You will if/when UA supports PreCheck at SEA. You will be eligible to use it on AS as soon as it opens.

To use PreCheck, you have to qualify, and the airline has to support it at that airport.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by meballard
You will if/when UA supports PreCheck at SEA.
From the sound of it on the UA side, pigs may fly before UA is up and running. Better book with AS
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Maybe no one yet knows the answer - say I'm traveling XXX/SEA/XXX with a long SEA connection, and want to leave the airport. Will my BP be eligible, or need a SEA-reissue?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Maybe no one yet knows the answer - say I'm traveling XXX/SEA/XXX with a long SEA connection, and want to leave the airport. Will my BP be eligible, or need a SEA-reissue?
It should be readable at SEA and double beep for PreCheck even if it's printed at another station. Whatever status you are using to get PreCheck (MVP 75K, NEXUS, GE, etc.) will be encoded in the bar code because all airports are moving to the same bar code reader system at the TSA.

Also remember - not everyone who is PreCheck eligible will receive PreCheck benefits for every flight. Even if you're eligible and your bar code says so the machine may not grant you PreCheck. Or the TSA agent may not...

-RM
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by u2g0d
This morning, I was in the priority security line at SeaTac and when the TSA agent scanned my boarding pass, the machine double beeped.
He then told me that I'm eligible for PreCheck and can start using it from next week.
Same exact for me this morning as well. I went through security at 11am and the guy behind me was asking a bunch of questions about PreCheck. I wonder if that was you

-RM
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: AA 2MM, DL D360
I went through security at the C/D gates this morning (by the way, the BKSX machine to the far right is down for maintenance, woo hoo!). I am flying AA today to JFK and wasn't sure if the PreCheck thing would work since American only has three gates at SEA, but sure enough my boarding pass triggered the guy to pull his chart out and add a tick mark to it. I'm happy about this even though it means I'll have to go through security at the D/N gate checkpoint for an AA flight, which means a long walk back the other way - but it's still worth it to avoid the rest of the carnival!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: AA 2MM, DL D360
Oh, I should add: I am Pre-Checked for both AA and AS. Don't mean to imply that AA recognizes AS' pre-check (wish it were that simple!).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.