Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

TSA Pre✓™ (PreCheck) on Alaska Airlines - Questions and Experiences (2012-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
PreCheck FAQ:

What is PreCheck?

TSA Pre✓™ allows select frequent flyers of participating airlines, members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs, or randomly selected passengers to receive expedited screening benefits during domestic travel. Eligible participants use dedicated screening lanes for screening benefits which include leaving on shoes, light outerwear and belts, as well as leaving laptops and 3-1-1 compliant liquids in carry-on bags. (from http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-pre%E2%9C%93%E2%84%A2)

What do I need to do to enroll in PreCheck?

There are two ways to enroll in PreCheck:

1. Be invited by Alaska Airlines, or
2. Sign up for a Trusted Traveler program

At this time, Alaska appears to have only invited a limited number of MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K flyers to use PreCheck. Anyone can sign up for a Trusted Traveler program, though.

See the Alaska Airlines PreCheck FAQ page for good, detailed information on how to ensure you are set to receive PreCheck benefits.

If you are relying on a Trusted Traveler program membership to grant PreCheck access, be sure your name in your "Personal Information" in your "Traveler Profile" (as specified in the link above) is an exact match with what is displayed in your online GOES profile. If it is not, then either contact Alaska to have your profile's name edited, or be sure to edit your SecureFlight data each time you book a new reservation so that your name is an exact match with your GOES profile. A mismatch is very likely to prevent you from being selected for PreCheck.

It is also possible that you have been randomly selected for PreCheck.

If you are randomly selected, you'll see the PreCheck logo displayed on your paper or mobile boarding pass. You'll have all the benefits of PreCheck status for that flight and can use the PreCheck lane in your city of departure.

Should I opt-in with AS or sign up for a Trusted Traveler program?

Opting in with AS is free.

The Trusted Traveler programs have an associated membership fee and interview process but grant additional benefits for international travelers Global Entry is $100 for a five-year membership, requires an interview at one of several enrollment centers across the US, and allows expedited re-entry into the U.S. NEXUS is $50 for a five-year membership, includes a complimentary Global Entry membership, requires an interview at one of a handful of selected enrollment centers near the Canadian border, and allows access to expedited lanes when crossing into Canada or the U.S. at a land crossing. SENTRI is similar to NEXUS but works for the Mexican border instead. Once you receive your approval letter, the numbers on the letter are your TSA PreCheck number. When scheduling your interview, it does not have to be the nearest center - so keep this in mind and consider your travels.

Reports are that those using a Trusted Traveler membership program tend to have higher PreCheck selection rates than those who simply opt in through AS. It's possible that elites who have opted in and provide a Known Traveler program number have the highest selection rates of all, although no method guarantees 100% selection for PreCheck.

How to Add Your PASSID to Existing Reservations

If you receive approval for PreCheck via Global Entry, Nexus or another Trusted Traveler program you will receive a card which (typically on the back) contains a PASSID number. For already existing AS reservations, go to the "My Trips" section of the Alaska website. Under each reservation, go to the "Traveler Information" section. On the right side is "Traveler Documentation." Click on the "Enter Required Documentation" link and select the traveler on the itinerary (if there is more than one traveler). Click the "Continue" button and then click on the "Enter Known Traveler/Redress Number" link. In the box for "Known Traveler Number" enter the PASSID that has been assigned. Click the "Continue" button and repeat as necessary until all the existing reservations have been populated with the PASSID.

What airports does AS participate in PreCheck?

See the map on TSA's site or download the PDF guide from TSA's site. Also note, though, if:

a) You are flying on AS, and
b) You have opted in to PreCheck, and
c) the airport has a PreCheck checkpoint (shown on the map or PDF), and
d) TSA doesn't randomly decide to deny you (hopefully not),

then (assuming you qualify for and have opted in to PreCheck) you will receive a PreCheck-enabled BP. Unless the PreCheck checkpoint leads to a concourse that is not attached to the concourse containing your departure gate, you can use PreCheck at that airport. It does not matter if TSA's map or PDF guide do not specify that Alaska participates at that particular airport.

Some airports have a version of PreCheck referred to as "PreCheck Lite." Those airports (either due to space or staffing limitations) modify the benefits of PreCheck --- you may need to remove your laptop and/or remove your liquids. Keep an eye out for signage in the PreCheck lane to see if modifications have been made to PreCheck at your departure airport. You may be able to leave your shoes on (unless they have metal shanks that will alarm) and you may be able to leave light coats and sweaters on.

Here is a list of airports and checkpoint locations confirmed by FlyerTalkers to work for AS flyers:

• ANC (main [B/C] checkpoint)
  • ATL (south checkpoint)
  • AUS (central checkpoint to the left of the AS check-in counter)
  • BLI (see post 1450 re removal of liquids)
  • BNA (north checkpoint for concourses A/B)
  • BOI (all passengers use one checkpoint)
  • BOS (The C40-C42 area that AS now uses only has PreCheck Lite)
  • BWI (C checkpoint, although A checkpoint also has it and it operates consistently throughout the day)
  • BZN (single checkpoint, right side)
  • DCA (south pier)
  • DEN (both north and south checkpoints)
  • DFW (Terminal E, near gate E15)
  • EAT (PreCheck Lite at the only checkpoint)
  • EUG (PreCheck Lite only)
  • EWR (Terminal A3) Confirmed full-scale PreCheck, at least for the morning flight
  • FAI (PreCheck Lite only)
  • FLL (terminal 1, concourse C--open late afternoon to accommodate AS #33)
  • GEG (Terminal C, left side of existing checkpoint, sporadic hours - see post 1403 for times)
  • HNL (checkpoint 5-between Delta and United, lobbies 7 and 8)
  • JNU (common upstairs checkpoint) PreCheck Lite.
  • KOA Gate 7 - (AS) PreCheck Lite for the 11:55PM Redeye. Also had PreCheck Lite for the 3:00 ish flight to OAK.
  • LAS (Terminal 3 (AS) next to F/elite line, Terminal 1 (AA/DL))
  • LAX (T6 [where Alaska departs from]; it is also possible to use the PreCheck checkpoint in T4 [American], T5 [Delta], or T7 [United]; all are connected behind security)
  • MCI (PreCheck Lite)
  • MCO (Far side of terminal away from AS baggage claim/checkin counters)
  • MFR (only one checkpoint in airport) PreCheck Lite. (Note: checkpoint completely closes at certain hours of the day. Very small airport.)
  • MRY (PreCheck Lite)
  • MSY (Concourse C)
  • OAK (far right side, along exit pathway, well signed)
  • OGG (right side as walking from AS check-in area)
  • ORD (terminal 3, checkpoint 8)
  • PDX (A/B/C checkpoint; PreCheck lane closes in evening, can use D/E PreCheck lane and airside walkway connector back to A/B/C)
  • PHL (D/E checkpoint has TSA Pre✓; Pre✓ also typically available at B [far side of AA counters from AS gates] but not C [near side of AA counters]; all of PHL is connected behind security)
  • PHX (First class TSA entrance in Terminal 2 is now for precheck and first)
  • PSC (PreCheck Lite available at the central, and only, checkpoint)
  • PSP (Left side of the TSA entry point. Note, they also send a lot of wheelchairs through there, so not always faster than the premium line.)
  • RDU (Terminal 2)
  • SAN (Terminal 1, far left lane)
  • SEA (south checkpoint 2, central checkpoint 3 [the one leading to the central food court] and north checkpoint 5)
  • SFO (International Terminal, A pier): enter at the center, the line dragon will point you to a separate line to the left if you have PreCheck on your boarding pass. Normal PreCheck.
  • SIT (Central checkpoint, Gate 1: PreCheck Lite)
  • SJC (terminal B)
  • SLC (use Terminal 2 checkpoint, All connected airside)
  • SMF (far left, terminals A and B)
  • SNA (terminal 1, lane 1)
  • STL (Alaska Terminal & Checkpoint, Right side)
  • TPA (Airside A)

Others listed on TSA's site as PreCheck airports but that FlyerTalkers have not verified. If you are familiar with any of these, please edit this wiki and move them to the above category!

-IAH (terminal C south)
-LIH (main terminal)
-MSP (checkpoint 4)

Links to other PreCheck-related threads on FlyerTalk
Airports with no Pre whatsoever:

GST
Print Wikipost

TSA Pre✓™ (PreCheck) on Alaska Airlines - Questions and Experiences (2012-21)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Pre @ ANC last night was a bit of a zoo...seemed a lot of folks were filtered over. Not sure why- but created 1-2 minute delay.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:46 pm

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this question but my fiancι and I are both at LAX after flying Cathay Pacific from HKG on an American award ticket. We have a connection on the same ticket home. Our AA accounts have our known traveler IDs. However the boarding pass from Cathay from HKG didn't show precheck. I'm not sure if this was due to Alaska not having our known traveler ID, the fact that we were coming from an international flight, that BPs printed in HKG can't print precheck, or something else. Hoping to know for future use. Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by terpfan101
Not sure if this is the correct thread for this question but my fiancι and I are both at LAX after flying Cathay Pacific from HKG on an American award ticket. We have a connection on the same ticket home. Our AA accounts have our known traveler IDs. However the boarding pass from Cathay from HKG didn't show precheck. I'm not sure if this was due to Alaska not having our known traveler ID, the fact that we were coming from an international flight, that BPs printed in HKG can't print precheck, or something else. Hoping to know for future use. Thanks!
The CX BPs aren't capable of printing PreCheck or encoding the barcode. You should have picked up new boarding passes once you cleared customs at LAX.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Only precheck participating airlines are set up to encode with precheck data on BP. The only internationally based carrier at this point is Air Canada
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

GST had Zero precheck/lite or anything.

I even was randomly selected for a massage
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by beckoa

Pre @ ANC last night was a bit of a zoo...seemed a lot of folks were filtered over. Not sure why- but created 1-2 minute delay.
Same problem at ANC on 7/31 @ ~11pm: once past the BP screen, non-precheck folks were in the line too. We didn't have to remove anything -- but I'm not sure why they were there. Instead of a 1-2 minute process, it took 3-4, b/c of a family with kids.

That said, Pre at LAX worked just fine; both Mrs CO FF & I have GE and AA status, but no AS status -- but both our AS BPs had pre on them.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by beckoa

FWIW, I think saw an article recently that indicated the TSA was going to revert back to using Pre-Check for *actual* pre-authorized Pre-Check passengers -- and cease the practice of randomly shunting kettles through the fast-track lines.

Did anyone else see that news blip -- or did I simply hallucinate it out of wishful thinking during a transient episode of jet-lagged induced delirium?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
FWIW, I think saw an article recently that indicated the TSA was going to revert back to using Pre-Check for *actual* pre-authorized Pre-Check passengers -- and cease the practice of randomly shunting kettles through the fast-track lines.

Did anyone else see that news blip -- or did I simply hallucinate it out of wishful thinking during a transient episode of jet-lagged induced delirium?
TSA Chief Pistole did an interview with the NY Times earlier this week and confirmed it. Unless you have paid or been invited as an elite, you will no longer get to use the line. He did not say when that will start however.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle

I saw and rejoiced about several articles about this! You are not alone in rejoicing about no longer being behind the inept, clueless, traveller that take inordinate amounts of time to get through what should be quick, simple and fast security lanes.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOB W
TSA Chief Pistole did an interview with the NY Times earlier this week and confirmed it. Unless you have paid or been invited as an elite, you will no longer get to use the line. He did not say when that will start however.
The other problem is full body scanning will become commonplace in the pre-check lines and not just for those with implants as Pistole suggests.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
This is fantastic news, although I'm sure it's going to take a while to reverse the course of the TSA ship. I don't see them reacting very quickly to this.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by CDKing
The other problem is full body scanning will become commonplace in the pre-check lines and not just for those with implants as Pistole suggests.
Why do you say that it will happen? I haven't seen any evidence of that, and taking into account historical evidence it's certainly possible, but there's not guarantee at this point. Some people with PreCheck actually do want the full body scan, and if it's a significant enough percentage it may actually be the TSA responding appropriately.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

Hope that is the case. Also there will probably be enough people in the pre check line at many airports since they are advertising it everywhere and have sign up offices at several airports I have seen.

Hell Delta was advertising it on their IFE yesterday.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by meballard
Why do you say that it will happen? I haven't seen any evidence of that, and taking into account historical evidence it's certainly possible, but there's not guarantee at this point. Some people with PreCheck actually do want the full body scan, and if it's a significant enough percentage it may actually be the TSA responding appropriately.
It will its already happening at 3 airports that I know of JFK @ AA terminal and LAS & LAX @ UA terminal. Instead of the random handswab, its a radom body scan but you get to keep your shoes on in the scanner.

Please read the wiki in the following thread for another example at PDX

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...tings-tsa.html

Ive been saying since day 1 that the non pre-check screening will become the pre-check screening and an even more enhanced check for those who are not Pre
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:00 pm

Ugh if pre is required to use the NOS...I'd be SOL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.