Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Agreed. As one that pays for KVS, EF, and AN, I'm through with freeloaders that won't invest in their awards. I respect the budgets of others, but I'm sick of being taken advantage of. Prove to me you're willing to do battle for your reward, and I'll be your greatest ally. Until then, bugger off and by all means, relay on seatmaps!!!! So accurate!!

Ps - not at all directed at "reverted".
I had a paid membership for a couple of months, but cancelled after making my redemptions because I figured I could check award availability for CX via JAL.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
I had a paid membership for a couple of months, but cancelled after making my redemptions because I figured I could check award availability for CX via JAL.
Clearly time to renew. If you take the battle seriously, that is.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Red259
Is there a way to check how many seats are open on a CX flight on a given day? I want to fly Hong Kong to NYC in F (ideally leaving in the evening) on July 7, 2017. At the moment there are no award seats open for this flight. I know CX tends to open up awards again close in, but I'm just wondering how open these particular flights still are, because if there is a really strong chance of the seats opening up I will rework my schedule so I can take this flight and it would save me some hassle trying to cancel tickets at the last minute etc.
Assuming CX doesn't oversell F, there are at least 4 F seats for sale doing a dummy revenue reservation for 7/7 on CX website
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:18 am

Does anyone have any experience modifying the return leg of the trip once the trip has already began? Can this even be done?

I also assume it would be one change fee if you changed both legs (before the trip begins)?

Thank you.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by jayoxd
Does anyone have any experience modifying the return leg of the trip once the trip has already began? Can this even be done?

I also assume it would be one change fee if you changed both legs (before the trip begins)?

Thank you.
Officially, people have been told it's not allowed. In reality, some of us have been successful changing a return leg while on layover. Possibly there's more accommodation for better customers, i.e. 75K told yes, mileage buyer who has never flown AS told no.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Officially, people have been told it's not allowed. In reality, some of us have been successful changing a return leg while on layover. Possibly there's more accommodation for better customers, i.e. 75K told yes, mileage buyer who has never flown AS told no.
Not what I wanted to hear but thank you for the input. Hopefully I snag the dates I want before the trip then...
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Derrico
Just a data point. I followed the wiki comment that suggested that changes to award availability were often made on Monday 9:30AM Hong Kong time. I had some doubt about this, but indeed between 35 and 36 minutes after the hour first class seats dumped in for multiple days for the 14 day-out period.
It worked!!! I'd almost given up. Checking every day and then waiting for the 9:30am Monday morning timeframe. Well it came and went and no new seats opened up. Then I was just about to give up and settle for the Business class seats we had. Right before turning in for the night I checked the Asiamiles site one more time and it showed 2 seats. Then quickly went onto BA site to see and it also said 2 seats. Called AS and they were able to change us onto the slightly earlier SFO - HKG confirmed in F. Wasn't charged a change fee (I thought I'd have to pay 1 for my husband since he's only MVP but they didn't charge either of us, guessing cause mikes were used out of my MVPG account. Just deducted any additional 20k miles per person and refunded about $67 in taxes).

So so excited about this!!!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by reverted
If you ever decide to get the Premium membership, I have found it useful in looking at flight loads. I have a HKG-LAX flight 1 in F and 1 in J. It's been F5 A5 on EF for awhile now and I have an alert set up for when F or A drops <5. Granted, EF won't alert you of an award seat opening, but it's still nice being in the know.
I signed up for the free trial and set an alert, as described above, and it worked like a charm within 24 hours when the seat count dropped and sure enough an award seat opened up this morning

Seems like EF is a no brainer if you really want to be in the game, like jamienbaker said.

Thanks all.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by jayoxd

Thank you.

I book outbound and return legs separately. That's one way to ensure you can change after you've left. Granted, I'm 75K so the change fee and other charges are very generous to me or anyone I'm booking for out of my mileage account.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: AS GOLD
I have been using JL to search availability. Found seats but AS agent cannot see it. Asked to search section by section. Still yield no result.

Been HUACA for the last 3 days. lol...

Looking for SIN-HKG-LAX Feb 25th All in Frist class.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by SESTAR
I have been using JL to search availability. Found seats but AS agent cannot see it. Asked to search section by section. Still yield no result.

Been HUACA for the last 3 days. lol...

Looking for SIN-HKG-LAX Feb 25th All in Frist class.
BA.com does show 1 seat for HKG-LAX on two different flights for that date. I know you asked them to look section by section, did you try calling and asking to just book HKG-LAX, then if successful add SIN-HKG? Also I think I remember somebody saying that sometimes when other partners show 1 then AS shows 0, only if other partners who >1 will AS see the space. Good luck!!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
also ask them to do a long sell...

most agents reluctant to do this, might have to huaca a few times.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:32 pm

Regarding the flight alert on EF, if you're looking for Business, do you have to set it on < # for J, C, D, and I? They all appear to be Biz class. Or is an alert on < # of J seats good enough to see that something has changed an award has possibly opened up?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
HKG-JNB showed 1 J award to OW partners, I was still able to snag it through AS, against the '1 less' phenomenon. (Part of an ORD-HKG-JNB F award). Downside being unable to waive the $15 booking fee even after HUACA twice and requesting supervisor clarification.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
HKG-JNB showed 1 J award to OW partners, I was still able to snag it through AS, against the '1 less' phenomenon. (Part of an ORD-HKG-JNB F award). Downside being unable to waive the $15 booking fee even after HUACA twice and requesting supervisor clarification.
In the past AA never waived telephone booking fee unless for EXP even 70% of its partners not bookable online. It finally changed this policy about 18 to 24 months ago. Though at the beginning one still had to remind the AAgents to not charge the fee as its system (to this date I believe) still default to check the box for charging fee. The agent has to manually uncheck it.

Hence no surprise AS would not waive the phone booking fee even CX is not bookable online.

HKG-US routes are where the "1 less" notion comes from. CX may have different treatments on different routes. I imagine the HKG-US routes have much higher demand than HKG-JNB route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.