Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old May 24, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It's hard to figure out because the AS award pages on the website were (re)designed so poorly, but Cathay Pacific isn't being discussed. There are no blackout dates on CX awards. Note that carriers are being discussed in alphabetical order.

It's hard to tell which airline IS being discussed. Probably KE (they have about a third of the year blacked out), maybe EK?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 24, 2017 at 9:23 am
Old May 24, 2017, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by xacutti
Hey folks

Apologies if this is already answered. Did a quick search but didn't find a definitive recent answer.

On this page https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rd-charts.aspx if I choose US->Asia it shows the terms:

"8. Excludes Hong Kong. The following blackout dates apply for travel between North America and Asia in 2017: Jan 1, Jan 26 - 31, May 12 - Jun 30, Jul 14 - Aug 19, Sep 30 - Oct 10, Dec 8 - Dec 31"

Just want to be clear. By "Excludes Hong Kong" does this mean during the above dates:
  1. I can book award travel to HKG, but I cannot book travel to say NRT? or
  2. I can book award travel to NRT but not HKG?

Hoping it is #1 .

Thanks!
I don't think this footnote applies to CX... applies to one of the other carriers listed (not sure which). I am not aware of any restrictions / blackout dates for awards on CX.

DAK
Old May 24, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by beckoa
One free change? Are you outside of 60 days? If so, there's not a limit to the number of changes.
Yeah, the 'within 24 hours of booking' policy apparently only covers one free change. Otherwise I'm already within a month of my trip, so $125 for each change.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Polarbear19
Seems CX898 is no longer and was bumped to CX884.
Interesting. I just booked a one way award from BKK-HKG-LAX, travel in September. The HKG-LAX leg is CX898.

It's a first class award, 70,000 miles, stopping for two days in Hong Kong. Taxes were about $82 (does that sound right?) plus $12.50 for partner award.

She told me there would be a $15 phone booking fee but then waived it when I asked nicely.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Interesting. I just booked a one way award from BKK-HKG-LAX, travel in September. The HKG-LAX leg is CX898.

It's a first class award, 70,000 miles, stopping for two days in Hong Kong. Taxes were about $82 (does that sound right?) plus $12.50 for partner award.

She told me there would be a $15 phone booking fee but then waived it when I asked nicely.
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...as-of-10mar17/

"Hong Kong – Los Angeles eff 29OCT17 Reduce from 4 to 3 daily, CX898/897 cancelled"
Old May 24, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Another reason, if you have the miles, to book separate awards. I book DPSHKG And HKGJFK with a 22 hr layover as separate, as HKGJFK consistently releases inventory after I've already flown DPSHKG.
Does that mean you're redeeming an extra 27,500 miles for the DPSHKG segment as an intra-Asia award, on top of the 70k for HKGJFK?
Old May 24, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by xacutti
Hey folks

Apologies if this is already answered. Did a quick search but didn't find a definitive recent answer.

On this page https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rd-charts.aspx if I choose US->Asia it shows the terms:

"8. Excludes Hong Kong. The following blackout dates apply for travel between North America and Asia in 2017: Jan 1, Jan 26 - 31, May 12 - Jun 30, Jul 14 - Aug 19, Sep 30 - Oct 10, Dec 8 - Dec 31"

Just want to be clear. By "Excludes Hong Kong" does this mean during the above dates:
  1. I can book award travel to HKG, but I cannot book travel to say NRT? or
  2. I can book award travel to NRT but not HKG?

Hoping it is #1 .

Thanks!
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's hard to figure out because the AS award pages on the website were (re)designed so poorly, but Cathay Pacific isn't being discussed. There are no blackout dates on CX awards. Note that carriers are being discussed in alphabetical order.

It's hard to tell which airline IS being discussed. Probably KE (they have about a third of the year blacked out), maybe EK?
Originally Posted by dkerr
I don't think this footnote applies to CX... applies to one of the other carriers listed (not sure which). I am not aware of any restrictions / blackout dates for awards on CX.

DAK
The notes for blackout is for Korean Air. (8-11 apply to KE) Its part of the award chart being messed up since they re did it.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:53 pm

I would always hold out hope, but in my experience the furthest out I ever claimed a CX F award (aside from the edge of the booking window) was 11 days when the flight was F6. My best luck has been between T-11 days and T-4 hours, with most clustered around T-3 days. Good luck!

EDIT: My CX travel is exclusively in August, and my greatest success is JFKHKG early in the month. HKGJFK towards the end of the month is tougher due school return, I've never succeeded in getting 4 awards in that direction, only 2 and the second of those usually inside of 24 hours (hence the need to break the award, as referenced above). Hope this clarification helps - Jamie
Wonderful. Thanks. I check JAL once a day and don't expect anything but the neurotic me has to obsessively do so. I can already imagine that once it comes to 2-3 weeks out from departure, it will actively consume my life and I'll probably be reprimanded at work

Side note, I called AS partner desk this morning and asked the same question regarding changing the second leg of an itinerary once I start my trip and the rep said that it isn't a problem as long as it is a few hours from departure. Will have to call back and ask the same question in a month or two to get more DP.

Also mentioned that since the itinerary (ICN-HKG F and HKG-LAX J) is already an 'F ticket,' there would not be a change fee even inside of 60 days. I've had two reps tell me the same thing now, the other being the one that booked the itinerary.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
Does that mean you're redeeming an extra 27,500 miles for the DPSHKG segment as an intra-Asia award, on top of the 70k for HKGJFK?
That's the concept. I've done it with AA and BA currency several times, though technically have yet to do it with AS. It's primarily relevant when you're taking a long layover, as that increases the likelihood that F awards are released between the short-haul and long-haul segments (such as when I take a HKG layover after landing from DPS).

So while I technically haven't done it with AS, your price points are correct and the advice is hopefully still valuable.

Last edited by jamienbaker; May 25, 2017 at 4:57 am
Old May 24, 2017, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
The notes for blackout is for Korean Air. (8-11 apply to KE) Its part of the award chart being messed up since they re did it.
Thank you everyone for the explanation. OK will continue with my AS miles strategy
Old May 25, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Apologies if my questions have obvious answers - the discussion is (understandably) very weighted to US based flyers and I am having difficulty finding answers. (Not being able to look at CX availability on the AS web site doesn't help...)

I am looking to travel Japan/HKG/JNB/CPT. Which of those 3 legs could I get onto a single award? If it includes the first two I assume from what I've read that I won't be able to sop over in HKG?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Apologies if my questions have obvious answers - the discussion is (understandably) very weighted to US based flyers and I am having difficulty finding answers. (Not being able to look at CX availability on the AS web site doesn't help...)

I am looking to travel Japan/HKG/JNB/CPT. Which of those 3 legs could I get onto a single award? If it includes the first two I assume from what I've read that I won't be able to sop over in HKG?

Thanks in advance.
Japan to Hong Kong is one award. Japan to HKG to elsewhere in Asia would be one but no stop-over on CX award.

Hong Kong to JNB is another.

Stop-over is only allowed on CX awards to/from North America
Old May 25, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
That's the concept. I've done it with AA and BA currency several times, though technically have yet to do it with AS. It's primarily relevant when you're taking a long layover, as that increases the likelihood that F awards are released between the short-haul and long-haul segments (such as when I take a HKG layover after landing from DPS).

So while I technically haven't done it with AS, your price points are correct and the advice is hopefully still valuable.
Thanks. Advice is good and helpful. In our situation, if any additional seats open up, that should happen before we begin our return itinerary. That said, our return has a stop in HKG of 3 days, so there is a chance your concept might be employed. We are thinking of shortening that stop at the very end (moving the second return HKGUSA segment up by 1,2 or 3 days), which would necessitate the need to use your strategy, assuming CX didn't open up more seats ahead of T-3 days.

Thanks again!
Old May 25, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
Thanks. Advice is good and helpful. In our situation, if any additional seats open up, that should happen before we begin our return itinerary. That said, our return has a stop in HKG of 3 days, so there is a chance your concept might be employed. We are thinking of shortening that stop at the very end (moving the second return HKGUSA segment up by 1,2 or 3 days), which would necessitate the need to use your strategy, assuming CX didn't open up more seats ahead of T-3 days.

Thanks again!
Time of year may also influence your decision. I routinely fly HKGJFK towards the end of August, and have never gotten the 2nd F EXCEPT inside of 24 hours. But that's peak time. In fact, I've never gotten more than 2 F seats HKGJFK in late August...it's truly a battle.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by CDKing
Japan to Hong Kong is one award. Japan to HKG to elsewhere in Asia would be one but no stop-over on CX award.

Hong Kong to JNB is another.

Stop-over is only allowed on CX awards to/from North America
Thank you - much obliged! ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.