Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
Yea, the points you make are valid, but one other thing that I forgot to mention is that I could use those SQ points on a suites redemption to europe in the future. Maybe there would be really strong Alaska redemption to europe in lieu of that though.
It's entirely up to you. NH is hardly a hardship and neither is sitting in CX regional J for the four hours to HKG. If I were you it would all be up to optimizing long term use of my points across the various programs so that none go to waste. One other thing.... I assume you are on the 6am NH flight out of SIN. That means out of bed in the middle of the night. CX is likely to have a much more civilized departure time... either ~10am or ~12:30pm depending on which flight you are able to get from HKG to JFK.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dkerr
It's entirely up to you. NH is hardly a hardship and neither is sitting in CX regional J for the four hours to HKG. If I were you it would all be up to optimizing long term use of my points across the various programs so that none go to waste. One other thing.... I assume you are on the 6am NH flight out of SIN. That means out of bed in the middle of the night. CX is likely to have a much more civilized departure time... either ~10am or ~12:30pm depending on which flight you are able to get from HKG to JFK.
Yea the 6am departure time is rough. Real rough. Likely what I would do is just stay up all night and explore the airport and lounges. I don't trust myself not to oversleep. If I did sleep I'd probably stay at the transit hotels in the airport. No matter how I cut it the 6am departure just sucks.
Old May 18, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Yes, it is silly. Cathay first class is nice, but it's not nice enough to justify the time involved in doing this. You did really well with your redemption - enjoy it!

Is it silly for me to switch to Cx F if it opens up for a SIN-NYC flight with layover in HKG if I already have a redemption on ANA F for SIN-NRT-JFK all in F with $290 in fees? I'm just wondering if CX F would be a huge step up. Obviously the first class lounges in HKG are outstanding and I was at The Pier shortly after it opened and have not found a lounge to match that anywhere yet. I used the first class ANA F lounge when I had a suites class on SQ out of Tokyo and it was nice but not near the level of the CX lounges and HKG has some great food.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Id take NH for the steak ex Japan
Old May 18, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
Id take NH for the steak ex Japan
The steak?
Old May 18, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by KVS
What's the Flight #/Date?
HKG-YYZ - Mar 17 or 18.
4J on BA on 18th
Old May 18, 2017, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
HKG-YYZ - Mar 17 or 18.
4J on BA on 18th
JAL web site shows 4J available on 18th CX828 as of right now.

DAK
Old May 18, 2017, 9:24 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by rankourabu
HKG-YYZ - Mar 17 or 18.
4J on BA on 18th
The 4 C seats on 18 Mar are definitely available as a Partner redemption -- you need to find an Agent who is able to do a Long-Sell:

[KVS Tool 8.4.7/Diamond - Awards/JL-OneWorld/US]
Code:
HKG  Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok Intl HK [VHHH]
YYZ  Toronto Lester B Pearson Intl ON CA [CYYZ]
SAT  17 Mar 2018

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Award Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
CX         826     HKG   18:15     YTO   21:10     77W  0   CS0  YS0
[KVS Tool 8.4.7/Diamond - Awards/JL-OneWorld/US]
Code:
HKG  Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok Intl HK [VHHH]
YYZ  Toronto Lester B Pearson Intl ON CA [CYYZ]
SUN  18 Mar 2018

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Award Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
CX         828     HKG   10:40     YTO   13:30     77W  0   CS4  YS0
CX         826     HKG   18:15     YTO   21:10     77W  0   CS0  YS0
Old May 18, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The steak?
Wagyu beef fillet. its only on ANA long haul routes leaving NRT
Old May 19, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: QF,US,ANA
I would like to book a EWR-SEA (stop) LAX-HKG-SYD award , I would like to book the EWR-SEA Alaska leg as soon as my dates are available , will I be able to add the CX legs at a week later after the CX awards open up or would I have to book it all at once ?
Old May 19, 2017, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by ianp
I would like to book a EWR-SEA (stop) LAX-HKG-SYD award , I would like to book the EWR-SEA Alaska leg as soon as my dates are available , will I be able to add the CX legs at a week later after the CX awards open up or would I have to book it all at once ?
The answer is yes. However, CX awards are released before the AS booking window opens, so not sure why this is an issue. CX award will be hanging out there for three weeks, during which time their members (and BA members) are free to grab it. Then it's AS' turn after that.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
Can you book a mixed F-J award? e.x. JFK-HKG (F)-SIN (J).

What will it price at the F award pricing?
Old May 19, 2017, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by tennislover9
Can you book a mixed F-J award? e.x. JFK-HKG (F)-SIN (J).

What will it price at the F award pricing?
Yes and Yes.

Very (very [very]) occasionally CX will swap in a 777 with an F cabin on the HKG-SIN route but it is very very rare. If it does then you will not get to sit in F unless you have your ticket reissued. If you are going to get all depressed because you paid for F and can't sit in F in the (very unlikely) event that CX does swap in an aircraft with an F cabin then set up an equipment change alert on ExpertFlyer.

Did I put in enough qualifiers there to convey just how rare this is... over the next 2 weeks only CX 735 on May 27th is flying with an F cabin. That is like 1 flight out of 100... and yes it is available for sale as an award... but CX could do an equipment swap in the next 7 days and take away the F cabin.

DAK
Old May 20, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I need some last minute F award help! Alright, here are the facts:
- Flight (HKG-US) is less than 48 hours out
- F = 5 on ExpertFlyer, Business Class looks open, and even has available award inventory
- I begin my outbound journey in around 6 hours from TLV.

I'm trying to upgrade into F to sit with my companion, who is already in F. When things look this open, should I expect them to release seats within 24 hours of the flight, and if my outbound has already begun, will they be able to change mid-journey? We'll check both bags under the F passenger if that makes a difference. Thanks!
Old May 21, 2017, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ianp
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
The answer is yes. However, CX awards are released before the AS booking window opens, so not sure why this is an issue. CX award will be hanging out there for three weeks, during which time their members (and BA members) are free to grab it. Then it's AS' turn after that.
possibly since CX awards are booked by a human , However it doesn't seem to be allowed based on website search. I found saver space on separate one way tickets, EWR-SEA on AS and LAX-HKG on AA but when i piece together with muti-city there are no results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.