Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:38 pm

There's J award space showing on a BOS-HKG flight on BA/QF/JL, but when I called to book, the agent says there's no availability. It's frustrating because it's the last piece of a fairly complicated itinerary. Is this kind of phantom space common for cx awards?

Last edited by bgrove; Apr 29, 2017 at 3:13 am
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Yes, it's very common. It's also common to get Alaska agents that aren't super familiar with booking LAN and Cathay, though--both go through a separate process and they don't do very many of these awards. If someone tells you "no," it's worth trying multiple times to find out.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by TProphet
Yes, it's very common. It's also common to get Alaska agents that aren't super familiar with booking LAN and Cathay, though--both go through a separate process and they don't do very many of these awards. If someone tells you "no," it's worth trying multiple times to find out.
I'd imagine CX awards to be very common, judging by the number of posts there are here.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SilverChris
I'd imagine CX awards to be very common, judging by the number of posts there are here.
Looking solely at FT will lead to many wrong conclusions.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Many thanks. Yes, I have managed to find a nice HND-HKG in first, connecting to HKG-DPS in biz. Will give a phone and try and get booked.
Also make sure the stop in Hong Kong is 24 hours or less since no stop-overs on intra-asia award.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SilverChris
As of a few years ago, all of Alaska's international partners combined represented 3.5% of MP award redemptions.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
If you're here at all it means you're an avgeek and/or points nerd. Yes, most of the folks here are pretty savvy about this stuff, but it's definitely not representative of the population as a whole. Most people are like my family--they burn points inefficiently at non-saver award levels on domestic flights to Phoenix. Drives me nuts, but they aren't into flexibility so they get what they get.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by TProphet
If you're here at all it means you're an avgeek and/or points nerd. Yes, most of the folks here are pretty savvy about this stuff, but it's definitely not representative of the population as a whole. Most people are like my family--they burn points inefficiently at non-saver award levels on domestic flights to Phoenix. Drives me nuts, but they aren't into flexibility so they get what they get.
Please thank your family for helping make my life so awesome. I'll toast them from SGN this summer!

(kidding, my folks are the same way)
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Kieron
As of a few years ago, all of Alaska's international partners combined represented 3.5% of MP award redemptions.
I just took a glance at the chart, and it was 3.5% of award segments, not miles consumed. I imagine the international partner awards average a bit more per segment. Either way, the overwhelming majority of award miles are spent within Alaska Air Group.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
Also make sure the stop in Hong Kong is 24 hours or less since no stop-overs on intra-asia award.
If I wanted to book ICN-HKG on CX (and stay for 5 nights), would that be allowed as part of an already booked HKG-LAX award?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by CDKing
Ah yes thanks. My last two Awards have been JAL intra ASIA. That stopover rule is very generous!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by op487062
If I wanted to book ICN-HKG on CX (and stay for 5 nights), would that be allowed as part of an already booked HKG-LAX award?
Yes.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by op487062
Originally Posted by jinglish
Yes.
You could stay for a year. HKG stop-over is allowed on itin to/from north america

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Ah yes thanks. My last two Awards have been JAL intra ASIA. That stopover rule is very generous!
JAL is the only exception. Though you just cant stop-over on japan to japan. You can't even stop-over on an award involving partners on domestic routers.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
I'm looking at an award booking DXB-HKG-BKK, is this itinerary valid without breaking at HKG? If valid, can I do a stop-over in HKG on this itinerary?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
So...I'm new to trying to use my alaska miles, I've kinda just built them up and let them sit.

I was going to book a CX award this past week, maybe it's not news to you guys, but holy crap was it hard to find availability. I was looking for OCT so not close in, but certainly not 330 days out.

Quite easily found J/Y availability on the Cathay 350 from HKG-YVR. So like a naive fool, when I decided I needed to reverse the direction I figured I'd find it. WRONG. How about Cathay's other 2 flights a day from YVR. Nope. How about LAX? Nope. SFO? Nope.

I found like 1 first (which I didn't want) seat going NA-HKG for like 2 weeks. No Y seats, let alone J. Availability coming back HKG-NA seemed pretty open though. Is this kinda the standard? Is the trick to just book way in advance? I looked at the award calendar for JL too and it showed literally no availability for weeks going NA-BKK via NRT. Sources were BA search for CX and JL search engine for JL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.